Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By belodion
  • 1 Post By John-Smith
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM 9.1

Default So poor signal is a pretty known issue right?

So I've had my Nexus 5 since about January and hadn't really experienced any problems until..

In May I started experiencing signal problems. Constantly losing signal, draining battery, no service, etc.

I figured I would wait until the 4.4.4 update and see if that helps. So, I waited. I reset my N5 completely to factory settings and installed 4.4.4. But I still got the same problems.

I Thought maybe it was my network, so I went online and checked some forums and fiddled with my APN settings and went around for a few days like that before I changed it back. That didn't work either..

I then came across several different radios for the Nexus 5. So, I flashed a radio and went around for a couple days with the new radio to see if that would help, I did this with every single US N5 radio (I believe there was 5 or 6). And this didn't help me either.

I said whatever and I just dealt with the crappy signal for 2 months.

Then I finally went to the T-Mobile store and told them my story and showed them the screenshots that I take every now and then indicating the loss of service. "No Service - Selected network (T-Mobile) unavailable" "Cell standby 52% - Time without signal 60%" etc..
    They swapped my SIM out and told me that should do the trick.. Well it didn't.

So I went back online and started doing more in depth searching. Some people said the turn Wi-Fi optimization off (as if that would do anything), some said to set it to 3G only, others suggested a combination of the two plus fiddling with APN settings.. Well I did all of that, and still nothing.

I then flashed a custom rom thinking that might actually help for some reason.. Well it didn't.

I've finally come to the realization that it has to be the phone, it must be a hardware problem. I hope I'm wrong though and someone out there has had the same issue as me and solved it.

Any help is appreciated.

It just sucks because I really do like this phone, it's an awesome phone aside from this major inconvenience.

Default Re: So poor signal is a pretty known issue right?

Is this only at home, or in various places? If it's only at home, you could ask T-Mobile to give you a signal booster.

Also, since you have T-Mobile, could it be the network, rather than the phone? I have T-Mobile and I like them, but they're not always the best when it comes to widespread coverage or adequate penetration inside some buildings. You could consider getting a prepaid SIM from AT&T and testing it out--if the signal is much better, then it's a T-Mo problem.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Have you tried using the device in different areas and if so is the problem just as bad? In other words, so far as you know it's not just a radio problem in your area because of network changes the carrier may have made those months ago?

Posted via Android Central App
    Laura Knotek and B. Diddy like this.

(Oops, posted same moment.)

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

I'm also not a fan of T-Mobile coverage. Try a GoPhone SIM for a month. In general the phone is a little bit worse than some but it certainly doesn't seem that bad.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    CM 9.1

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Is this only at home, or in various places? If it's only at home, you could ask T-Mobile to give you a signal booster.

Also, since you have T-Mobile, could it be the network, rather than the phone? I have T-Mobile and I like them, but they're not always the best when it comes to widespread coverage or adequate penetration inside some buildings. You could consider getting a prepaid SIM from AT&T and testing it out--if the signal is much better, then it's a T-Mo problem.
    It is in various places everywhere I go, including some parts of my 1BR apartment. I think I am going to do what you said and try out straight talk for a month and see what's up.
    B. Diddy likes this.