Is the Nexus 5 still worth getting?

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I made the mistake of getting a phone on a 2 year contract 2 years ago (never doing that again!) and it recently ended. I've looked at various phones and I'm having trouble deciding what to go for. I know specs and features and stuff, but I don't actually own any of the devices that I'm looking for, nor do I know anyone who does (iPhones everywhere where I live). Besides the Nexus 5, I've been looking at the OnePlus One (of course, it's extremely hard to get). If I can get my hands on the OnePlus One, I'd probably go for that, but if I don't (very likely), is the Nexus 5 still worth getting or should I wait longer?

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Hope you don't mind me asking some questions here instead of starting a new thread but we are basically asking same question.

My nexus 5 went thru the washing machine (from start to finish) and is now inside a bowl of rice. I do not know if it will turn on but if it does not should I buy another nexus 5 or are there better alternatives out there? Max I would want to spend is probably $400-450. When is the next nexus coming out? Should I buy a cheap smartphone to hold me over till then?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think its a really good phone to get if you decide on going with a Nexus 5. It'll be receiving updates from Google for the next year or two and and has great hardware. I don't think you've disappointed with whichever direction you go. However, if you do get your hands in a One Plus One be sure to let us know how you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hope you don't mind me asking some questions here instead of starting a new thread but we are basically asking same question.

My nexus 5 went thru the washing machine (from start to finish) and is now inside a bowl of rice. I do not know if it will turn on but if it does not should I buy another nexus 5 or are there better alternatives out there? Max I would want to spend is probably $400-450. When is the next nexus coming out? Should I buy a cheap smartphone to hold me over till then?

I love my Nexus 5. In addition to that in your price range would be the Moto X, Moto G (good choice while you wait for the next Nexus), and some of the Chinese phones. Also the OnePlus if it becomes available. And the next Moto X is due probably in August.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I love my Nexus 5. In addition to that in your price range would be the Moto X, Moto G (good choice while you wait for the next Nexus), and some of the Chinese phones. Also the OnePlus if it becomes available. And the next Moto X is due probably in August.

But out of all those the nexus 5 is better than all correct? I noticed there had been some deals on nexus 5, a 32gb for as low as $385 total and a 16 gb for as low as $256 total not too long ago. Hopefully one pops up soon and I can get another N5. If I were to buy new from a store on ebay would I still have warranty thru google? My original n5 was bought thru google play and I got an exchange a few months ago due to gps not working, does that only apply when bought thru google?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
But out of all those the nexus 5 is better than all correct? I noticed there had been some deals on nexus 5, a 32gb for as low as $385 total and a 16 gb for as low as $256 total not too long ago. Hopefully one pops up soon and I can get another N5. If I were to buy new from a store on ebay would I still have warranty thru google? My original n5 was bought thru google play and I got an exchange a few months ago due to gps not working, does that only apply when bought thru google?

Yes, the warranty is only if you buy through Google. You're on your own if you buy from eBay (although I've heard some people were still able to get replacement through Google but don't count on that). For me it's the best, but I've never had an X so I can't really compare from experience. :) Spec-wise it's the best.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If my phone (a Nexus 5) broke in the next month I would either buy another. If you're really worried about what is coming in October/November (when the N6 will likely go on sale) you could always grab a Moto G for ~$200 and save your money for the next big thing.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
If my phone (a Nexus 5) broke in the next month I would either buy another. If you're really worried about what is coming in October/November (when the N6 will likely go on sale) you could always grab a Moto G for ~$200 and save your money for the next big thing.

I had no problems with my Nexus 5 but was wondering if for the same price there had been better phones released that might be worth looking at.

As for something to hold me over until the N6 I was thinking something just for receiving emails, web and gps navigation so a $100 phone like the optimus F6.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I made the mistake of getting a phone on a 2 year contract 2 years ago (never doing that again!) and it recently ended. I've looked at various phones and I'm having trouble deciding what to go for. I know specs and features and stuff, but I don't actually own any of the devices that I'm looking for, nor do I know anyone who does (iPhones everywhere where I live). Besides the Nexus 5, I've been looking at the OnePlus One (of course, it's extremely hard to get). If I can get my hands on the OnePlus One, I'd probably go for that, but if I don't (very likely), is the Nexus 5 still worth getting or should I wait longer?

