is nexus 5 still worth getting?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, right now I have a nexus 5 on its way. It's should arrive on Tuesday. However,thinking about it over the weekend, I'm wondering if perhaps I made a mistake. The phone is 9 months old, and the nexus 6 is probably going to hit in the next three months or so. But I'm unsure if it would appeal to me since it may be like 6inchs. Or heck, there might not even be one.

But I'm wondering if maybe I pulled the trigger too soon on it and should have waited for the next one. What do you guys think? I just wanted an off contract android phone. Couldn't really afford the other ones off contract, but I'm worried about the age of it.

zolo185

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
So, right now I have a nexus 5 on its way. It's should arrive on Tuesday. However,thinking about it over the weekend, I'm wondering if perhaps I made a mistake. The phone is 9 months old, and the nexus 6 is probably going to hit in the next three months or so. But I'm unsure if it would appeal to me since it may be like 6inchs. Or heck, there might not even be one.

But I'm wondering if maybe I pulled the trigger too soon on it and should have waited for the next one. What do you guys think? I just wanted an off contract android phone. Couldn't really afford the other ones off contract, but I'm worried about the age of it.
Too late and too soon. Ivr had mine since December and I can't wait for the next nexus (if it's even coming) but if I were to buy another phone this time of year I wouldn't get the nexus 5 now. I would lean towards the Gs5 or lg g3 or wait for note 4 , nexus 6. For now why not get a cheaper phone to hold you out till the "NEXT BIG THING". I know if I had the money now that I'd wait.

But good luck with your decision, don't let my opinion cloud your judgment.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Depends. If you like a reliable, fast Smartphone with good hardware and if you want to be one of the first ones to get Android L on your phone then yes, the Nexus 5 is the one phone you should go for.
I you got time on your hands and can wait, you could always wait for the next best thing...

BTW if you wanna get more specific answers, try one of the many other threads here (just a few down is the next one) who ask the same question. ;)
The topic has been utterly discussed, showing al the pros and the few cons of buying the actual Nexus model. Interesting stuff to read, because everyone has a different perspective on the matter...

Shambopyro

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Being that the nexus 5 could possibly get a price drop soon, buying one now could be a good idea. If a firesale takes place this year like last year, then anyone who bought a nexus 5 a maximum of 15 days before the sale will be eligible for a 100 dollar rebate. Also if you used a credit card with price protection like discover, you'd still get a rebate if you bought it 90 days before the price dropped. Last year the nexus 4 went on sale on August 27, so if google put the nexus 5 on sale on the exact same day as last year's sale, you might qualify for a rebate, depending on the day you bought it. Although that is quite a few ifs :)

P.S. I have a red nexus 5 on the way.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Being that the nexus 5 could possibly get a price drop soon, buying one now could be a good idea. If a firesale takes place this year like last year, then anyone who bought a nexus 5 a maximum of 15 days before the sale will be eligible for a 100 dollar rebate. Also if you used a credit card with price protection like discover, you'd still get a rebate if you bought it 90 days before the price dropped. Last year the nexus 4 went on sale on August 27, so if google put the nexus 5 on sale on the exact same day as last year's sale, you might qualify for a rebate, depending on the day you bought it. Although that is quite a few ifs :)

P.S. I have a red nexus 5 on the way.

Really? Did not know that. That's interesting :)

I was mainly concerned if the silicon in the phone is going to hold up well for the next year or two.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone--I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. And honestly, a person can drive himself nuts by wondering about the what if's when it comes to the next new phones coming down the line. Just enjoy your new Nexus 5!

Shambopyro

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is one the fence about buying the nexus 5, as of now the only 2 models left in stock are red and white 32 gb models. It's anyone's guess if they'll replenish stock this late.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
When you get it next week, RavenSword, your buyer's remorse will evaporate. It's a great phone at that price and ticks most of the boxes (ticks many boxes other current model phones cannot).

FreeFool

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I've got one coming from Clove (UK) but stock has been delayed, they only have white and black ones. I currently have an S4 but really want the non bloatware experience more than anything. I think there will be a couple of S4 features I will miss but i wont miss the majority.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I shared some of the same concerns as you when I bought the device a month ago.

No regrets at all buying this device and IMO there haven't been massive improvements in the tech space since last year.

The performance of Snapdragon 800 on a 1080p display and Snapdragon 805 on 2k display are very very similar, infact Snapdragon 800 beats it most times.

But other than that, Nexus 5 is a superb device. Don't take what the reviewers tell you seriously, Nexus 5 is a very amazing device.

Oh and Android L is just around the corner, so more improvements are coming soon.

Don't regret buying this superb device, it beats even many of the 2014 flagships like the Galaxy S5 and LG G3 in performance.

cbobb123

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Unless you want the latest and greatest the nexus 5 is fine. And with 2.3GHz and 2GB ram, it should have enough power to last at least at the 2 years from now.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Unless you want the latest and greatest the nexus 5 is fine. And with 2.3GHz and 2GB ram, it should have enough power to last at least at the 2 years from now.

I would just like to point out that Android doesn't need beefy specifications to run smoothly anymore. The Moto X with it's dual core processor proves this point very well.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I got the phone all set up and everything, but I'm noticing a bit of hitching. Like when scrolling web pages, scrolling through the play store, and the notification pane when I do two finger swipe down there some flickering. Could this be due to when I tried to update to 4.4 I had a weird issue where when u hit restart and install it didn't do anything until I went back and did check for update again? It downloaded and rebooted eventually, but was curious if there could have been a weird bug created by that? Or have people experienced similar stuff with 4.4.4?

Do you guys also think this phone should hold up well for the next 2 years or so?

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition, which is generally a good idea after a system update. Bear in mind that the Nexus 5 can take upwards of 10 minutes to finish this process, so let it run. http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html

I clear the cache using the "System Optimizer" of my Comodo Internet Security. I guess this clears the cache, but doesn't refomat it? But at least it happens quickly.
Anyway, I think clearing the cache now and then is generally a good idea...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That kind of cache clearing is different--that's only clearing the individual app caches. What I referred to was the system cache partition, which your System Optimizer can't clear.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

In addition to what everyone else said, you bought a great phone and no it's not too soon or too late (weren't you wondering the same thing 5 months ago?). It would be a great decision 6 months from now too! I hope you'll love it. :thumbup::)