Nexus 5 connecting via USB as wrong device

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange thing happened today when I plugged my Nexus 5 in to my Win 8.1 desktop--instead of it usually showing up in Windows Explorer as a device called "Nexus 5," nothing showed up except for a Safely Remove Device icon labeled "Nexus 5" in the System Tray. This had never occurred before, and the last time I had successfully connected the phone to the computer was last week. The desktop did install a slew of Windows updates (including the one that Microsoft quickly told everyone to uninstall because it might cause problems--bravo, MSFT!), so I wonder if one of those updates messed something up.

Anyway, when I opened the Windows Device Manager, I noticed that the phone was connecting now as an "Acer ADB" device. Which makes no sense because the last time I had an Acer device was about 2 years ago. I was able to fix things by right-clicking the Acer ADB device and uninstalling it from the desktop. Then I unplugged the phone from the computer, and plugged it back in again. The PnP protocol took over, and Windows automatically reinstalled the correct driver for the Nexus 5.

Hopefully, this will be helpful for anyone else experiencing a similar issue.

ario118

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, when I opened the Windows Device Manager, I noticed that the phone was connecting now as an "Acer ADB" device. Which makes no sense because the last time I had an Acer device was about 2 years ago. I was able to fix things by right-clicking the Acer ADB device and uninstalling it from the desktop. Then I unplugged the phone from the computer, and plugged it back in again. The PnP protocol took over, and Windows automatically reinstalled the correct driver for the Nexus 5.

Hopefully, this will be helpful for anyone else experiencing a similar issue.

It's not similar, it's EXACTLY the same. The problem is, when I did what you did, my computer still recognized the device as Acer ADB in the properties, although it's called Nexus 5 on the device manager. What else can I try?

ario118

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
(including the one that Microsoft quickly told everyone to uninstall because it might cause problems--bravo, MSFT!)

Oh and how do you uninstall these updates, or some of the updates? I never have any control over these updates. Every other week or so, instead of "shut down" I will get a "update and shut down" and there's nothing I can do to prevent it. Help on this would also be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, make sure Windows isn't set to automatically update. It's possible that if you uninstall the Acer ADB Device driver, Windows might immediately recognize this as a deficiency and try to install it again as an update.

Second, which properties are you referring to that still shows it as an Acer ADB device? Does it show up in your Windows Explorer as Nexus 5, with the Internal Storage available for exploration?

Third, here's the Microsoft support page about uninstalling the updates. MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014. Easy peasy! I'm being sarcastic.:-\

ario118

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Diddy, thank you very much for your response and attention.

First of all, I made a mistake. I didn't go to Device MANAGER as you said earlier. I went to Devices and Printers and removed it from there. So I did it wrong at first. Regarding the name, when I clicked on "Safely Remove Hardware" on the tray, it was recognized as Nexus 5. I clicked on open Devices and Printers, which is why I was taken there instead of the Device Manager. However, in Devices and Printers, when I right clcked the Nexus 5 icon and clicked on properties, that was when I saw the device was called Acer ADB Interface.

So, no, it didn't show up in Explorer. The name and properties I was talking about was from the Devices and Printers.

After realizing I made a mistake, I corrected it by going to the Device Manager and uninstall it from there. I even changed the setting so Windows wasn't on automatic update as you suggested before uninstalling the Acer ADB Device, then restart my computer. But, alas, when I plugged the Nexus back, it was still installed with this same Acer ADB Device driver. And as a result, it still didn't show up in Windows Explorer.

I haven't had the chance to read up on the link you provided there. Thanks for that and I plan to, as soon as I have the time. But for now, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try the same process of plugging the phone in, going to Device Manager, and uninstalling Acer ADB Device Driver. After it's uninstalled, go to Windows Update and click Check for Updates. Do you see an "Important Update" for Acer ADB Device come up? If so, obviously don't install it.

Now unplug the phone, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. You should see the PC installing a driver. Once it's done, open Windows Explorer--does it show up as Nexus 5 now?

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Try the same process of plugging the phone in, going to Device Manager, and uninstalling Acer ADB Device Driver. After it's uninstalled, go to Windows Update and click Check for Updates. Do you see an "Important Update" for Acer ADB Device come up? If so, obviously don't install it.

Now unplug the phone, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. You should see the PC installing a driver. Once it's done, open Windows Explorer--does it show up as Nexus 5 now?
Thank you! This worked, I'd tried everything previously with no success.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked! You should be able to delete your post on the forum website on your computer. Edit the post, and you should see a Delete option there. You might have to select Advanced to find it.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

ario118

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
go to Windows Update and click Check for Updates. Do you see an "Important Update" for Acer ADB Device come up?

There was no important update for Acer ADB Device. And since I thought it would be more or less the same process I did earlier, I didn't plug the Nexus right back in. Instead, I tried the other guy's suggestion to get the driver from the manufacturer instead of from Windows update (from the link you provided). Restart and plug it back in, and voila! My Nexus returned to My Computer (sorry, This PC, LOL!)

Thank you very much, man. I owe you big time. I'm not really familiar with 8.1 and haven't had the time to take it apart and learn it inside out as I have with my XP (Ohh, I missed that ol' reliable) although I've had this thing for quite a while now.

Really, if anyone had the same problem, this thread is the place for the solution. Thanks again, man.

Basit Bahram

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
This is what I did and it worked - for both my nexus 4 & 5. I didnt need to uninstall or delete anything so just try my way before doing those.

On the bottom right of the screen click on the device and select the open device. Then scroll down to the bottom and right click on the nexus 4 or 5 (depending on your device) and click on properties. Then click on 'hardware' on the top of the little property box, and it should then show the device as being an Acer ADB Interface. Double click on this name and then click on 'change settings'. The same looking box should pop up again and then you click on 'driver' which is at the top. Then you should see the option to 'update driver'. If you see this option but aren't able to click on it, then try my previous steps again exactly as ive said them - it should work.
When you click on update driver then go to 'browse my computer for driver software', then click on 'let me pick from a list of...', then click on the 'MTP USB device' and click next and that's it! It should work.

jenguin

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
This is what I did and it worked - for both my nexus 4 & 5. I didnt need to uninstall or delete anything so just try my way before doing those.

On the bottom right of the screen click on the device and select the open device. Then scroll down to the bottom and right click on the nexus 4 or 5 (depending on your device) and click on properties. Then click on 'hardware' on the top of the little property box, and it should then show the device as being an Acer ADB Interface. Double click on this name and then click on 'change settings'. The same looking box should pop up again and then you click on 'driver' which is at the top. Then you should see the option to 'update driver'. If you see this option but aren't able to click on it, then try my previous steps again exactly as ive said them - it should work.
When you click on update driver then go to 'browse my computer for driver software', then click on 'let me pick from a list of...', then click on the 'MTP USB device' and click next and that's it! It should work.

THANK YOU!!!!! This actually worked and I'm so happy. Thank you thank you thank you!! xx

Liz Rn Bsn

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
This worked! I deleted the microsoft update file. Then I deleted the ADB device file under devices. I also changed the way microsoft updates my drivers by making it never download a driver. This made my device recognizable where I can see the hard drive!

Thank you!!!!!!

Liz