Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Brian Low
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 has been acting up and now wont work

So ive had the nexus 5 since launch and everything has been working perfectly since those 8 months. But starting about 3 days ago its been acting kind of strange. Sometimes it would randomly restart out of no where and it would continue working fine afterwards but today it literally just died. Every time i try to turn the phone on it starts up on the Google logo screen for about 3 seconds but shuts off again. And even when i dont press the power button it will continue to do that. Start up at the google logo then shut off, start up shut off rinse repeat. A couple of times i've got to the boot logo animation but it immediately shuts off right after and starts all over again. Im not rooted, no stock roms, been stock ever since i've gotten the phone. Any idea whats going on?

EDIT: As of now the power button does nothing at all. The phone wont even turn on. I tried plugging it into a usb to charge it but all it does is what i mentioned in the above post.

Default Re: Nexus 5 has been acting up and now wont work

Having exactly the same problem mate!

My post from yesterday..
    Nexus 5 issues

Mine also dies without any warning and when I try to start it up again it will go to the boot screen with the 'coloured circles' and just go off again. It will only turn back on if its on charge.

Would also love to find out whats the cause of this! Prehaps a new battery is needed?

Odd... I'll look more into it for yea..

I was having the same problem with my S3.

Posted from Google Nexus 5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

My phone wouldn't even turn on with it in the charger. It continues to boot loop. Anyways I called Google and I'm going to get a replacement. I depend on my phone for work and emergencys and I can't have the phone dying on me like it did again.

I did notice after a while my phone did turn back on. But every so often it will shut off and boot loop. I think something might be wrong with my power button. Everytime I try to close the screen the phone begins to freak out.

Posted via Android Central App

You weren't even able to boot into Recovery to try a cache wipe? [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery
    srkmagnus likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

nope. every time i try to boot into recovery it does the same thing. Ill see the screen for maybe a fraction of a second then it returns to the google logo and would continue to boot loop. i'm very annoyed. I need to send this into google tomorrow and i cant get the damned thing to work long enough for me to factory reset.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    13,066 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

That's odd. I would think this issue to be related to the battery, but not after 8-months of use. I'm not sure that Google will tell you what the problem is, but if they do, please let us know.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

another thing i should mention which was very weird. My nexus 5 had been on 4.4.4 when the problems began but for some reason on one of the random bootups that actually allowed me to get into the phone, it brought me to the upgrade screen and gave the usual "android is updating" with progress bar. As always it proceeded to optimize my apps and such and booted up normally. My phone still randomly crashed but whats the deal with that upgrade? I was already on 4.4.4 and when i went to check out the info i was still 4.4.4.

Btw i finally managed to wipe my phone and the problem persisted so definitely a hardware problem. Just don't know how the problem arose after nearly almost perfect use