Facebook's Autoplay videos are killing my Battery & Data Plan

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Facebook has recently enabled autoplay videos in your feed as a default. Facebook autoplay videos are neat feature to have video's running as you are reading your news feed but it also runs up your cell modem data usage as well as burns your battery. Now I have several ALS Ice Bucket videos all playing and downloading when every I open up Facebook. I have been noticing that my data was going up a lot this month. After reading a article that everyone is posting their ALS Ice Bucket challenges that it is impacting people's data plan and battery are getting killed by Facebook with this new Facebook Autoplay video default.

Also, for extra battery saving tip in your Facebook setting disable Messenger Location service.

Learn how to disable videos from playing automatically in your Facebook news feed for both the mobile app and on the desktop.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook's Autoplay ALS Ice Bucket videos are killing my Battry & Data Plan

Very useful thing to point out, thanks!

ukbuk

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'll second that. About the first eight posts on my news feed the other day were all Ice bucket challenge videos. I swear most people are using warm water!!!

Cheers

Nick

Posted via the Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I just deleted the app altogether. Massive improvement in standby time for me.

I agree Facebook even works better for me using a browser like Chrome to access Facebook and just bookmark it. That way I control what Facebook is doing in the background to prevent it from using my GPS to track my move. I'm not against Facebook but that App isn't worth all the phone resources it burns up when I'm not even reading Facebook.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I agree Facebook even works better for me using a browser like Chrome to access Facebook and just bookmark it. That way I control what Facebook is doing in the background to prevent it from using my GPS to track my move. I'm not against Facebook but that App isn't worth all the phone resources it burns up when I'm not even reading Facebook.

Exactly.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy