Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By STARGATE
  • 1 Post By ordurves
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do carriers install bloatware on the Nexus 5? Can they delay upgrades?

I ask because I got the Galaxy Nexus hoping for a pure Google Android experience, but it was through Verizon and they did all this idiotic crap, disabling Google Wallet, blocking OS upgrades for months... I swore I'd never buy another phone from Verizon.

Now I'm looking for a used N5, (going to use a pre-paid plan) but it's really difficult to find one purchased directly through the Google Play store. They're all T-Mobile or AT&T. Do these phones have any software differences from the Google Play version?

Global Posts
    6,546 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Do carriers install bloatware on the Nexus 5? Can they delay upgrades?

Not the Nexus 5, at least not that I know.
    I have seen the AT&T and Sprint Nexus 5 phones with no bloatware.
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    srkmagnus likes this.

Default Re: Do carriers install bloatware on the Nexus 5? Can they delay upgrades?

Doesn't make sense. The N5 is GSM technology and does not work on Verizon network (cdma)

Global Posts
    3,926 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Not the Nexus 5, at least not that I know.
    I have seen the AT&T and Sprint Nexus 5 phones with no bloatware.
    Where did you see an AT&T Nexus 5? I think that you mean a T-Mobile Nexus 5.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post
    Now I'm looking for a used N5, (going to use a pre-paid plan) but it's really difficult to find one purchased directly through the Google Play store. They're all T-Mobile or AT&T. Do these phones have any software differences from the Google Play version?
    In the US, a Nexus 5 is a Nexus 5. Regardless of whether you buy it from the Play store, or from T-mo or from Sprint. (Note: there is a different variant D821 that is available outside the US)
    No software differences, and carriers don't install crap. If you get a used N5, you can perform a factory reset to start afresh.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ordurves View Post
    Doesn't make sense. The N5 is GSM technology and does not work on Verizon network (cdma)
    Op was referring to the Galaxy Nexus that was available on Verizon.

The N5 does support CDMA BTW - it works just fine on Sprint's network. It won't work on Verizon's network though.

No and No.

Which is why I bought this phone. Tired of bending over backwards to the carriers' mercy

Just saw you have cdma galaxy nexus. That wasn't a true nexus. You still had to bow down to the carrier for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Op was referring to the Galaxy Nexus that was available on Verizon.

The N5 does support CDMA BTW - it works just fine on Sprint's network. It won't work on Verizon's network though.
    Thanks for the clarification JJ
    jj14x likes this.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

You buy the N5 directly from Google and then get a SIMM card from a carrier, I'm using AT&T which offers a $15/month discount on no-contract plans when you bring your own device. Because the device is direcly from Google there is no carrier bloatware and you get the updates quickly. I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus also, I miss Verizon's network but not Verizon's policies. I used CyanogenMod on my GN to get around Verizon's interference with GN updates, however it was never particularly stable. With my N5 I haven't had to bother with custom ROMs although I am running Google's developer preview of Android L. I've found the performance of AT&Ts network to be considerably faster than Verizon's was in places where AT&T has coverage, however it's coverage in rural New England is pretty terrible, in the populated area's it's excelent.

Global Posts
    9,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I purchased my original N5 through the Google Play Store and had it replaced through insurance on Sprint a few months later. No bloat on the replacement, through Sprint (Asurion), so I would believe all carriers who offer the device to be the same.

It's not like the Galaxy Nexus, which did have bloat, so you would be in the clear if you decide to purchase through a carrier rather than Google.

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was a bit of an abomination. That said, I don't think it had any bloatware on it, just a few things disabled, and updates took longer.

The Sprint GNex also had issues, but mostly on the updates (which it did eventually get, just delayed).

Why the delay? Well, both phones were different than the AT&T/T-Mobile/Google Play phones, which were GSM Only. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA, and Sprint got a better version of the phone (32 GB of memory). Sprint played as nice as it could, and simply got things late. Verizon didn't play well, and stopped getting updates. The issue revolved around the CDMA antena though, and problems with Qualcomm pattents and such.

Anyway, the N4 and N5 have none of those issues, and the N5 even works with Sprint (but not Verizon).
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

I had a Sprint Galaxy Nexus and there was no carrier bloat on it at all. I even had to download the protection app.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post
    I ask because I got the Galaxy Nexus hoping for a pure Google Android experience, but it was through Verizon and they did all this idiotic crap, disabling Google Wallet, blocking OS upgrades for months... I swore I'd never buy another phone from Verizon.

No, it's only Verizon that does stuff like that. And it's also why Verizon has only had one Nexus device. Even Apple had to fight with them over bloat for the iPhone for years.

No bloat at all on my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by ordurves View Post
    The N5 supports both GSM and CDMA equipment. Lots of N5 on Sprint's CDMA networks. BTW, Verizon is moving away from CDMA to VoLTE.

Verizon’s VoLTE rollout will kill off CDMA – and allow unlocked LTE phones, too

I'm on sprint and bought my n5 through amazon. No bloatware and I get updates just as quickly as everyone on this forum it seems.

Posted via Android Central App