Selling, does this sound right/safe?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just put my mint condition N5 on craigslist for what I think is a fair price. Someone replied with an offer that's $150 more than my asking, plus shipping. They asked for a PayPal request. I said I'll only ship once the money has been confirmed in my bank account, and will only ship within the U.S.

I'm awaiting a reply, but I'm wondering if this sounds suspicious to anyone. I'm assuming this person can't buy from Google Play for whatever reason. Thanks.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I just told the "buyer" no deal if no verified email. I'll cease communication if the the next reply does not provide one.

Edit: Their reply: "You are un serious fellow" WTF?

Edit Edit: I don't deal w/PayPal or CL often. This warning on CL:

"Please be wary of distant 'buyers' responding to your ad! Many sellers receive replies from scammers hoping to defraud them through schemes involving counterfeit cashier's checks and/or wire transfers. These checks will clear the bank, but the person cashing the check will be held responsible when the fraud is discovered."

Be careful!

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Their reply: "You are un serious fellow" WTF?

Given that reply alone I'd stop that transaction. If they can't communicate simply and even close to professionally you don't want to do business with them.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't do it, its a scam. Every time I post something on there that's the first reply I get from a strange # offering more than what I asked & asking me to ship it to him then he'll pay.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Be very cautious with offers that go far above your asking price. It's best to not be greedy and settle with your asking price and/or going price of the device.

Seems like you know what you need to do now - good luck :).

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
+1 to what almost everyone said.
Craigslist is different than eBay. If you want to be safe, accept only cash. No paypal, no western union, no check, no cashier's check, no IOU, nothing other than cash, and meet in a public place. (Never ship - ever!)

The fact that they offered more than asking price is the biggest warning in itself - that puts that person on my blacklist and doesn't even get a response from me on CL.

On eBay, payment via paypal is fine because ebay offers buyer/seller protection. On CL, you have nothing like that.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Very useful thread that will serve to alert us all to the need for caution in such situations.

Posted via Android Central App

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You have to limit Craigslist sales to face to face. Craiglist is full of scammers. A few years ago I tried to sell a car on Craigslist, I got very few legitimate responses, most of the responses were from Nigerians who wanted me to ship my car to London.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A guy here in the UK played along with a scammer from one of the African countries some time ago, and arranged to meet him for handing over a large sum of money in a remote spot in Cornwall, far southwest of the British mainland. It meant a flight to London, a tube to Paddington Station, a long wait for the right train, a very long train journey, and a long taxi ride to the remote spot. The meeting between the guy and the scammer, and the scammer having to go all the way back to the African country without the money he'd been hoping for, was televised, and was deeply satisfying viewing.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech