Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi off when sleeping. Do I need it.

I tried this setting but I have not noticed any better battery life except today I got 5% drain in only a 3 hour period which I should only be getting 1% so I rebooted the phone yet again and left it to keep WiFi on. I only get 1 to 2 bars of LTE service but I get 3 to 5 bars of WiFi upstairs in my house connected to 5 Ghz WiFi. I also have avoid poor connections checked. I wonder if it better to leave WiFi on all the time. Also I turn off Bluetooth when not using but I use my Bluetooth speakers a lot when needed.
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.0 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    Cats are the best pets.

Default Re: Wifi off when sleeping. Do I need it.

Wifi will drain less than LTE usually.. It isn't always a 100 percent rule. Was the bigger drain while on wifi? The wifi could have been doing a few things more than normal Hence the faster drain... 5 percent in 3 hours isn't to bad at all. Eventually the battery will get worn and not hold the charge as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So after doing a few Google searches and finding this on Android Central of all places I found that leaving WiFi on actually improves battery life so I am leaving it on except when my internet goes down or I am out of range of my WiFi network.
    Cats are the best pets.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    So after doing a few Google searches and finding this on Android Central of all places I found that leaving WiFi on actually improves battery life so I am leaving it on except when my internet goes down or I am out of range of my WiFi network.
    That's what I do as well .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    I tried this setting but I have not noticed any better battery life except today I got 5% drain in only a 3 hour period which I should only be getting 1% so I rebooted the phone yet again and left it to keep WiFi on. I only get 1 to 2 bars of LTE service but I get 3 to 5 bars of WiFi upstairs in my house connected to 5 Ghz WiFi. I also have avoid poor connections checked. I wonder if it better to leave WiFi on all the time. Also I turn off Bluetooth when not using but I use my Bluetooth speakers a lot when needed.
    A recent thread here claims that this actually increases battery consumption, however counter-intuitive that may seem. I haven't studied it carefully, however I do appear to be getting better battery life since I unchecked that particular box.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I just unchecked it too. Things that think you get battery life is not true.
    Cats are the best pets.