Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery life

Is it really this bad? The only phone I've had with worse battery life was the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. I have the some amount of background process and software that I had with my Nexus 4, S4 GPE and Z Ultra yet I find it doesn't even last a full day with mild use. I've tried stock and CM11 just to see if anything would help and its the same story.

I admit I have everything running location services etc but it hasn't been an issue with any phone since my Skyrocket.

Not mad but kind of disappointed and wishing I would have just held out for the real OPO release or next Nexus.

Default Re: Battery life

Unless I'm using mine heavily, I rarely have to charge it midday. I often turn off wifi, mobile data, and Bluetooth if I don't have the phone on me (like if I'm home), but if I'm carrying it around work, I'll have wifi on (but mobile data off). Location services on Battery Saving--I don't need GPS to tell me exactly where I am to the foot. Apps like Facebook are set to manual refresh--whenever I open it, I just swipe down once, and it updates quickly. I get around 3 hours of total screen-on time (projected--i.e., if I were to use the phone until it died).

Probably the biggest factor for battery drain for me is poor signal--I have T-Mobile, and reception in my work location can be variable. How's yours?
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Take a look at this post by B. diddy in battery saving tips, it's worth a good look: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips

When I was stock battery life was great. Do the little things to conserve battery and consider a clean reset to do a little housecleaning of the apps and services you may not be using.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Unless I'm using mine heavily, I rarely have to charge it midday. I often turn off wifi, mobile data, and Bluetooth if I don't have the phone on me (like if I'm home), but if I'm carrying it around work, I'll have wifi on (but mobile data off). Location services on Battery Saving--I don't need GPS to tell me exactly where I am to the foot. Apps like Facebook are set to manual refresh--whenever I open it, I just swipe down once, and it updates quickly. I get around 3 hours of total screen-on time (projected--i.e., if I were to use the phone until it died).

Probably the biggest factor for battery drain for me is poor signal--I have T-Mobile, and reception in my work location can be variable. How's yours?
    Oh.... reception brings up a good point. It can be bad at home where battery seems to drain the most. Other phones except the Z Ultra (which had a huge battery which kind of rules it out) were used with ATT which had better reception most places.

Posted via Android Central App

The battery problems for me are bad reception at home, Data signal drops, and a misbehaving app.
    1. Poor reception: "Phone Idle & Cell Standby Android apps use battery life. A solution is to use Airplane Mode ON followed by Wi-Fi ON. No cell service but good battery life.
    2. Misbehaving app: My music streaming app (BubbleUpnp) never gave me a problem until recent updates. Then it started using high battery. Now the problem is random. The app seems to behave worse on my tablet (V4.2.1) than my N5 (V4.4.4). Rebooting helps. I seem to have a Wake Lock ON problem.
    3. Data Signal drops: Recent updates to KitKat caused me frequent data signal drops and battery usage. I switched my wireless music streaming over to my N5. For some reason, my data signal drops have disappeared. It's like the streaming app told KitKat not to drop the signal. Strange?

Odviously I am still trying to sort out my issues.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Google_Superuser View Post
    Is it really this bad? The only phone I've had with worse battery life was the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. I have the some amount of background process and software that I had with my Nexus 4, S4 GPE and Z Ultra yet I find it doesn't even last a full day with mild use. I've tried stock and CM11 just to see if anything would help and its the same story.

I admit I have everything running location services etc but it hasn't been an issue with any phone since my Skyrocket.

Not mad but kind of disappointed and wishing I would have just held out for the real OPO release or next Nexus.
    Yup, I've noticed the poor battery life as well. Coming from a N4, I thought that with a larger battery, I could actually use my phone throughout the day. I don't dare to do internet searches with my N5. Good god! It would last half the day. When I first got my N5, my battery would just die from sitting in my pocket all day. Turns out that Google Services was running wild. So I turned the location services to "low-bat" setting. It has helped with battery life, but its still pretty damn "meh" at best.