Nexus 5 won't turn on or charge (looping)!! please help

ekemas

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
yesterday my Nexus 5 turned itself off and since then i can't get it back on. (Still got enough battery left then)
When I try to start my phone with the power button nothing happens, and also when I try it with different combinations in buttons it won't start.
Now, when I try to charge my nexus everytime the google logo shows up and it shuts itself down, this happens over and over again... as long as the phone is plugged in (same with usb connection on pc).
When I Try to do it in bootloader it shows up one second and shut itself off again.
I tried about everything but I can't figure this out, please help...
The device is/was rooted, I have to say that I did an update and after that it was half rooted I guess I don't know but for three days there stood a new update, but i never did it...

Please help.

Greetz

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Try holding the power button in until the phone boots up. It will seem like a long time. Maybe 20 or so seconds. Just keep holding the power button in.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. . Mine is not rooted tried updating my Facebook app it stopped with an error and rebooted itself.. since then it stays dead..:'( did Facebook kill my phone

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK.... You have a couple of options here.

First... from a powered down state.... hold the up volume and power button for about 10-20 seconds. Then hold the down volume and power button. It SHOULD turn on and go into the backup bootloader screen. The 5 has a secondary, backup bootloader (I learned about this when the Hellscore app borked my primary bootloader when it laid down the Nexus 4 kernel on top of it.. serves me right for trying to save some time).

If it stays in the bootloader now, at least you can go from there. If it STILL doesn't stay powered on, your toast. Something, probably in the power circuitry, is junk. The Nexus 5 is near impossible to brick because of a software problem. You can recovery from just about EVERYTHING.... well, short of something overwriting the primary AND backup bootloaders. But pretty much anything else can be recovered as long as it isn't something with the hardware.

If it stays up, from there, go in and clear your cache and reboot. That's might be a shot in the dark.... I'm guessing that your issue isn't just a corrupt cache. Reboot and see if you can get it to stay up. If not... repeat the above to get into the bootloader... do a factory reset.

Yeah, factory resets suck, but hopefully you loaded a custom recovery when you rooted and have a relatively recent system backup you can fall back on. If you DON'T and got your phone up and running.... LOAD A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP. :)

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope .. It does the same on doing that.. Its been 5 days and still the phone is dead!! looping over and over again if power key is pressed. :(:'(

Hello everyone,
yesterday my Nexus 5 turned itself off and since then i can't get it back on. (Still got enough battery left then)
When I try to start my phone with the power button nothing happens, and also when I try it with different combinations in buttons it won't start.
Now, when I try to charge my nexus everytime the google logo shows up and it shuts itself down, this happens over and over again... as long as the phone is plugged in (same with usb connection on pc).
When I Try to do it in bootloader it shows up one second and shut itself off again.
I tried about everything but I can't figure this out, please help...
The device is/was rooted, I have to say that I did an update and after that it was half rooted I guess I don't know but for three days there stood a new update, but i never did it...

Please help.

Greetz

Hi.. whats the status now??? Is your phone working??

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaurav796

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I am also facing similar problem.
Phone dont turn up. Google screen keeps flashing ON and worst part is that bootloader screen doesnt stay.:':)'(

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Let the phone go completely dead. May take a while. Once it's dead, plug it in and charge it. Then try to power it up.

My friend had a nexus 4 that wouldn't power up like this. He left it sitting there for like a week and it was dead, he charged it and tried it again, and it worked.

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I had the same exact issue and I tried every way of resolving the issue. Nothing works. Hopefully you bought it through google because your only option is to get it replaced. I wasn't even under warranty anymore but they were kind enough to replace my basically bricked device.

A temporary fix is to constantly tap the power button as the device boots. You'll be able to at least turn the phone on. Hope this helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

ruskiiwrx02

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/2edf6j/

bang the power button side of the phone firmly on something and it'll start working again (seems it gets stuck). I know it sounds crazy, but if you read the link above this method helped many, including myself. hope someone else finds this useful, i started freaking out, but then this saved my nexus 5.

SuperDad60

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
All, the "tapping the phone on a smooth hard surface on the button side" was a life saver. My son's phone also would not turn on, was looping, etc. He called their tech support, and got no positive results, only the option to send it in. Had we sent it in, they would have charged for the cracked screen, and he would have lost everything stored on the phone. This fixed it and it has been working fine for 3+ weeks.

chaingangritesh

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Holy fish it worked for me too :eek: :eek: am so freaking glad of this forum :D my problem got solved in 3 seconds :p

Guys you gotta trust this technique :)
reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/2edf6j/

bang the power button side of the phone firmly on something and it'll start working again (seems it gets stuck). I know it sounds crazy, but if you read the link above this method helped many, including myself. hope someone else finds this useful, i started freaking out, but then this saved my nexus 5.

seefouryoung

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Wondering the same thing too. I tried banging with it plugged in. Didn't work. Tried pressing the power button repeatedly really fast. Didn't work. Called Google and they wouldn't send me a replacement because I'm no longer under warranty. Transferred me to LG and they said I could ship the phone to be fixed. Anyone have any luck with LG repairing their phones? I read on a few forums that people got it fix for free while others were quoted $100-$200.

Stingbug

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Ha!, who would've guessed..., the bang/tapping method did work, at least for bringing the phone back to something. Would it stay that way?, we'll see. Kind of ironic that you have to fix these hi tech gadgets by hitting them.