HELP! Tmobile, AT&T, or Sprint SRS

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
use less than 100 minutes a month?

$30 dollar tmobile 5 gb plan. I would even recommend it if you use 200 minutes a month (100* 0.10 = 10 dollars so total $40). 300 minutes may be pushing it.

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to tmoblie over a year ago and I'm glad I did. Only bad thing with tmoblie is out in the boondocks, check your area first.

Posted via somewhere!

precon22

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I just left sprint 👎 best decision I have made I'm on T-Mobile right now for about 3 weeks so far and wow is all I can say speeds in my area are incredible I pay about 100$ a month for unlimited everything including data I have no data cap and 5gb of hotspot I'm currently at 22gb used so far mainly due to watching Netflix and it cost me about 30 dollars on tip of my simply everything plan.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on an AT&T no contract plan with a $15/month discount because I brought my own device. I went with AT&T because T-Mobile has no coverage where I live. AT&T has moch better coverage than T-Mobile although it's worse than Verizon. Where AT&T does have good coverage I've found that the performance is considerably faster than Verizon (I see >40MBits/second in many places). However in rural New England there is mostly no coverage at all, not even roaming, outside of the larger towns. I benchmarked Sprint in a couple of their stores when I was shopping for service and the performance was awful (never better than 10Mbits/second), that was last year, I don't know how much they've improved since then.

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It depends on how much data you use per month. I'm not a heavy data user and Ting (ting.com) is saving me about $100/mo over Verizon for 2 smartphones, one of which is a Nexus5.. Ting uses the Sprint network. If you decide on Ting let me know because there is a $25 sign-up bonus.

Spruce1969

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I just called the AT&T store where I live and they said that the Nexus 5 wasn't certified on their network. Is that true or does the rep I spoke with not know what he was talking about?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just called the AT&T store where I live and they said that the Nexus 5 wasn't certified on their network. Is that true or does the rep I spoke with not know what he was talking about?

That makes no sense to me. The Nexus 5 should be fully compatible with AT&T.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, as mentioned before, it really depends on where you are. You could always test out T-Mobile's service easily by using Test Drive offer. They send you an iPhone 5s for you to use for a week, for free. At the end, you return the phone to any T-Mobile store. Unfortunately, you can't do this with any of their phones--only the iPhone. But it's a great way to test out the network.

If you do have a GSM-compatible phone, you could also get a SIM card from T-Mobile and try it out for as long as you like, since they don't have long-term contracts. If you don't like it, stop it at any time without an early termination fee.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The rep is wrong, I'm on AT&T, there was no issue when I walked into an AT&T store last fall and bought a SIMM and enabled the service.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
2 Options:
1) If you want a major carrier, check out Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile. AT&T is probably the best bet in general, but is more expensive. Sprint and T-Mobile's coverage may vary (Sprint has better coverage but some data issues due to upgrades, T-Mobile has less coverage in general, but good data where it has coverage). Sprint has Google Voice integration though, which is great.

2) Look for a pre-paid. Straight Talk is popular, and there are other pre-paid services for reasonable prices that will work with the N5.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

All that means is AT&T aren't sellling the N5 since you can get it cheaper via Goggle Playstore. AT&T won't qualify any phone they don't sell but that doesn't mean it won't work. The Nexus 5 has the same radio, LTE and data modem chips as the iPhone. The Nexus 5 has passed all the FCC approvals. Verizon won't allow the Nexus 5 phone on their network but AT&T doesn't prevent the Nexus 5 from using their networks.

Last edited:

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
use less than 100 minutes a month?

$30 dollar tmobile 5 gb plan. I would even recommend it if you use 200 minutes a month (100* 0.10 = 10 dollars so total $40). 300 minutes may be pushing it.

Yes, this plan is great. If you really need more minutes, the Virgin Mobile $35 plan might be better, but the data is throttled start 2.5 GB, if I remember correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34