Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jj14x
  • 1 Post By jj14x
  • 2 Post By mysilly
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What can I do about my Nexus 5 battery life?

I'm getting pretty tired of this device. I really want to like it but recently, for no apparrent reason my Nexus runs very warm and the battery drops very rapidly and charges very slowly. I left it plugged into the wall charger for 6-7 hours and by morning it was only 49% charged. A few hours later when I was out, the battery was dead and the phone was hot.

What can I do, it's driving me nuts? Here are some screenshots:

What can I do about my Nexus 5 battery life?-screenshot_2014-07-23-21-58-18.jpg

What can I do about my Nexus 5 battery life?-screenshot_2014-07-23-21-58-25.jpg

What can I do about my Nexus 5 battery life?-screenshot_2014-07-24-07-29-49.jpg

I don't root my phone and I have the latest 4.4.4 update.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: What can I do about my Nexus 5 battery life?

You've tried rebooting to see if the drain stops, correct?

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Looking at this, something is keeping your phone awake almost the entire time. You can try to install GSAM battery monitor that may help determine what is causing that wakelock. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...labs.bbm&hl=en
    Also, have you rebooted your phone recently? If not, you should try that first.

One last thing - It looks like you are in an area with bad mobile signal - that may be adding to the battery loss as well.
    UJ95x and mysilly like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks, yes the phone has been rebooted numerous times with no effect.

I've taken the rather drastic step of uninstalling all apps from the phone and have installed the GSAM battery monitor. Let's see what happens. Perhaps it's not Google's fault after all, but just a crappy app -- crapp?
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by mysilly View Post
    Thanks, yes the phone has been rebooted numerous times with no effect.

I've taken the rather drastic step of uninstalling all apps from the phone and have installed the GSAM battery monitor. Let's see what happens. Perhaps it's not Google's fault after all, but just a crappy app -- crapp?
    If that doesn't work, try clearing the cache in recovery mode. Occasionally you get issues like that and wiping that partition will sort it out.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mysilly View Post
    Next time you want to test this, you don't really have to uninstall the apps - just boot into safe mode (press and hold power button till you get menu. Instead of tapping on "Power off", press and hold the "Power off" button - that will let you reboot into safe mode (where all user apps are disabled).

If you have already rebooted, then, yes, it is very likely a bad app. Also, try keeping it overnight in airplane mode for a few hours to see if that stops the battery drain due to it being kept awake. Your screenshots do show bad signal strength, and that can cause significant drain at times.
    mysilly likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've put back most of my Apps (just the ones I use regularly) and had a look at GSAM Battery Monitor and it looks fine now:

What can I do about my Nexus 5 battery life?-screenshot_2014-07-25-11-47-32.png

If I need any more apps, I will add them slowly one by one and monitor. Thanks for the help!
    jj14x and B. Diddy like this.