Google Now Search Anywhere is Not Working

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on version 3.5.15 of Google Search on my Nexus 5 and the option to search from any screen is still not available for some reason. Is anyone else having this issue? This is a feature I would really like to use.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You have missed something. If you search about this feature you will find there are 2 things needed for it to work. 1) you need at least version 3.5+ of Google Search, and 2) you need the function enabled on your Google account which like all things Google is random and seems to take ages.

Mobilestash

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I am currently on version 3.5.15 of Google Search on my Nexus 5 and the option to search from any screen is still not available for some reason. Is anyone else having this issue? This is a feature I would really like to use.

I just did a test. I have six Google accounts and the most recent account shows the "ok Google" options in the settings, but the rest don't. Strange.

Posted via Android Central App

tmac9wr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem...I uninstalled updates and then reinstalled and the new version appeared on my phone! ...for about five minutes. The next time I tr4ied to use the voice command, Google Search had reverted to not having the "Ok Google"-anywhere functionality. Does anyone know if having a passcode on the phone could affect this? I feel like passcodes on phones are just standard procedure at this point so I can't imagine it would do anything.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
OK mine just started working on my Nexus 5 and 2012 Nexus 7. Good stuff. Very useful feature.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just waited for it and it just showed up tonight. Pretty cool. Almost as cool as the Moto X always listening..

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

xFORTRESSx

May 16, 2012
Visit site

Hey try this, go to settings>Apps>All>and look for Google Service Framework. Force stop the app, clear the data, and cache. I just did this and I automatically got OK Google hot word detection in any screen option. Good luck.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
OK guys this is something only Google can enable server side, and they are doing it by account. Even if you load the apk before you get the update it won't change anything until they enable it on their end.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Quasar

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't working on my Nexus 10 or Nexus 5 even with Google Play Services 5 and the updated search app. When I did a search on each device for "OK Google everywhere" the settings were quietly added to the app. I just happened to notice by chance on my Nexus 10 and tested the theory on the Nexus 5 after that.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't working on my Nexus 10 or Nexus 5 even with Google Play Services 5 and the updated search app. When I did a search on each device for "OK Google everywhere" the settings were quietly added to the app. I just happened to notice by chance on my Nexus 10 and tested the theory on the Nexus 5 after that.

I just tried this on my nexus 5 it worked.

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Excellent find, did this on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2012) and it worked, also worked on my Dad's Moto G.

sal33n

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You have missed something. If you search about this feature you will find there are 2 things needed for it to work. 1) you need at least version 3.5+ of Google Search, and 2) you need the function enabled on your Google account which like all things Google is random and seems to take ages.

OK so I have searched about this feature and really can't find any information on the function being enabled in your Google account? Where exactly do you mean "in your google account"? It did work for me the fist time I received the search update. I went through the options, said "OK GOOGLE" three times, set it to work on the lock screen and it worked.... ONLY once. Next time I go into the settings, the options to repeat the ok google to retrain are gone along with whether to use on lock screen. It makes no sense, but yet the audio history option is still there.

karimpas7

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have searched it yesterday and couldn't find it at settings...tonight there it was....
Settings>>voice>>OK google detection, enable it say "OK Google" 3 times to record your voice, that's it

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
As ridiculous as it sounds that a simple search would cause this settings feature to be added, it does seem to work! I did not have the feature on my N5, did the search and it suddenly appeared in the settings. Then I went to my wife's N4. Checked and it did not have the new setting. I did the search and then the setting appeared but then disappeared within a few secs(!). Then I noticed it suddenly had an update pending for google search. I applied that and then the new setting re-appeared. I have seen other forums where this search tip has been proven also.

I wish Google would communicate more about this stuff.

ejcrossl

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I was stuck at the older version of Google search, it said I was up to date, at 3.3 even though I have been running 4.4 for awhile. Did the search in google search for "ok google everywhere". Update to 3.6 available and the options for ok google everywhere were there too. So far working good!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34