Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ab2c4
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How is the Nexus 5 holding up, reliable hardware wise?

A little background info. I have been using Android phones and tablets for a few years now. I always had a company provided work cell phone (currently have the LG G3 and love it), but for the last few months my wife has been telling me I should finally have a phone of my own for several reasons. At work we use Verizon so I could never consider a Nexus 5. I have the Nexus 7 2013 and love stock Android. This weekend my wife and I decided to change her personal AT&T plan and to add a second phone for me. I already have the G3, I am currently annoyed by Samsung phones after having the S3 and Note 2 due to TouchWiz. I like the HTC One M8 but I just couldn't see spending $680 on one (I am buying the phone outright, no contract). I thought about the LG G2 since it is down to $480 but I have read many times the UI being troublesome and bloated. I really like the OnePlus One, but with it being a new company I wan't to wait and see how well they hold up.

I ended up ordering the N5 due to the fact that it still has good specs, amazing price, and because it is a Nexus device (stock android with fastest OS updates). Are there any known or common problems hardware related with the N5 that I should be aware of?

The N5 should be arriving today or tomorrow and am pretty excited. The only thing software wise that makes me nervous is how contacts and SMS/MMS will work. I have read numerous times that Hangouts is not very friendly or easy to use. I know I can try some free texting apps but I am not sure how contacts work on the N5. I know with Samsung and LG phones there is a Contacts Icon on the screen but doesn't it work differently on the N5?

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: How is the Nexus 5 holding up, reliable hardware wise?

I really like mine. It is a solid phone, and I love the display.
    I think the only issue you might run into is battery life, but that will also depend on various things like app syncing, cell signal etc... One thing to keep in mind; for the size of the phone the battery is slightly smaller versus other phones of the same dimensions.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Mine is awesome. Screen is immaculate still. I have a cheap seidio case on it, and have dropped it a couple times, but no damage. Speed is the same.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

I don't use a case, just a slickwrap on the back and tempered glass screen protector (highly recommend...$5 shipped on ebay). My device is absolutely mint and works as well as the day I got it if not better (I run stock+Xposed+GB+linaro version of Franco kernel...so actually improves with the dev community over time). I also tend to get a non-Nexus device a few times a year but always go back to Nexus for my daily driver. N5 is the best yet and I expect that to continue with the N6. Can't beat the overall experience and specs...at all IMO..but certainly not at this off contract price point. I think you'll be a happy fellow. Good luck and enjoy!

Mine is about 6 months old and remains pristine. I find Hangouts to be easy to use, with some nice features.

Posted via Android Central App

In weak signal areas (like where I work) it chews through battery for me. At home on wifi, battery is fantastic. I haven’t had any hardware issues.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Enjoy your new Nexus 5 and if you want other SMS/MMS app check out the screenshot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I've head mine since thanksgiving or so, and I couldn't be happier. Like someone else said, the battery is a little bit weak for me some days, but I very rarely don't make it till I get home to charge. For the price this phone is still just about the best buy one can make!

The battery life isn't the greatest, but surprisingly, that hasn't been as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

Hangouts isn't all that difficult to use. Try it, and if you don't like it, you can change your SMS app. I used 8sms for a while, and switched to chomp SMS, then to Textra. I'll switch again soon, because none of these are perfect, but they're all good. I've heard good things about evolveSMS and Hoverchat.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I really appreciate all the replies and feel even better about buying the Nexus 5, which just so happened to be delivered an hour ago and I am charging it now.

I don't think the battery should be an issue. I don't see how it could be any worse than the Samsung S3. Plus, I always keep a charger at home, at work, in the car, and carry a Mophie Juice Pack.
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.