Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By emilioaponte
  • 1 Post By grenefroggie
  • 1 Post By emilioaponte
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  • 1 Post By geezerplayer
  • 1 Post By Shilohcane
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best SMS/MMS app? Needs group text and MMS capability.

Hello all,

I've been looking for an alternative to Hangouts and the default text app.

After browsing these forums I've tried 'hello' (no MMS capabilities) and 'Handscent' (trouble with group texts).

Any other suggestions? As title says, I basically need MMS incorporated into group texts. A cool layout would be nice, but secondary to the first two necessities.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via the Android Central App

Default Re: Best SMS/MMS app? Needs group text and MMS capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Myron View Post
    Hello all,

I've been looking for an alternative to Hangouts and the default text app.

After browsing these forums I've tried 'hello' (no MMS capabilities) and 'Handscent' (trouble with group texts).

Any other suggestions? As title says, I basically need MMS incorporated into group texts. A cool layout would be nice, but secondary to the first two necessities.

Thanks in advance!

Evolve SMS, check out the screenshot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Hugh_Myron likes this.

I have a small list to get you started:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.p1.chompsmsChompSMS

Chomp SMS is similar looking to the stock AOSP messaging app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.textraTextra SMS

Same developer as ChompSMS. Honestly not sure the difference between the two anymore.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.jb.gosmsGO SMS Pro

GO SMS Pro is feature rich. I used to like it, but like Handcent SMS, the features can be a bit overwhelming.
    Thanked by:
    Hugh_Myron likes this.

Two more, GO SMS and TEXTRA SMS. Check out the screenshots.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Hugh_Myron likes this.

I've tried a couple and settled on EvolveSMS - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.evolve_sms
    Thanked by:
    Hugh_Myron likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks to all! A few votes for 'Evolve'. For those that have used it, do you have issues with sending MMS in Evolve to either a single person or in a group? I have read that people are having issues with those which is why I did not try it yet.

Try YOUMAIL

Hugh_Myron likes this.

I like Textra. Note since I am on T-Mobile, Textra even had a temporary MMS fix for t-mobile that is doing something with VLTE than forces Textra to disable Wi-Fi to get MMS pictures. After I flipped on Textra MMS fix for t-mobile everything works great.
    Thanked by:
    Hugh_Myron likes this.

ROM
    Stock for now

I can't say enough good things about Textra. It just flat out works. The group messaging feature is perfect (and I've used it quite a bit). It's not a customizable as either Chomp or some of the other options out there, but that wasn't important to me. It's very "light" and they have added a couple nice features here and there. One thing I'm an absolute HUGE fan of is the fact I have it set to download and save any picture that comes through. My wife sends me pictures of our daughter pretty frequently and it's great to have them all saved in my Gallery (and subsequently backed up through Google).

I've used some of the others mentioned and they are all pretty good. I found GoSMS to just have wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many options for me to play around with (not a bad thing if that's your preference).
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I like Textra. Note since I am on T-Mobile, Textra even had a temporary MMS fix for t-mobile that is doing something with VLTE than forces Textra to disable Wi-Fi to get MMS pictures. After I flipped on Textra MMS fix for t-mobile everything works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar1995 View Post
    I can't say enough good things about Textra. It just flat out works. The group messaging feature is perfect (and I've used it quite a bit). It's not a customizable as either Chomp or some of the other options out there, but that wasn't important to me. It's very "light" and they have added a couple nice features here and there. One thing I'm an absolute HUGE fan of is the fact I have it set to download and save any picture that comes through. My wife sends me pictures of our daughter pretty frequently and it's great to have them all saved in my Gallery (and subsequently backed up through Google).

I've used some of the others mentioned and they are all pretty good. I found GoSMS to just have wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many options for me to play around with (not a bad thing if that's your preference).
    Tried a few and so far have stuck with Textra, It has everything I need and so far I have not seen any of the reported issues *knocks on wood*.

Thanks to all!

I have gone through several and end up coming back to Evolve. Like how it works, how you can customize it, and Developer's support.