Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default mobile standby eating all battery LTE data only service

I have nexus 5 phone in japan with a data only sim card, I have no phone service, I use the phone for map and skype and email. I have noticed that the battery life is dropping fast. my nexus 7 does not have this problem so I figure it was phone related. under the settings under battery the largest user is mobile standby at 89 percent, it says 100% there is no signal. during this time it has been connected to my wifi (if that makes a difference)

I figured the stupid thing is spending a lot of time looking for a phone signal when I dont care, it finds the lte data APN fine when its out of wifi range (or when I turn off the wifi on the phone) the perfered connection type under the mobile network settings is lte

as a side note, I have used this phone in spain with both voice and data and they work fine. started notice the battery issue when I was back in japan with the data only chip.

is mobile standby a strictly phone connection cient (GSM or WCDMA)? is it needed for LTE? can it be turned off so just data connections are checked? do I need to set the phone protocal setting I should have set some where (for data only mode)?

thanks

Default Re: mobile standby eating all battery LTE data only service

I don't know if this will help (or even work) but try opening the dialer app and dial *#*#4636#*#* then tap "Phone information"

Scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and try setting it to "LTE only".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if this will help (or even work) but try opening the dialer app and dial *#*#4636#*#* then tap "Phone information"

Scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and try setting it to "LTE only".

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: mobile standby eating all battery LTE data only service

You'd need to turn off the 2g radio. If you are rooted, it is fairly easy to do - I'm guessing it can be done while being unrooted, but I don't know how.
    I don't think setting it to LTE only will resolve the issue though.