Nexus 5 & Android 4.4.4...worth to try again?

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hiya.

I'm trying to replace my Galaxy S4 LTE with another phone with stock Android but with better overall performance. My next choice is the Nexus 5. Had one late last year but because of an "immature" OS i sold it. Now, with Android 4.4.4 i'd like to try it again. But, heard of issues after the release of 4.4.4 like:

1. Battery life now worse (and unpredictable) than before
2. Wifi & network disconnections issue
3. Slow auto-focus when taking shot
4. Weak/tinny speakers sound (which might be down to hardware problems which i don't know)
5. Screen multitouch issues

Is this all true or only for a minority? And do we even know if Google is actually listening or is aware of some if not all of these reported problems?

Please advice. Thanks.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
KitKat in my not so humble opinion blows chunks. More troublesome version than JB. Don't base your next purchase on KitKat.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've actually had no problems with 4.4.4. Battery life has been fine. I don't experience any wifi connectivity issues; occasional brief mobile data connectivity issues might be related more to T-Mobile than the phone. The camera is excellent, auto-focuses quickly. The speaker is weak to begin with, but I didn't notice any significant change--and my Galaga ringtone still blasts fairly loudly from it. No multitouch issues either. I don't know, maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't seen an avalanche of posts about 4.4.4 problems on the N5.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
The nexus 5 is my first experience with a pure android phone, came from an HTC rezound and an HTC droid eris before that. I have to say that I did like HTC sense, but I absolutely love the pure android of the nexus 5. I've had it since February and have not experienced any problems with it or with kit Kat. I'm sold on nexus now, will never go back to a different ui..

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had no issues with stock 4.4.4. If you liked the device before (aside from the problems you had with KitKat) then you'll like it now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for welcoming me. Such a nice feeling. :)

From my own research comparing the Nexus 5 and the Galaxy S4 (using GSMArena & Versus) apart from the actual megapixels of the camera the N5 seems to come out on top of every little specs. But, i can't help but be bothered about the battery life. All of the (very well known) websites i have checked the S4 seems to come out on top.

I have heard stories of battery life became worse post-4.4.4 update. I know its quite difficult to discuss and measure battery life because its very subjective. But what i can say is i work 8 hours a day so most of the time i'm out at work in a moderate to very good mobile phone signal that does't require wifi (which i think drains one's battery albeit slowly). The only notifications i have is that of Gmail, Twitter, Instagram, SMS messaging & Whatsapp. That's it. I make sure no tasks or apps are running in the background, Sync is off, Location Services is off (unless i need it due to the nature of my work and apps i'm using and even if its turned on at a long period of time it is set to Battery Saving option) and turning off the usual slew off radios like wifi, bluetooth, NFC, etc. Anything i missed here?

So, i would like to know once & for all: is Kitkat a user-friendly, lightweight, smooth OS that doesn't drain the battery off the Nexus 5 as far as you guys are concerned? And would a battery-saving app help or hinder the battery life?

Please help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's more or less how I operate my N5. I work at a hospital, which doesn't have the greatest reception. With light-moderate use, I get through a whole day with about 40-50% battery to spare at the end of the day. Total screen-on time is around 3 hours. I don't need a battery saver app--those things can cause problems than they solve sometimes.

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
B Diddy...would you say you listen to a lot of MP3 music or say read the latest tech or world news on your mobile when your out & about? And still get around 40-50% by say 11pm?

And how's the speakers of your N5? Are they loud enough to hear when someone is ringing you when your on the roads or on a bus or train?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 5 running bone stock, unrooted 4.4.4 is extremely smooth. Good battery life, no significant wifi issues, strong Bluetooth connectivity and is remarkably crash-free.

Compared to previous Samsung phones, I think I will never use anything but a Nexus again.

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hiya.

1. Battery life now worse (and unpredictable) than before
2. Wifi & network disconnections issue
3. Slow auto-focus when taking shot
4. Weak/tinny speakers sound (which might be down to hardware problems which i don't know)
5. Screen multitouch issues

Battery life is subjective. My Nexus 5 easily gets me through my day. So does that mean the battery is good?

I've never had wifi issues. Mobile on the other hand sometimes drops from Lte to H+, but never completely disconnects. I'm on Bell (Canada)

Camera seems to work fine.

Yeah speakers are not the best. Good thing for Bluetooth audio stream in the car.

Never had screen issues. Seems responsive, even in games.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B Diddy...would you say you listen to a lot of MP3 music or say read the latest tech or world news on your mobile when your out & about? And still get around 40-50% by say 11pm?

And how's the speakers of your N5? Are they loud enough to hear when someone is ringing you when your on the roads or on a bus or train?

I don't stream a ton of music. I do spend a decent amount of time using the Android Central app and Google+ for news and forum participation. I've also used my phone as a wi-fi tether for a few hours at a time--I think it drops about 15-20% after about 2-3 hrs of tethering, which I think is pretty good.