Were you only looking in the price range of the oneplus one and nexus 5? If so it looks like the nexus 5 is still the way to go unless you can hold off until oct/nov for the N6

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I only bought my Nexus 5 a month ago, when my Galaxy S2 died. I looked at about six phones, including S5, Moto G and X, HTC One, and Xperia. Bang-for-buck, I could not fault the Nexus 5. It isn't the best phone out there... but it's pretty darn good, and punches well above its weight in value for money. I'd buy another Nexus 5 in a heartbeat.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the warranty will only be covered by Google if purchased through them. If you buy new elsewhere, LG should still pick up the warranty service for 1 year from purchase.

Regarding price, I think the One Plus starts at a price cheaper than the N5. I could be wrong though. Either way, both are good value buys.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Were you only looking in the price range of the oneplus one and nexus 5? If so it looks like the nexus 5 is still the way to go unless you can hold off until oct/nov for the N6
I'm willing to spend around $500 max. The reason why those two are at the top of my list is because they without a doubt have the best software experiences on any Android phone on the market today and are still pretty powerful. The problem is that the OnePlus One is hard to get, Moto X is getting old (and not sure if I want to wait for the X+1), and the Nexus 5 is also nearing the time when it'll be replaced (and that software wise it's fantastic but hardware wise, there's a couple big problems). Maybe the Find 7a? I'm sure the Nexus 6 and Moto X+1 will be amazing, but I'd prefer not to wait that long. Really, what I want is a phone with great software (either out of the box or has many custom roms developed for it) and has hardware that's powerful enough to do anything I'd like it to do and that it won't drive me insane that I need to charge it every five seconds or that I can't take a good picture with it.

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The N5 is kinda dated now, compared to the newest phones, that have better hardware and screens, so imo, I would pick up a used Nexus 4, for around $150-$200, and just use that until November ish, when the next Nexus or Android Silver phones come out, and besides, the N4 is still a beast of a phone, I have my day one N4 16GB still, and it runs just as fast as my N5, so it's still a good option!

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think its a really good phone to get if you decide on going with a Nexus 5. It'll be receiving updates from Google for the next year or two and and has great hardware. I don't think you've disappointed with whichever direction you go. However, if you do get your hands in a One Plus One be sure to let us know how you like it.

Nexus 4 didn't get L. If the Nexus 4 gets L, then yes I would agree Google will support the 5 for some time. My impression was, however, that each device is only supported for about 18 months.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 4 didn't get L. If the Nexus 4 gets L, then yes I would agree Google will support the 5 for some time. My impression was, however, that each device is only supported for about 18 months.

Sundar Pichai responded to a post on Google+ saying Nexus 4 and 2012 Nexus 7 will get L.

Sent from my Nexus 5

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

The nexus 5 didn't get L yet either. Everyone who has it is side loading it which anyone with a 4 can do too.

People with S3 have been getting updates to kitkat. It looks like Google may be extending updates for older phones.

parker5011

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Get the moto g 4g lte from Motorola.com for $219. Then use it and wait for the 6 to come out. You may not even want it after using the G. For my use it's the best bang for the buck out there. Great phone. Amazing price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
2 things.

1. No one has gotten an L update yet. When it happens, the 4, 5, both 7's and the 8 will get it (my assumption, no source other than common sense).
2. Yes; it's still a top 5 device and some devices released this year are not.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
2 things.

1. No one has gotten an L update yet. When it happens, the 4, 5, both 7's and the 8 will get it (my assumption, no source other than common sense).
2. Yes; it's still a top 5 device and some devices released this year are not.

Sundar Pichai confirmed that on a Google+ post. All currently supported Nexuses get Android L

Sent from my Nexus 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie