Just sold a Nexus 5 on ebay and now buyer is having issues sending texts. Please help me.

anon(1993947)

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello there

I just sold a Nexus 5 on ebay. The buyer claims that he is having problems sending and receiving messages. The phone has a clean ESN with Sprint (I left Spring to join Verizon). I had the Nexus 5 for about 7 months with a Spigen case. It was in very good condition.

I initially got the phone at a Sprint store and they set up everything for me. The buyer is also trying to use it on Sprint. I need help to describe to him what he needs to do to send messages and or activate it. Since the back of the phone doesn't come off....would my old sim card work or does he have to somehow get a new sim card and have someone at the store take it off? He claims to have spoken to sprint for an hour and no one could help him....

He has opened up a dispute case against me and this is a big problem for him.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If the buyer came from iOS they would need to disable iMessage on the iPhone in order for texting to work.

If they no longer have the iPhone they will need to contact Apple and have them remove the number from their system.

anon(1993947)

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
If the buyer came from iOS they would need to disable iMessage on the iPhone in order for texting to work.

If they no longer have the iPhone they will need to contact Apple and have them remove the number from their system.

Aha!! had no idea about this....I will have to see if he came from iOS.

Thank you!

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
He doesn't need to call Apple. Either turn iMessage off (and probably Facetime also) from his old iPhone, or go to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ and deregister the old iPhone there.

PS: If this is the problem then he won't have any problem sending texts. The problem will be that he may not receive texts from iOS users.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
4 parts -

1. make sure that you have turned off iMessage on your old iPhone.
2. delete your old phone number and delete/unregister all old iPhone(s) from your Apple ID web profile at supportprofile.apple.c0m.
3. make sure iPhone-using friends App Settings are set correctly. By default, sending as SMS is not selected in IOS 7. To enable this go into settings>messages>send as SMS. This will send messages as regular SMS messages when imessage isn't available.
4. spread the word.

Issues with texts after moving to Android from iPhone? Here's an easy fix! | Android Central

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
@Gekko, no need to spread mis-information. Only step 1 is required unless you don't have the iPhone anymore then do step 2. iOS only sends an iMessage when the recipient is registered. That setting you refer to is to force iOS to send an SMS and never use iMessage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech