How Future-Proof is Nexus 5?

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I could care less if anybody agrees with me or not I just think iPhones are "buttery smooth" where android isn't there yet...
OK, it's couldn't care less. Could care less means you do care.
Project butter has been in action for over 18 months+. You need to get your eyes checked.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I knew coming in, that Android wasn't going to be as smooth as iOS, but that's something I already came to accept.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I owned a nexus 5 but sold it because of its horrible battery life and no WiFi calling and I have used an IPad Air and iPhone 5c and those are much smoother with less specs
If you are satisfied with less, and don't mind paying a premium for less, the iPhone is a great choice.

The Nexus looks pretty buttery smooth in that video.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I knew coming in, that Android wasn't going to be as smooth as iOS, but that's something I already came to accept.

Honestly don't know where people are getting that. It's not only smoother, it's faster. There is nowhere in that video where Android does not look smooth.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you are satisfied with less, and don't mind paying a premium for less, the iPhone is a great choice.

The Nexus looks pretty buttery smooth in that video.
Who says I have an iPhone just pointing out facts here.... I had a nexus 5 but sold it because the battery life was horrible and no WiFi calling. I am currently using a Samsung note 3

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Haha seriously guys? The Nexus 5 has performed exceptionally well in most aspects and even my cousins who we're extreme iPhone fans agreed that Nexus 5 is lagless.

Though the "lagless" title is still not true, I'll admit. There are scrolling lags on the Nexus 5 in certain apps and I think I know why they don't occur on iPhone.

Apps on Android generally have a much faster scrolling speed than iPhone, on Android if you scroll too fast the GPU struggles to keep buffering all that content.

Whereas on iPhone the scrolling speed is so slow that the GPU can easily render it.

If you use the same scrolling speed you use on iPhone, as in slowly scroll through your content there will be no lag.

But I found a solution, and this solution will be integrated in Android L.

Turning on the ART runtime resolved any small issues I had with performance on the Nexus 5, apps opened and resumed more quickly, scrolling was no longer a problem, battery life seemed to get a little better.

So any issues you see with performance will be fixed in the next update, or you could switch to ART right now.

If you don't agree with me on the scrolling speed thing, just open the Facebook app side by side on both Android and iPhone and scroll on both. The iPhone is painfully slow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Though the "lagless" title is still not true, I'll admit. There are scrolling lags on the Nexus 5 in certain apps and I think I know why they don't occur on iPhone.
They don't occur because the iPhone give the UI priority. The content on a webpage will stop downloading while you scroll. On the Nexus it continues to download in the background while you scroll. The stutters are caused by new content appearing above or below and pushing old content out of the way...it is exactly the same way PC browsers display content.

That being said, lots of native Android apps do the same thing iOS does...I have never seen lag on Google Keep for example.

If you don't agree with me on the scrolling speed thing, just open the Facebook app side by side on both Android and iPhone and scroll on both. The iPhone is painfully slow.
Yep...it will only display stuff it has already downloaded, and scrolling is the same thing as a pause button.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
sorry for the long winded post here.... but I have a lot to say :)

I wanted to expand upon my earlier post. Keep in mind that 'future proof' isn't quite the same as it was a couple of years ago..... I'd say that the tipping point was around the Galaxy S3 generation. Before then, most Android phones coming out had some sort of deficiency.... RAM, display, processing power... and Android versions prior to ICS were still kind of a work in progress. Android really started to mature when 4.0.4 was released (along with the S3), then we started getting full featured phones that didn't have "yeah, buts" of generations past.

Mobile apps are simpler than their desktop brethren... you're working on a (relative to full on computers) small display with limited input capability and, in its current form factor, we aren't really going to see as huge perceptible performance gains with new generations of processors.... Yes, those crazy, 3D graphic heavy apps like Asphalt would benefit, but the most of the time, these phones are running less resource intensive apps that already load quick and run well. We're already at that point now with the SD 800+ phones. Yes, the next gen 64bit SOCs will be faster, push better high end graphics, etc.... but if you are on Twitter, or playing Bubble Witch or something that runs well on the devices now, it's not really going to make any noticeable difference. That isn't to say that they should just up and stop making advancements, it's just that we won't see the hectic jumps forward that we saw in previous years.

