Android L Battery Results on Nexus 5

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for sharing. I must say my Nexus 5 battery life seems okay too but obviously owners' usages will vary.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
They only used one test- a continuous browsing test with screen on. This doesn't say much about the phone or Android (it is a single app, probably Chrome). Doesn't test the radio (whichever they were not using for the test), sound, video, 3D graphics, screen input, GPS, sensors, blutooth, idle time, anything else.

My issue is the battery being sucked away when idle/standby at random times for no good reason. I don't see anything addressing that in Android L (so far, anyway). I am happy for any kind of battery improvement, of course.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Let me restate that statement.

You could get 30% out of it but you would take a lot of features that makes the nexus

Like buying an old Cadillac, chucking out the passenger seats and chromium-plated fenders and so on to save weight and get better fuel return...it would do it, but it would no longer be a Cadillac...?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The battery saving. Say the L is claimed to save a third. That can't come from the display because either the display is lit or its not, so in both examples given in the comparison, it must have used the same amount of charge. Call that a third. That means that the claimed saving must have come from the remaining two thirds. So the L must have been 50% more efficient, not 30%.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The battery saving. Say the L is claimed to save a third.

Well, nobody is really claiming that. Just that it could be a third in a specific situation, not overall.... but....

That can't come from the display because either the display is lit or its not, so in both examples given in the comparison, it must have used the same amount of charge. Call that a third. That means that the claimed saving must have come from the remaining two thirds. So the L must have been 50% more efficient, not 30%.

Correct you are... for the example test that was done. So it makes one wonder what was so horribly broken before in web browsing to have been wasting so much power.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Like buying an old Cadillac, chucking out the passenger seats and chromium-plated fenders and so on to save weight and get better fuel return...it would do it, but it would no longer be a Cadillac...?

not one worth buying.. lol

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait to see a finished L build and everything it's going to bring to Android. I've not installed the L Preview yet and have been itching to do so just to give it a go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app