Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Art or dalvik

I'm thinking to chg to Art from Dalvik. I wanna know are there ppl using Art out here without rooting your phone?? If so did you find any positive chg after using it? Pls enlighten us.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Art or dalvik

Lots of people are using ART with no problems. There might be a few apps out there that still don't work well with ART, but considering that Android L (5.0) will be using ART by default, I'm sure that issue will disappear quickly. Performance is probably boosted a little, but most people won't notice.

using ART here and no problems at all.
    all apps i have seem to work fine.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies.

So far the only incompatibility issues I've come across have been with various games. Everything else seems to work fine.

By now, there aren't many apps left that aren't ART compatible. The ones that aren't still (like Xposed) will never be compatible in KitKat, so if you use that, it would factor into your decision.

But there's nothing risked by switching and giving it a shot. Worst case, some app you use isn't compatible and you switch back. No harm, no foul.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

ART isn't compatible with Xposed framework, if you aren't using that then you could give ART a try. I'm on Android L which is ART only. I haven't had any application problems but I've had some serious battery drain issues but I don't know what to attibute that to.

The only app I have problems with running ART is -- with some sense of irony -- one that my service provider pushes to the phone. It ran well on my Galaxy S2 but crashes on the Nexus 5 and I presume it is the ART environment. Not a huge loss but the part of it that does work is a lightweight and accurate unmetered weather widget, so I left it on the phone.
    Banned

I'm staying with Dalvik for now. I had a couple minor issues, so...... I'll jump on once "L" is officially released.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Pages manager by facebook which I use very often is something not sorted by art it seems because it takes good 6-8 seconds to start

I switched to ART. I can't say I noticed much difference. I had one widget, Yahoo Weather, that wouldn't load but I switched to a smaller Yahoo Weather widget and it loaded fine. I also increased the Window Animation Scale, Transition Animation Scale, and Animator Duration Scale each by .5 and had no problem with that, either. As for a performance increase, I can state without any hesitation that would be a solid maybe. I'll leave it up to those geekier than me to say.

I was just about to ask the same thing. I switched last winter on my Moto X and had some difficulty with apps, so I haven't done it yet on my Nexus. I'm thinking about giving it another go if it is working so well now.

Switched to ART a while back, removed the Xposed Framework first, for now, they have announced that Xposed will be rewritten to work with ART once Android L is in final release. Will go back to using some of the great modules that run using Xposed once it runs with ART.

Think I get slightly battery life with ART.