Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-Fi keeps turning on and mobile data keeps turning off!

Hey, all!

I got my Nexus 5 on the 2nd of this month. I'm on Android 4.4.4. Just today, I was out and about and I realized that, although I was going into settings and turning Wi-Fi off, it just kept turning it right back on! (I had been using the Wi-Fi at the mall, then later I went to a friend's house and connected to my friend's Wi-Fi, which did not work.) So, I turned on my data, only for it to turn off after I guess about 30 seconds. I turned it back on, went on WhatsApp, in the middle of replying to a text from my friend it goes off yet again! What the... So, I went into settings and turned data on, and Wi-Fi off. As I watched, the Wi-Fi switched itself back on, and, predictably, even though there were no wireless networks to connect to, my data turned off as well.

This is really inconvenient. What could be causing the problem? I don't think I've downloaded any apps recently, but they do sometimes update. It was working fine on Thursday, but I've had my data off since then. I also booted into Safe Mode, and the problem doesn't seem to persist. What should I do?

Default Re: Wi-Fi keeps turning on and mobile data keeps turning off!

Without knowing what apps you have installed I would first suggest going into wifi advanced settings and make sure that "Keep wifi on during sleep" is set to "Only when plugged in." I also have "Scanning always available" unchecked/off. I also have "Wifi optimization" unchecked/off because it seems to find my router and repeater faster when I roam around the house but that shouldn't really apply to your problem. I'm assuming that data is being enabled in Settings/Wireless & Networks/More.../Mobile Networks. In "Mobile Networks" also make sure you have "Preferred network type" using 3G or LTE. Is your APN (Access Point Names) set up correctly? Is your sim card provisioned correctly? I'm guessing in one of those settings it's not setup right, if I choose to I can leave my wifi on 24/7 and never lose my data connection so it seems to me something is not setup correctly.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hey wantabe,

It was working fine on Thursday so I'm pretty sure my APNs are set up. It's really weird to watch, because if I turn on data and turn off the Wi-Fi and then go into settings where it shows networks, I just have to wait like 30 seconds until all of a sudden my data goes off and the switch for Wi-Fi turns to "on" by itself. This is really annoying me and I don't want to delete any apps but I think that I may just delete everything.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I had AVG installed and the AVG Cleaner app so I deleted those, along with a few games. We'll see what happens. I'm on mobile data right now and it hasn't turned off... yet. However, I will restart the phone and see what happens. I really liked AVG and the few other apps that I deleted so hopefully I can reinstall them one by one and figure out what was causing the problem!

Question Re: Wi-Fi keeps turning on and mobile data keeps turning off!

I am having the same issue with my Note 3. Mobile Data just turns off. I have Juice Defender on my phone so I'm wondering if it turns mobile data off to save battery? Just guessing.