The Nexus 5's specs; Snapdragon 800 SOC, 2G Ram, 1080 display.... we're almost a year out and the phone's performance, real-world performance and not just numbers on benchmarks, still puts it on par with any of the newest phones. So hardware-wise, the Nexus 5 should age well. I mean, there are plenty of people still happily using their Nexus 4's, which itself may get brought to Android 5.0(?) by the dev commuity, NOT Google.

The second part is software. That's the trickier portion of this equation. A phone could have the most advanced hardware going, but if the software is kept back (by carrier or OEM), then it becomes a moot point. Luckily, the Nexus 5 has two important things going for it.... First, it is going to get Android 5.0 or whatever they'll tag it, and you'll get it right away... and you'll get quick updates as long as Google supports the 5 (at minimum until the end of next year I'm guessing).

What about post-support? Well, you have two choices if you want to keep it... hold it back on a last-gen OS.... or go custom. Now, to a lot of people, loading a custom ROM might seem like voodoo.... but by the time the Nexus 5 is no longer supported by Google, you will most likely be out of warranty and have little holding you back from loading a custom build. The Nexus 5 isn't locked in any way, and loading a custom ROM is a simple and fairly safe operation. Go watch a video on how to unlock and load a custom ROM, it's easier than most people think. It's hard to really brick a Nexus 5, trust me on that. The Nexus 5 has a very active dev community and wide support, so after Google sets it free, you'll see up to date ROMs for pretty much as long as the Android supports 32bit phones.

OK... done know.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
They don't occur because the iPhone give the UI priority. The content on a webpage will stop downloading while you scroll. On the Nexus it continues to download in the background while you scroll. The stutters are caused by new content appearing above or below and pushing old content out of the way...it is exactly the same way PC browsers display content.

That being said, lots of native Android apps do the same thing iOS does...I have never seen lag on Google Keep for example.

Yep...it will only display stuff it has already downloaded, and scrolling is the same thing as a pause button.
Yeah, I agree with you as well.

I find that Windows Phone has the worst approach to scrolling, if you scroll too fast and the GPU is unable to keep up the content just dissapears completely.

Here's a video on it: http://youtu.be/n9pdzH0UpXY

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
sorry for the long winded post here.... but I have a lot to say :)

I wanted to expand upon my earlier post. Keep in mind that 'future proof' isn't quite the same as it was a couple of years ago..... I'd say that the tipping point was around the Galaxy S3 generation. Before then, most Android phones coming out had some sort of deficiency.... RAM, display, processing power... and Android versions prior to ICS were still kind of a work in progress. Android really started to mature when 4.0.4 was released (along with the S3), then we started getting full featured phones that didn't have "yeah, buts" of generations past.

Mobile apps are simpler than their desktop brethren... you're working on a (relative to full on computers) small display with limited input capability and, in its current form factor, we aren't really going to see as huge perceptible performance gains with new generations of processors.... Yes, those crazy, 3D graphic heavy apps like Asphalt would benefit, but the most of the time, these phones are running less resource intensive apps that already load quick and run well. We're already at that point now with the SD 800+ phones. Yes, the next gen 64bit SOCs will be faster, push better high end graphics, etc.... but if you are on Twitter, or playing Bubble Witch or something that runs well on the devices now, it's not really going to make any noticeable difference. That isn't to say that they should just up and stop making advancements, it's just that we won't see the hectic jumps forward that we saw in previous years.

The Nexus 5's specs; Snapdragon 800 SOC, 2G Ram, 1080 display.... we're almost a year out and the phone's performance, real-world performance and not just numbers on benchmarks, still puts it on par with any of the newest phones. So hardware-wise, the Nexus 5 should age well. I mean, there are plenty of people still happily using their Nexus 4's, which itself may get brought to Android 5.0(?) by the dev commuity, NOT Google.

The second part is software. That's the trickier portion of this equation. A phone could have the most advanced hardware going, but if the software is kept back (by carrier or OEM), then it becomes a moot point. Luckily, the Nexus 5 has two important things going for it.... First, it is going to get Android 5.0 or whatever they'll tag it, and you'll get it right away... and you'll get quick updates as long as Google supports the 5 (at minimum until the end of next year I'm guessing).

What about post-support? Well, you have two choices if you want to keep it... hold it back on a last-gen OS.... or go custom. Now, to a lot of people, loading a custom ROM might seem like voodoo.... but by the time the Nexus 5 is no longer supported by Google, you will most likely be out of warranty and have little holding you back from loading a custom build. The Nexus 5 isn't locked in any way, and loading a custom ROM is a simple and fairly safe operation. Go watch a video on how to unlock and load a custom ROM, it's easier than most people think. It's hard to really brick a Nexus 5, trust me on that. The Nexus 5 has a very active dev community and wide support, so after Google sets it free, you'll see up to date ROMs for pretty much as long as the Android supports 32bit phones.