The ability to hear a ringtone depends in part on how loud the ringtone is. Some ringtones are pretty quiet. I have a wav file of an old arcade game sound that is pretty loud, so it works very well as a ringtone.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3 before, but the Nexus 5 is batter in stability, batterylife and performance. I love it.
I heared of people who have (had?) battery problems, but mine is fine so far. I get easily over a day.

Hope this helps.

oh, and ps: Android L is just around the corner.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I think my Nexus 5 might be a bit strange, but I found battery life improved with the upgrade to Kit Kat 4.4.4. I never dreamed of more than a day between charges on 4.4.3; now I go two days. Sometimes three. While I may not use the phone as much as some, my usage hasn't changed since I got it.

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys!!!

For anyone who have experienced it Is it true that the Nexus 5 speakers are actually better (slightly louder) than the Galaxy S4?

Talking about the multitasking tab (on the three capacitive buttons) with the Sony and Samsung Android handsets they have the option to "cancel all" tabs/windows that are running in the background. With the Nexus 5 you have to swipe them one by one. Is there an app to add that same functionality as Sony or Samsung to cancel all tabs & windows?

Any good 3rd-party music player that support Flac, customisable EQ settings, very good EQ presets, etc.? I'm looking for a music player that enables me to Pause, Forward & Back functions when i'm on my lock screen.

Please advice.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I listen to audio books all day long (on a headset) and have about 40% battery left when I go to bed. As far as the speakers are concerned, if you're buying any phone based on its sound quality for playing music, you're making a mistake. They are all (referring to all cell phones) tiny little speakers intended for speaker phone and notifications...it's not a boom box. One phone may sound a little better than another, but they all sound like crap if you're using them as a stereo. With a headset, they all sound as good as your headset is. As far as hearing it ring on the street, I always hear mine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, for the past hour, I've been tethering my Chromebook to my N5 (working on the forums) while also constantly streaming from Google Play Music. The phone's screen has been off, since I'm on my Chromebook. The phone's battery has dropped 10%, which I think is pretty good.

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
For anyone who have experienced it Is it true that the Nexus 5 speakers are actually better (slightly louder) than the Galaxy S4?

Talking about the multitasking tab (on the three capacitive buttons) with the Sony and Samsung Android handsets they have the option to "cancel all" tabs/windows that are running in the background. With the Nexus 5 you have to swipe them one by one. Is there an app to add that same functionality as Sony or Samsung to cancel all tabs & windows?

Any good 3rd-party music player that support Flac, customisable EQ settings, etc.? I'm looking for a music player that enables me to Pause, Forward & Back functions when i'm on my lock screen.

Going back to the speakers is it safe to use a sharp object like a needle to "poke" thru the speakers grills as i heard that the cause of poor/muffled sound might be because of the glue that went over the process of installing the speakers, etc.

Please advice.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Having used a S4 before switching over to N5, I think the S4 had slightly better (louder) speakers (and vibration motor)

I don't know if there is an app that will permit that, but if you plan to root, consider installing the gravity box module with the XPosed framework. It will add this capability along with numerous other useful features.

Going back to the speakers is it safe to use a sharp object like a needle to "poke" thru the speakers grills as i heard that the cause of poor/muffled sound might be because of the glue that went over the process of installing the speakers, etc.
Some people have reported success with that, but I don't think it is safe to assume that the same problem occurred with every single device. Personally, I would not be comfortable with poking a needle thru' the speaker grill into areas that I can't see (and possibly risk shorting something out, or damaging something). If you are comfortable opening the phone up, you can certainly try that - may be safer than poking the needle in blindly.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
B Diddy...would you say you listen to a lot of MP3 music or say read the latest tech or world news on your mobile when your out & about? And still get around 40-50% by say 11pm??
I use my Nexus at the gym for music...it drains almost NOTHING running MP3s and bluetooth (I use bluetooth earbuds). It is actually kinda weird, because it feels like it should be more. But I lose about 3-5% per hour. At that rate, I could run MP3s for well over 24 hours straight.

It seems weird because bluetooth should be making it drain fast by itself. The display is off most of the time, but music runs continuously, and I am also checking emails/text/whatever between sets, and sometimes web browsing.

Battery drain for me comes mostly from the display, or running Wifi Tether. Thats when I notice the most drain.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
It seems weird because bluetooth should be making it drain fast by itself. The display is off most of the time, but music runs continuously, and I am also checking emails/text/whatever between sets, and sometimes web browsing.
I've no data to back up my speculation so this is observational, but I think connecting music via Bluetooth might use less battery than powering earphones to listen. Either way, music players don't seem to be a big power hog compared to some things. I use Rocket Player but I can't see why others would be much different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20