Starting to dislike my N5 now, can anyone help with these issues?

mmace

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone help with my problems?

1) battery life is now awful. After it doing so well for the first 8 months, it's suddenly terrible. Google+ took up a massive percentage (I use it for auto photo backup and locations to see where family and friends are), however I've uninstalled it, now the biggest offenders apart from the screen is Google Search (this has been bad since I got Google Wear) and Google Play Services (this has been bad for a couple of months.
How bad is it? With regular use, my phone lasts around 7 hours, if I use my camera or play games then it's obviously a lot less

2 & 3 are regarding Maps
2) Compass - if I turn on google maps in the car (not navigation) then it thinks I'm facing a completely different direction, been like this since purchase, my N4 was the same, Geocach app and other compass apps are fine, but Google maps, which I use a LOT is way off

3) Sat Nav/GPS - since the 4.4 update it takes around 10 minutes of a journey to "settle" which isn't good when I don't know where i am. It locks on to me fine, but then while driving it thinks I'm going a different way (compass?), thinks I've just jumped half a mile away to another road, if I stop at a junction and then move off it stays at the junction and can take up to 2 minutes to catch up. Other apps like runkeeper are fine and track me without a problem.

4) hardware problem, the headphone socket is now playing up, music sounds like the centre channel has been extracted (like a karaoke mode) and audio feedback from my running app is non-existent, using inbuilt speaker or bluetooth headphones are fine, tried a few sets of earphones, all the same, probably nothing that can be done, but it's something adding to the annoyance. Currently training for a marathon so need audio feedback and music, bluetooth headsets don't last long enough on one charge.

N5, 4.4.4, rooted (but I had the same problems unrooted), phone has been factory reset etc, but same issue

Last edited:

Bilal ArQob

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Starting to hate my N5 now, can anyone help with these issues?

7 hours !!!! My battery stand for just 4.30 hours!

Posted via Android Central App

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Can anyone help with my problems?

Lemme try

1) battery life is now awful. After it doing so well for the first 8 months, it's suddenly terrible. Google+ took up a massive percentage (I use it for auto photo backup and locations to see where family and friends are), however I've uninstalled it, now the biggest offenders apart from the screen is Google Search (this has been bad since I got Google Wear) and Google Play Services (this has been bad for a couple of months.
How bad is it? With regular use, my phone lasts around 7 hours, if I use my camera or play games then it's obviously a lot less
Ok, so from what I read from this and later on in your post, you are heavily using location based services. GPS and even more so the apps using it are using up a lot of batterypower. If you have (as you state later) a permanent wireless connection to other devices (wearables count as such), you have another source of batterdepletion...
Can you post a screenshot?

2 & 3 are regarding Maps
2) Compass - if I turn on google maps in the car (not navigation) then it thinks I'm facing a completely different direction, been like this since purchase, my N4 was the same, Geocach app and other compass apps are fine, but Google maps, which I use a LOT is way off

I think I remember a way to calibrate the GPS. Something about laying the device on its face on a perfectly horizontal area. I am not sure though if this was for the N5 oder another device and what else you have to do. Probably just check google for it.

3) Sat Nav/GPS - since the 4.4 update it takes around 10 minutes of a journey to "settle" which isn't good when I don't know where i am. It locks on to me fine, but then while driving it thinks I'm going a different way (compass?), thinks I've just jumped half a mile away to another road, if I stop at a junction and then move off it stays at the junction and can take up to 2 minutes to catch up. Other apps like runkeeper are fine and track me without a problem.
Weird... either your GPS is broken or something destroys your reception (strong electronic fields, a bad casing, ehatever...). If Maps feels sluggisch in the position update on the screen, I could be due to the processor being heavily occupied by some other app.
Could it be, that you got malware on your Smartphone? What security app do you use?

4) hardware problem, the headphone socket is now playing up, music sounds like the centre channel has been extracted (like a karaoke mode) and audio feedback from my running app is non-existent, using inbuilt speaker or bluetooth headphones are fine, tried a few sets of earphones, all the same, probably nothing that can be done, but it's something adding to the annoyance. Currently training for a marathon so need audio feedback and music, bluetooth headsets don't last long enough on one charge.

Is that behaviour the same even with different headsets? Have you tried different players?

N5, 4.4.4, rooted (but I had the same problems unrooted), phone has been factory reset etc, but same issue

If everything else fails, there is always the possibility to reset to factory settings and see if the phone is still bad.

Sorry for your problems, maybe I had a few hints or leads to follow for you.

mmace

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site

Ok, so from what I read from this and later on in your post, you are heavily using location based services. GPS and even more so the apps using it are using up a lot of batterypower. If you have (as you state later) a permanent wireless connection to other devices (wearables count as such), you have another source of batterdepletion...
Can you post a screenshot?
Before this current battery drain issue, I had a Pebble always connected, plus I've always used the same location software (G+, hemisphere etc) battery was still around double what it is now, before I got my G Watch I was still having the battery issue, the "Google Search" being high up on the list is a new thing but not the main problem

I think I remember a way to calibrate the GPS. Something about laying the device on its face on a perfectly horizontal area. I am not sure though if this was for the N5 oder another device and what else you have to do. Probably just check google for it.
tried calibrating, still useless in G Maps, fine in other apps, I'm sure I remember looking into it when I had the N4 and it was a known issue but it's still there on the N5

Weird... either your GPS is broken or something destroys your reception (strong electronic fields, a bad casing, ehatever...). If Maps feels sluggisch in the position update on the screen, I could be due to the processor being heavily occupied by some other app.
Could it be, that you got malware on your Smartphone? What security app do you use?
I don't use security apps, even after a full wipe it's the same, not changed anything, only started like this since around the 4.4 update (there was a Maps update around the same day), nothing changed in the car so any interference will have been there before.

Is that behaviour the same even with different headsets?
any wired headphones has the same effect, sounds like it's been run through a centre channel removal filter, I get just the background/harmonies and the music, everything is fine through bluetooth audio and the onboard speaker.

If everything else fails, there is always the possibility to reset to factory settings and see if the phone is still bad.
multiple factory resets have been done, thanks for taking the time to reply.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I had GPS issues as well on my Nexus 5. I would try to use navigation and it would work to a degree. It would eventually put me on the other side of the road or some place different all together. I ended up contacting Google and they gave me a replacement. GPS works great now and I do not have any issues at all.

You might want to contact them and see if you can get a replacement.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with #2.

Keeps telling me I'm facing north when heading east. Its 90 off in every directions

Posted from Google Nexus 5

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I can't help with your issues, but I want to chime in to say that the GPS strength is indeed terrible on the Nexus 5. It takes a long time for the phone to lock in on my location, as well.

Along with my own inconsistent battery issues, the poor GPS & cell reception strength, and the weak speakers, I'm looking to change my device this year.

I also get this weird bug where the phone will hang up on its on during a phone call every now and then. I have full bars and I'm making phone calls in locations that I don't ever have signal issues in.

The Nexus 5 is buggy.

mmace

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to contact Google UK by email about this? The Nexus support email goes to the US and they won't help. I've fallen out with UK support recently, they sent me 2 Glass instead of one and have had them back in their possession for over 5 weeks but refuse to acknowledge this and haven't issued any refunds yet (£2000!).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon