Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pseudoware
  • 1 Post By belodion
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Selling, does this sound right/safe?

I just put my mint condition N5 on craigslist for what I think is a fair price. Someone replied with an offer that's $150 more than my asking, plus shipping. They asked for a PayPal request. I said I'll only ship once the money has been confirmed in my bank account, and will only ship within the U.S.

I'm awaiting a reply, but I'm wondering if this sounds suspicious to anyone. I'm assuming this person can't buy from Google Play for whatever reason. Thanks.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Selling, does this sound right/safe?

Is it a verified address?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope. I just told the "buyer" no deal if no verified email. I'll cease communication if the the next reply does not provide one.

Edit: Their reply: "You are un serious fellow" WTF?

Edit Edit: I don't deal w/PayPal or CL often. This warning on CL:

"Please be wary of distant 'buyers' responding to your ad! Many sellers receive replies from scammers hoping to defraud them through schemes involving counterfeit cashier's checks and/or wire transfers. These checks will clear the bank, but the person cashing the check will be held responsible when the fraud is discovered."

Be careful!
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts

Don't do it. Anything where they won't meet in person has fraud all over it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    Don't do it. Anything where they won't meet in person has fraud all over it.
    Thanks, I just added "NO SHIPPING" to the listing.

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts

Edit: Their reply: "You are un serious fellow" WTF?
    Given that reply alone I'd stop that transaction. If they can't communicate simply and even close to professionally you don't want to do business with them.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Just the fact that they offered 150.00 more than the asking price is a major red flag. Who would do that?. Scammers that's who!

Don't do it, its a scam. Every time I post something on there that's the first reply I get from a strange # offering more than what I asked & asking me to ship it to him then he'll pay.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Global Posts
    10,474 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Be very cautious with offers that go far above your asking price. It's best to not be greedy and settle with your asking price and/or going price of the device.

Seems like you know what you need to do now - good luck .

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

+1 to what almost everyone said.
    Craigslist is different than eBay. If you want to be safe, accept only cash. No paypal, no western union, no check, no cashier's check, no IOU, nothing other than cash, and meet in a public place. (Never ship - ever!)

The fact that they offered more than asking price is the biggest warning in itself - that puts that person on my blacklist and doesn't even get a response from me on CL.

On eBay, payment via paypal is fine because ebay offers buyer/seller protection. On CL, you have nothing like that.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks for the replies. Not even sure why I gave this person the time, being the un serious fellow that I am.
    jj14x likes this.

Very useful thread that will serve to alert us all to the need for caution in such situations.

Try selling to www.gazelle.com, they buy Android phones and tablets.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by macroguy07 View Post
    Try selling to Gazelle, they buy Android phones and tablets.
    I sold a not-too-old-at-the-time phone their a few years ago. They gave me $12.

Quote Originally Posted by macroguy07 View Post
    Try selling to Gazelle, they buy Android phones and tablets.
    They low ball you. It's garunteed and better than nothing, but I've probably gotten a better return giving my kid my old phones to play with than selling them at sites like that.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

You have to limit Craigslist sales to face to face. Craiglist is full of scammers. A few years ago I tried to sell a car on Craigslist, I got very few legitimate responses, most of the responses were from Nigerians who wanted me to ship my car to London.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
    ... , most of the responses were from Nigerians who wanted me to ship my car to London.
    So, what's the problem with that? 😉

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

A guy here in the UK played along with a scammer from one of the African countries some time ago, and arranged to meet him for handing over a large sum of money in a remote spot in Cornwall, far southwest of the British mainland. It meant a flight to London, a tube to Paddington Station, a long wait for the right train, a very long train journey, and a long taxi ride to the remote spot. The meeting between the guy and the scammer, and the scammer having to go all the way back to the African country without the money he'd been hoping for, was televised, and was deeply satisfying viewing.

pseudoware likes this.