Thinking About a Nexus 5 few of Questions

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Just lost my M8 looking at Nexus 5 as replacement and wanted to ask a few of questions:

1) Is there a built in app to put the phone in "night mode" silence calls, emails, ect...? If not can anyone suggest a good app for this?
2) Is a Hot spot app built in or have to go third party for this too? Any suggestions if one not built in?
3) I hear so many different opinions on battery life is it really that bad?

Thanks!

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
1. As far as I know, there is no Night Mode control built in. Right now, I'm using the night mode title from Battery Widget Reborn. It can turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, sounds, data, etc. You can choose which things it toggles, and you can set it to activate automatically at night or do it manually.
2. Yes, I think so. It's in the settings. I haven't used it yet.
3. It lasts me a day, and it's around 30 percent by night. I'm using it more than I usually would, so I don't know what it'll be like when I reduce my usage. The battery life can certainly be better, but I'm okay with it. I'm able to charge it every day, so I'm not complaining. I'm hoping Android L will make the battery life better.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
1. Nightskeeper.
and
3. I think this depends on carrier. What would you consider acceptable battery life?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The battery life is not close to the M8. If battey is essential you might try to get a one plus one. Might even be less than the nexus 5 depending on the deal you get.

Posted via Nexus 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1) Is there a built in app to put the phone in "night mode" silence calls, emails, ect...?
There's no built-in night mode. The Nexus 5 has no bloatware, and night mode is not a standard feature of vanilla Android. I can't advise you on an app for this function, but I'm sure others can.

2) Is a Hot spot app built in or have to go third party for this too?
There is a wi-fi hotspot function, but your wireless plan needs to have the option. If you don't have the option, or don't want to pay for it, you could try FoxFi, although I've heard varying success with it.

The battery is not made for extended use. I average about 3 hours of total screen-on time per charge (while phones like the Galaxy S5 and LG G3 get more like 4-5 hours). But I'm not a heavy user, so a full charge typically lasts me a whole day.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
1) Is there a built in app to put the phone in "night mode" silence calls, emails, ect...? If not can anyone suggest a good app for this?
Pressing the down-volume button will silence your ringer. Night mode is built into the notification panel. I use this app for real-time brightness control on any screen and it has worked awesome for me.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pepper.DisplayBrightness&hl=en&token=L_-uMmpg

It works on any screen (even while playing videos or on the lock screen). The bar can be set to fade when you're not using it. It's really an ingenious app, and should work on any Android phone.

2) Is a Hot spot app built in or have to go third party for this too? Any suggestions if one not built in?
There is a built in hotspot in Settings. Most people install a 3rd party service like FoxFi. These just make accessing your hotspot easier though...they will not mask tethering activity from your carrier.

This app will. It will make all data look like phone data to your carrier, even if you are tethering. You do need to be rooted to use it though. - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....snclab.wifitetherrouter&hl=en&token=AUJ6Hl3n

The complainers are always the most vocal. The truth is in the middle...they are kinda right. Compared to most flagship phones, the Nexus 5 has worse battery life. The iPhone's battery life is a little better, but it is also doing a lot less. The G3 and S5 and M8 get much better battery life, but they are also physically larger phones (and so can mount larger batteries).

But all things are relative. My nexus 5 gets about twice the battery life of a Galaxy S3, or my Nexus 4. 4 hours+ screen time and 16 hours+ total battery life is common for me, and I am a moderate to heavy user (never turn down brightness or turn off LTE). MP3s and email will not drain battery fast (the nexus is actually extremely efficient for playing music). Games and camera do though.

Battery life will depend on how you use your phone. But it will not get the battery life than the M8 does for sure.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
There's no built-in night mode. The Nexus 5 has no bloatware, and night mode is not a standard feature of vanilla Android.
It is on my Nexus 5 version.

Screenshot_2014-08-18-10-24-01 copy.jpg

There is a wi-fi hotspot function, but your wireless plan needs to have the option. If you don't have the option, or don't want to pay for it, you could try FoxFi, although I've heard varying success with it.
I have tried FoxFi...it just activates your native hotspot. If you do not have approved tethering access through your carrier, they will prevent it from working. If I go over my 500MB limit on my T-mobile plan, T-mobile cuts off my tethering. And FoxFi will not restore it.

The app I linked to should bypass those restrictions though. It will let you tether on anything, whether you have a tethering plan or not.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't see that attachment. Really, you have a night mode? I.e., an option to silence the phone for a prespecified time period?

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean now--just read your previous post. I thought the question was about a night mode that silenced the phone for a prespecified time period. The basic night mode you're referring to has to be turned on and off manually (unless you use an app like Tasker).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I see what you mean now--just read your previous post. I thought the question was about a night mode that silenced the phone for a prespecified time period. The basic night mode you're referring to has to be turned on and off manually (unless you use an app like Tasker).
Yes. It could be easier to get to, but getting to the notification bar is pretty easy already IMO.

Screenshot_2014-08-18-10-24-01 copy.jpg

The attachment is coming up for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see the attachment now. I don't have that notification. The icon makes it look like Battery Widget Reborn or some similar widget. You're saying this came stock on your N5? Did you get your N5 direct from Google Play, or through another outlet?

EDIT: Actually, do you have Android L installed? I just noticed the different Back, Home, and Recent Apps buttons.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I see the attachment now. I don't have that notification. The icon makes it look like Battery Widget Reborn or some similar widget. You're saying this came stock on your N5? Did you get your N5 direct from Google Play, or through another outlet?

EDIT: Actually, do you have Android L installed? I just noticed the different Back, Home, and Recent Apps buttons.

Oh you're right, maybe it is. I thought it was native Android, but maybe it is attached to that Widget.

I have a button modifer app that changes the buttons to look like L. I do not have the preview installed. I am running rooted stock 4.4.4.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Tasker. (It's the answer to a lot of "can this phone do ..." questions.)

2) Whether you can tether depends on the carrier as well as the phone. If the carrier allows it, almost any tethering app will work.

3) The thing that puts it on my "do not look at" list is the non-removable battery. I don't buy phones with non-removable batteries. Since a good, well-treated battery usually lasts no more than 3 years, I tend to keep my phones longer than that, finding a battery for a phone like that is difficult (and usually expensive) and, at my age, I'd probably need someone to do it for me by the time I needed a new battery, it's not an option I choose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12