Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Brand new Nexus 5 signal

Is there any fix for the poor signal on a BRAND NEW Nexus 5 ? Im in Toronto and my sisters S4 has 4 bars in the room next door.
    Banned

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Re: Brand new Nexus 5 signal

How many models have you tested? Also go into settings, about phone, status. You should see a signal strength measured in dBu. Compare it to your sister's phone.If there's a lot of difference There may be a problem. Are you both on the same carrier?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, we are on the same carrier, the difference is 50~ dBu
    Banned

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Huang View Post
    Yes, we are on the same carrier, the difference is 50~ dBu
    That's a pretty major difference. As for causes I can only think of a few possibilities-

- Samsung's bands are more compatible with your carrier

- your phone has a defective radio

- LG used the same craptastic radio they put in the N4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes LG put the same crap in the N5

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Huang View Post
    Is there any fix for the poor signal on a BRAND NEW Nexus 5 ? Im in Toronto and my sisters S4 has 4 bars in the room next door.
    Do you mind me asking which carrier you're with? I'm not far from you in KW with Bell and my N5 has similar if not better signal than my Z10 and my iPhone 5 in a vast range of coverage areas both indoors and out.
    Perhaps you may have a hardware issue but, chances are also good you may have a carrier signal issue. Keep in mind depending on your carrier you may be subject to congestion issues (some here in Canada are much worse than others) in which case handset type would for the most part be irrelevant. Does your N5 ever get better signal than the S4 in other areas or at different times of day? Or is the signal difference always close to the same in all situations?

Edit: removed a question the OP answered in a later post
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by 03_CTD View Post
    Do you mind me asking which carrier you're with? I'm not far from you in KW with Bell and my N5 has similar if not better signal than my Z10 and my iPhone 5 in a vast range of coverage areas both indoors and out.
    Perhaps you may have a hardware issue but, chances are also good you may have a carrier signal issue. Keep in mind depending on your carrier you may be subject to congestion issues (some here in Canada are much worse than others) in which case handset type would for the most part be irrelevant. Does your N5 ever get better signal than the S4 in other areas or at different times of day? Or is the signal difference always close to the same in all situations?

Edit: removed a question the OP answered in a later post
    using Fido