Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default mobile standby eating all battery LTE data only service

I have nexus 5 phone in japan with a data only sim card, I have no phone service, I use the phone for map and skype and email. I have noticed that the battery life is dropping fast. my nexus 7 does not have this problem so I figure it was phone related. under the settings under battery the largest user is mobile standby at 89 percent, it says 100% there is no signal. during this time it has been connected to my wifi (if that makes a difference)

I figured the stupid thing is spending a lot of time looking for a phone signal when I dont care, it finds the lte data APN fine when its out of wifi range (or when I turn off the wifi on the phone) the perfered connection type under the mobile network settings is lte

as a side note, I have used this phone in spain with both voice and data and they work fine. started notice the battery issue when I was back in japan with the data only chip.

is mobile standby a strictly phone connection cient (GSM or WCDMA)? is it needed for LTE? can it be turned off so just data connections are checked? do I need to set the phone protocal setting I should have set some where (for data only mode)?

thanks

Default Re: mobile standby eating all battery LTE data only service

I don't know if this will help (or even work) but try opening the dialer app and dial *#*#4636#*#* then tap "Phone information"

Scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and try setting it to "LTE only".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if this will help (or even work) but try opening the dialer app and dial *#*#4636#*#* then tap "Phone information"

Scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and try setting it to "LTE only".

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

You'd need to turn off the 2g radio. If you are rooted, it is fairly easy to do - I'm guessing it can be done while being unrooted, but I don't know how.
    I don't think setting it to LTE only will resolve the issue though.

*push*
    I am still having this problem on my Nexus 5 on Android 5.0.1 and have no idea what to do I tried the LTE only setting but it did not work....

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    You'd need to turn off the 2g radio. If you are rooted, it is fairly easy to do - I'm guessing it can be done while being unrooted, but I don't know how.
    I don't think setting it to LTE only will resolve the issue though.
    How do i turn off my 2G Radio? My phone is rooted.

Thanks for the help.

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Merry93 View Post
    *push*
    How do i turn off my 2G Radio? My phone is rooted.
    Wow - this was a while ago
    At that time, The Nexus 5 was on 4.x (not Lollipop), and so, XPosed was available. I used GravityBox to turn off the 2g radio.
    Since you are on Lollipop now, XPosed framework won't work

Sorry, not the news you were hoping for. I don't know of another way to disable the 2g radio only