No photos on N5, but 3.16 GB from Setting>Storage?!

Jason Mills3

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
hey all,

I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing figured out so thought I'd ask on here.

Basically, I clicked Settings > Storage and noticed 3.46 GB of photos/videos showing in that area (nice purple bar). Since I auto back-up my photos to Google+, I wanted to free up some storage space. I deleted all of the photos on my device and the Gallery showed no photos. Likewise, clicking the Photos app > On Device option showed the lovely "No Photos Found" text.

I went back to Settings > Storage, the photos/videos area still showed 3.16 GB! So I searched for an answer and followed some recommendations:

* I deleted the DCMI > Camera > .thumbnails folder (No good)
* I then added an empty file called .thumbnails to that area so that the thumbnails folder could not be recreated (No good)
* I went to Google+ and deleted the Auto Back-up items that I no longer wanted (No good. Seeing a trend here).

So I ask y'all for a step-by-step guide on how to correct his problem. I am using ES File Explorer to look through all of my storage and my N5 is NOT rooted (not ready for that yet!). Anyway, I appreciate ANY help you can provide.

Jason "InVinoVeritas" Mills

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There might be other big thumbnail database files elsewhere, not just in the DCIM folder. Try the Pictures folder. I have a folder there called com.google.android.googlephotos that is almost 500 mb in size.

Jason Mills3

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
All,

I deleted the items in Pictures (15 mb). I then clicked the 3.16 GB under SETTINGS > STORAGE. i was taken to the Gallery app. It has 1 image that i downloaded from a text yesterday. Long story short. Those suggestions didnt work. Is there another suggestion?

Jason

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, have you tried a soft reset to see if that triggers the Pictures and Videos storage to nought, which is what it ought to be if you've deleted everything?

Posted via Android Central App

Jason Mills3

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
ok. tried clearing the system cache, but other than learning how to do that, I got no joy (AKA, the stuff still has 3.14 GB identified as being in use).

grantdickson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Download storage analyser from the play store. That will tell you where the storage is being used

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 12928.jpg
    12928.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox