Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hugh_Myron
  • 1 Post By Aglet
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Talking Just switched from iPhone to Nexus 5. Love it! Do you recommend any launchers?

Hello Android Central,

I just switched over to the Nexus 5 and I love it so far. I had a bit of an issue with Gmail not pushing, but reading posts on this forum helped me resolve that issue.

I am very interested in customizing using a different launcher? Do you recommend any in particular? Does using a launcher cause the phone to act differently (apps not working, slow, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

-Hugh

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Just switched from iPhone to Nexus 5. Love it! Do you recommend any launchers?

Welcome to AC!
    Congrats on the new phone
    My personal favorite is Nova Launcher. The phone will not run any slower than normal. You can actually change the animation speeds so that it feels faster.
    The icon pack I'm currently using is Moonshine: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en It's $1 though.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Just switched from iPhone to Nexus 5. Love it! Do you recommend any launchers?

Nova +1, and plenty of paid and free icons.
    I recommend you to have a look at Zooper widgets. Read a tutorial and have a lot of fun.

Moto G from ACF
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to AC!
    Congrats on the new phone
    My personal favorite is Nova Launcher. The phone will not run any slower than normal. You can actually change the animation speeds so that it feels faster.
    The icon pack I'm currently using is Moonshine [can't post link yet] It's $1 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier P View Post
    Nova +1, and plenty of paid and free icons.
    I recommend you to have a look at Zooper widgets. Read a tutorial and have a lot of fun.

Moto G from ACF
    Thank you both!
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 (N1), Stock (HOX)

Action Launcher is my go to launcher. Its really quick and has some very unique features like shades and covers. They help to keep your home screen very minimal while hiding functionality behind the icon with a simple swipe. Plus, all the apps are just a quick swipe away. I think there is a trial or free version now. I dropped the money on the full shebang and although I try other home screen replacements and there are a nice amount of good ones (Aviate is good too), but I just keep coming back to Action Launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Nexus 7 (stock)
    HTC One XL (CM10)
    Nexus One

I thought the stock launcher is pretty good on a Nexus 5 but I eventually loaded Nova Prime launcher.

The deal-breakers for me were not having the option to hide the persistent search bar (the thing with the microphone icon at the top of every screen) which I seldom use, and is accessible by a simple swipe up from the bottom of the screen anyway. Also, not having unread counts on icons. Nova Prime fixed both of these issues for me. I haven't had any problems with Nova at all and it uses little battery.

Coming from iOS you might find the level of customisation available on Android drives you a little crazy! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Aglet View Post
    I thought the stock launcher is pretty good on a Nexus 5 but I eventually loaded Nova Prime launcher.

The deal-breakers for me were not having the option to hide the persistent search bar (the thing with the microphone icon at the top of every screen) which I seldom use, and is accessible by a simple swipe up from the bottom of the screen anyway. Also, not having unread counts on icons. Nova Prime fixed both of these issues for me. I haven't had any problems with Nova at all and it uses little battery.

Coming from iOS you might find the level of customisation available on Android drives you a little crazy! Have fun!
    Um[ATTACH]null[/ATTACH]

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just switched from iPhone to Nexus 5. Love it! Do you recommend any launchers?-4907.jpg  
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Thanks ffejjj, yeah I should have done a screencap and posted it to better explain myself to an Android noob! That's the one.
    ffejjj likes this.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts

Nova

Oh and I use Adw launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...freak.launcher

Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

I personally like Nova. I downloaded a few when I got my Android phone and it is the most fluid and looks the best to me. My friend uses Apex and likes it. My suggestion is to try a few of the free ones and decide what you like. Have fun. Customizing Android is the best part of using it!

Nova prime

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

Another vote for Apex, just cuz it's my daily driver.

And just got these Velur icons and like them so much I can't stop looking at my app drawer!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...us.velur&hl=en

Atom Launcher is what I'm currently using. Nova is great and all, but you have to pay for Nova Prime if you want to have gestures and be able to hide apps in the app drawer. Atom does that for free. It also has a great Atom Bar feature at the top. It also has some great themes available, both free and paid.

I heard good things about that!

Did you guys actually see a battery life drop when using launchers?

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clem_SuperHippo View Post
    I've never had an issue or seen a noticeable decline

Quote Originally Posted by Clem_SuperHippo View Post
    No, I haven't seen a difference in battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcanv View Post
    I heard good things about that!
    You should try it out if you're interested!