Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crxssi
  • 1 Post By LightaDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android L Battery Results on Nexus 5

Google's Android L Project Volta boosts battery life by more than 30% on one and the same Nexus 5

Sounds VERY promising! I can't wait for the Fall.

My Nexus 5's battery life has been good. Gets me through my day without worry. But I certainly wouldn't mind 30% more!

Go Project Volta.
    Last edited by onthecouchagain; 07-03-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Default Re: Android L Battery Results on Nexus 5

Thank you for sharing. I must say my Nexus 5 battery life seems okay too but obviously owners' usages will vary.

Posted via Android Central App
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

They only used one test- a continuous browsing test with screen on. This doesn't say much about the phone or Android (it is a single app, probably Chrome). Doesn't test the radio (whichever they were not using for the test), sound, video, 3D graphics, screen input, GPS, sensors, blutooth, idle time, anything else.

My issue is the battery being sucked away when idle/standby at random times for no good reason. I don't see anything addressing that in Android L (so far, anyway). I am happy for any kind of battery improvement, of course.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    tonyr6 likes this.

I don't see it being a total 30% battery life.. that's insane for just an OS update.

maybe 10%
    but anything will be good
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

Let me restate that statement.

You could get 30% out of it but you would take a lot of features that makes the nexus
    My History of Phones.
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by LightaDroid View Post
    Let me restate that statement.

You could get 30% out of it but you would take a lot of features that makes the nexus
    Like buying an old Cadillac, chucking out the passenger seats and chromium-plated fenders and so on to save weight and get better fuel return...it would do it, but it would no longer be a Cadillac...?

The battery saving. Say the L is claimed to save a third. That can't come from the display because either the display is lit or its not, so in both examples given in the comparison, it must have used the same amount of charge. Call that a third. That means that the claimed saving must have come from the remaining two thirds. So the L must have been 50% more efficient, not 30%.

Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    The battery saving. Say the L is claimed to save a third.
    Well, nobody is really claiming that. Just that it could be a third in a specific situation, not overall.... but....

That can't come from the display because either the display is lit or its not, so in both examples given in the comparison, it must have used the same amount of charge. Call that a third. That means that the claimed saving must have come from the remaining two thirds. So the L must have been 50% more efficient, not 30%.
    Correct you are... for the example test that was done. So it makes one wonder what was so horribly broken before in web browsing to have been wasting so much power.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Like buying an old Cadillac, chucking out the passenger seats and chromium-plated fenders and so on to save weight and get better fuel return...it would do it, but it would no longer be a Cadillac...?

not one worth buying.. lol
    My History of Phones.
    2014 - Google Nexus 5
    belodion likes this.

Global Posts
    8,130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I can't wait to see a finished L build and everything it's going to bring to Android. I've not installed the L Preview yet and have been itching to do so just to give it a go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app