OK... done know.
The aftermarket support(Custom ROMs) could extend the life of your phone by years. I used to have an HTC Explorer(Pico) and it was a budget device that never got updated after Android 2.3

I had the device for a pretty long time, nearly 2 years and around that time it got very significant developer support and despite being a single core 600 MHz device it now runs stable Android 4.4 Kitkat.

I rooted my Nexus 5 the day I got it and installed Cyanogenmod, it added very fast shutter speed, like lightning fast.

However I hated losing HDR and face detection so I went back to Stock and reset tamper flag and locked bootloader.

I'll root it again the day this phone stops getting official updates. But the aftermarket support on Android, especially for Nexus is amazing.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, thats what I was saying before as well. RAM, CPU, and even Display specs are pretty saturated right now. Even low end phones have more than enough hardware in these areas to run the OS smoothly. There is no longer a need for improvement in those areas. The only areas phones need improving still are Camera and battery life. (and, IMO, storage...still lots of phones without SD).

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The battery is going to be the limiting factor not the CPU. The N5 has passed the good enough threshold beyond which any improvements are mostly inconsequential. Desktops reached that point about 10 years ago, a Haswell iCore7 isn't noticably faster than a iCore2 was. The Snapdragon 800 is the mobile equivalent of the iCore2, fast enough for most everything you'll ever need to do. For phones this is even more true because everything interesting happens in the cloud, not on the phone itself. Google puts most of it's effort into improving their services. The only thing significant that they've done on Android itself over the last few years is to improve the effeciency. There are no significant UI changes between ICS and Android L, it's mostly been the equivalent of changing the drapes in a room. However underneath they've made things run much faster which extends the life of hardware. The functionality that's improved dramatically is things like Google Now, which runs on the cloud not locally. When it was introduced in ICS it was only useful for amusing your friends at parties, it not only mistranslated almost everything but it usually produced a hilarious result. Today it mostly works as long as it's connected to the Internet because it does all of the heavy lifting on Google's servers.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The only areas phones need improving still are Camera and battery life. (and, IMO, storage...still lots of phones without SD).

Yep... and the writing on the wall points to those areas where Google is targeting. There's been a lot of talk about Project Volta, and how Google is working to improve power usage on the software side of things... which is probably our only hope, short term, since power storage technology has been advancing painfully slow. All but one flagship have quite capable shooters....

As for the SD.... I've read a few things that seem to hint that Google is going to address the issue. Due to file system limitations (FAT32 no like-y unix file/folder permissions), they choose to treat the secondary external storage (SD) like an extension of the /data partition, where application data is put into locked down containers (and gets blasted. I'm guessing that they are developing a mechanism that will allow that SD card to be secured similar to the primary internal storage. I think KitKat's implementation was one of those things where they had to make it secure and that was the only feasible way of doing it in the time frame provided.... they didn't have the time to allow for shared folders or more open permissions.

But that's my educated guess.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 5 isn't "buttery slick" though....

I am the biggest Nexus hater there is around here but I have to disagree in this area. It is very slick and the interface is rather smooth. Of course it is barebones to start (which in of itself is a negative) but even with my normal apps loaded in it didn't slow it down at all. The Nexus family of phones have a ton of negatives about them, but this is not one.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am the biggest Nexus hater there is around here but I have to disagree in this area. It is very slick and the interface is rather smooth. Of course it is barebones to start (which in of itself is a negative) but even with my normal apps loaded in it didn't slow it down at all. The Nexus family of phones have a ton of negatives about them, but this is not one.
It is smooth but not "buttery smooth" like ios is

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You're claiming that the iPhone is smoother than the Nexus 5, but in what way?
But that is neither here nor there... the vast majority of those who've used and reviewed the phone all say, almost to the man, that the Nexus 5 is not only the most fluid and 'settled' Android experience, the iPhone has nothing on it when it comes to performance, speed, etc..... It isn't completely devoid of lag or jitter (neither is the iPhone either), but you aren't going to find anything that is.

Why bother arguing any more about it just because someone goes "nuh-uh!"?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital