Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 3 Post By zedorda
  • 1 Post By Gekko
  • 1 Post By macroguy07
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Weather widgets that aren't battery hogs

I'm currently using EZ Weather HD and while it looks nice, it seems to be a battery hog. Can you guys recommend other apps that are visually-pleasing but run lean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Default Re: Weather widgets that aren't battery hogs

ATM I use the "stickmyheadoutthewindow" app and it works but lacks a 4-day forecast. Doesn't seem to effect my battery in the least.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

1. Fancy Widgets
    2. Arcus Weather
    zedorda likes this.

1Weather has always worked well for me. Some reviews claim it to be a battery hog but I have not found that to be the case.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Shouldn't any weather widget that allows you to choose the update interval be easy on battery? I use Transparent Weather or something like that because I like the widget's style - I have it set to update once per hour and if I open the app itself (not just the widget). Doesn't seem to have a bad effect on battery life.

I like Yahoo Weather. I used Accuweather and didn't find is Accu. I don't have a battery problem but I don't know if either is a hog or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    Shouldn't any weather widget that allows you to choose the update interval be easy on battery? I use Transparent Weather or something like that because I like the widget's style - I have it set to update once per hour and if I open the app itself (not just the widget). Doesn't seem to have a bad effect on battery life.
    That's the way 1Weather works. I have it set to update every fifteen minutes on my Moto X.

Quote Originally Posted by ptkelly View Post
    I like Yahoo Weather. I used Accuweather and didn't find is Accu. I don't have a battery problem but I don't know if either is a hog or not.
    I had Accuweather for awhile and dumped it after a week. That was some time ago and I don't remember why.

Google Genie widget

Weather & Clock Widget Android

Looks nice, not a battery hog. Various widget sizes and customizable.
    peacefulberry likes this.

I've been using Weatherbug Elite for ages, and still love it.

The best for your battery I think is Dashclock widget. It comes with a weather extension but you can install other weather extensions too. Eye in the Sky and atmosHere are great weather apps that have a persistent notification for weather. I kind of like that option as opposed to a normal widget. Neither are hard on your battery and you can choose how often you want them to sync in the background

No matter which one you pick if you can not control how often the widget updates you will not have much control over battery usage. I have been using Google Now for my weather needs because widgets use more battery no matter which one you pick.

Weather&clock widget for me too.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    No matter which one you pick if you can not control how often the widget updates you will not have much control over battery usage. I have been using Google Now for my weather needs because widgets use more battery no matter which one you pick.
    1. Fancy Widgets
    2. Arcus Weather

both of the Widgets above allow you to set the update interval. i set both to 30 minutes and have no significant adverse battery life effect.