Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

Question LTE or WiFi longer battery life?

Since T-Mobile offers unlimited streaming for many of the music services like Slacker, DI, Sky.fm that I subscribe to I wonder streaming them on LTE if it uses less battery life than streaming them on WiFi on 5 Ghz?

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: LTE or WiFi longer battery life?

That will likely depend on the signal strength. But from my experience, WiFi seems to use less battery. YMMV
    tonyr6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    That will likely depend on the signal strength. But from my experience, WiFi seems to use less battery. YMMV
    +1

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Thanks. I get 2 to 3 bars on WiFi in another room and on LTE I get 1 to 2 bars.

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    Thanks. I get 2 to 3 bars on WiFi in another room and on LTE I get 1 to 2 bars.
    While Android has improved the signal strength indicator considerably since 4.4.3 onwards, I still think you shouldn't trust it entirely for this purpose.
    I'd look at the actual RSRP (in dBm) measurement. On Sprint, I can dial *#*#DEBUG#*#* on the Nexus 5 dialer and look at the LTE engineering section to find out the exact LTE signal strength. RSRP levels for usable signal typically range from about -75 dBm close in to an LTE cell site to -120 dBm at the edge of LTE coverage.
    I think this same check will work on T-mo as well.

A strong WiFi signal sips charge. If the WiFi radio can turn down the power and maintain its connection, it'll have little to no impact on your battery..... conversely, a bad Wifi link will devour your battery. And while the same still holds true with LTE, it'll still use up a charge quicker than a good WiFi link, no matter how strong it is.

But a good T-M LTE link is like a direct pipe into the internet backbone..... dat speed!. I never get a really good LTE link at my house, but if I did, I would consider dropping off my home WiFi and sticking to LTE... damn the battery hit.