So I've had my Nexus 5 since about January and hadn't really experienced any problems until..

In May I started experiencing signal problems. Constantly losing signal, draining battery, no service, etc.

I figured I would wait until the 4.4.4 update and see if that helps. So, I waited. I reset my N5 completely to factory settings and installed 4.4.4. But I still got the same problems.

I Thought maybe it was my network, so I went online and checked some forums and fiddled with my APN settings and went around for a few days like that before I changed it back. That didn't work either..

I then came across several different radios for the Nexus 5. So, I flashed a radio and went around for a couple days with the new radio to see if that would help, I did this with every single US N5 radio (I believe there was 5 or 6). And this didn't help me either.

I said whatever and I just dealt with the crappy signal for 2 months.

Then I finally went to the T-Mobile store and told them my story and showed them the screenshots that I take every now and then indicating the loss of service. "No Service - Selected network (T-Mobile) unavailable" "Cell standby 52% - Time without signal 60%" etc..
    They swapped my SIM out and told me that should do the trick.. Well it didn't.

So I went back online and started doing more in depth searching. Some people said the turn Wi-Fi optimization off (as if that would do anything), some said to set it to 3G only, others suggested a combination of the two plus fiddling with APN settings.. Well I did all of that, and still nothing.

I then flashed a custom rom thinking that might actually help for some reason.. Well it didn't.

I've finally come to the realization that it has to be the phone, it must be a hardware problem. I hope I'm wrong though and someone out there has had the same issue as me and solved it.

Any help is appreciated.

It just sucks because I really do like this phone, it's an awesome phone aside from this major inconvenience.
    08-02-2014 03:43 PM
    Is this only at home, or in various places? If it's only at home, you could ask T-Mobile to give you a signal booster.

Also, since you have T-Mobile, could it be the network, rather than the phone? I have T-Mobile and I like them, but they're not always the best when it comes to widespread coverage or adequate penetration inside some buildings. You could consider getting a prepaid SIM from AT&T and testing it out--if the signal is much better, then it's a T-Mo problem.
    Laura Knotek and John-Smith like this.
    08-02-2014 04:02 PM
    Have you tried using the device in different areas and if so is the problem just as bad? In other words, so far as you know it's not just a radio problem in your area because of network changes the carrier may have made those months ago?

Posted via Android Central App
    B. Diddy and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-02-2014 04:03 PM
    (Oops, posted same moment.)

Posted via Android Central App
    08-02-2014 04:06 PM
    I'm also not a fan of T-Mobile coverage. Try a GoPhone SIM for a month. In general the phone is a little bit worse than some but it certainly doesn't seem that bad.
    08-02-2014 10:20 PM
    Is this only at home, or in various places? If it's only at home, you could ask T-Mobile to give you a signal booster.

Also, since you have T-Mobile, could it be the network, rather than the phone? I have T-Mobile and I like them, but they're not always the best when it comes to widespread coverage or adequate penetration inside some buildings. You could consider getting a prepaid SIM from AT&T and testing it out--if the signal is much better, then it's a T-Mo problem.
    It is in various places everywhere I go, including some parts of my 1BR apartment. I think I am going to do what you said and try out straight talk for a month and see what's up.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-02-2014 10:55 PM