Nexus 5 won't turn on or charge (looping)!! please help

kimberrlyc

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Omg, I've literally tried everything and did not think that hitting it off something would work. Wow. Thank you soooo much, Cannot believe that worked. Life saver. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Joshua Mc

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Made an account to say that banging the phone worked.. I also removed the side of the case and fiddled with the button too.. instantly fixed.

WTF Google :/

Kimmy369

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/2edf6j/

bang the power button side of the phone firmly on something and it'll start working again (seems it gets stuck). I know it sounds crazy, but if you read the link above this method helped many, including myself. hope someone else finds this useful, i started freaking out, but then this saved my nexus 5.

I thought this was was bull**** but it actually worked haha

Sarah Em

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Would appreciate some suggestions: my N5 has occasionally rebooted, but didn't seem to have any other problem until last week, when it refused to 'see' the SIM card. Since then, it starts to power up normally, but stops while still booting (I counted, and it , and it is the 16th iteration of the 'pretty Marshmallow' sequence).

I tried the suggestion to boot into recovery mode (http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html), but was only able to get as far as step 6 - couldn't get the next step to work (though that could have been me, and I will try again).

I also tried the 'bang the phone' suggestion - no difference.

I really need to get one file off the phone... I can revert to my old Galaxy Nexus for other stuff for the moment.

Suggestions gratefully received, including ones that cost!

Edited to add:

I tried the recovery boot, and must have done it right this time, because I was able to clear the cache. When I selected 'reboot system now' I got this error message:

Support API: 3
E: failed to mount / cache (Invalid argument)

Now, if I try to boot normally, I see 'Google' in white, then it just switches off again.

Last edited:

sourpumpkin

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site

bang the power button side of the phone firmly on something and it'll start working again (seems it gets stuck). I know it sounds crazy, but if you read the link above this method helped many, including myself. hope someone else finds this useful, i started freaking out, but then this saved my nexus 5.

Hello, i just experienced the same problem. While opening chrome, the phone died on me. Still had 80% battery left. I tried pressing volume up + down + power button, nothing happen. While charging, it only flashes google for a second before it restarts again. the same thing happen when i hold the buttons, it stays for only a second before it died again and on again and so on. So i didnt get to go to the next step.

btw, i did some banging as well, but it won't work.

Assistance please? Thx

Last edited:

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
All:
This is a known issue with the power buttons LG (as well as samsung and some others) uses on their phones. They are prone to go bad over time. The buttons are more complex with phones with batteries that are not easily pulled out (to reset the phone) so the button needs to distinguish between being pressed and being long pressed (as you would when you want to reset/reboot a frozen phone). The "bang the button" trick works initially when the button first starts going bad, but eventually will not work. When the phone gets stuck in the state as sourpumpkin describes, the button is stuck in the "depressed" state.

I speak from experience the nexus 5. It worked for me for a while, but no longer. I pulled the phone apart of confirmed with a volt meter that my button is in fact bad. For those of you with the know how, just look on youtube for nexus 5 replace power button and you will find videos on how to fix the issue as well as test the button with a volt meter.

Replacement buttons are under $1.00 on ebay (new). I think you can get them on amazon as well. You need to be handy with a soldering iron however if you want to fix the buttton yourself. There is also an indivdual that I found on youtube who will fix it for $35 dollars if you feel confortable mailing him your phone.

I have not yet fixed my phone (updgaded to a nexus 5x) but plan to in the future so my wife can "upgrade" to the nexus 5 from her old galaxy s4 mini. I'll follow up here when I do.

Ajay Duhan

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
OK.... You have a couple of options here.

First... from a powered down state.... hold the up volume and power button for about 10-20 seconds. Then hold the down volume and power button. It SHOULD turn on and go into the backup bootloader screen. The 5 has a secondary, backup bootloader (I learned about this when the Hellscore app borked my primary bootloader when it laid down the Nexus 4 kernel on top of it.. serves me right for trying to save some time).

If it stays in the bootloader now, at least you can go from there. If it STILL doesn't stay powered on, your toast. Something, probably in the power circuitry, is junk. The Nexus 5 is near impossible to brick because of a software problem. You can recovery from just about EVERYTHING.... well, short of something overwriting the primary AND backup bootloaders. But pretty much anything else can be recovered as long as it isn't something with the hardware.

If it stays up, from there, go in and clear your cache and reboot. That's might be a shot in the dark.... I'm guessing that your issue isn't just a corrupt cache. Reboot and see if you can get it to stay up. If not... repeat the above to get into the bootloader... do a factory reset.

Yeah, factory resets suck, but hopefully you loaded a custom recovery when you rooted and have a relatively recent system backup you can fall back on. If you DON'T and got your phone up and running.... LOAD A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP. :)

Hi, I had same problem, went to LG service center they replaced power switch, but after that I have Google logo...then it goes to Android logo with circles but won't start....they (LG) that I need to replace motherboard.... please advise...thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Before replacing the mobo, I'd try reloading the factory images. Can you get into recovery mode. Hold down the volumn down button while powering up.

FYI - I replaced my power button (bought a replacement online for a few dollars) and after some soldering work, the phone is as good as new.

Arun Karnati

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
This is absolutely crazy, for a second I thought it was a joke. But actually banging the phone on a hard surface and pressing the power button very hard worked the trick. Saved me the cost of a new phone. Thank you!!

NearlyBrickedNexus

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Mine is displaying some of the same systems of having a stuck power button. My first instinct when my phone wouldn't turn back on after me shutting it off was to try to unstick the power button but to no avail. Hitting it on something hard didnt help either. Oddly enough, the only way I was able to get it to boot again was to keep smacking it repeatedly against my palm as it booted.

Could there be another circuit problem?

I'm going to take it apart and see if there isn't anything I can find.

SatyaRCh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Alex. Much Appreciated.

My Nexus 5 is 2 years old and I did faced the issue the similar issue morning. Tried several options and then decided to try the ways from each post from start of this forum, nothing works. And then got a break though at your post.

So, I tried tapping my power button, at least 15 to 20 times. This worked !!

Thank you very much once again !!

abdelrahman_hasan

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank You very much :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz