Nexus 5 Power Button Sunk In - Google Support Refuses to Help - Possible Fixes?

koreandude

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
So today I noticed my Nexus 5's power button has sunk in - half of it is flush with the chassis, and it triggers at the slightest pressure. It also doesn't register all presses reliably, so booting into the bootloader was, ah, frustrating.

Google Support helpfully told me that since it "works," they can't do anything, and they suggested that I use a case with it (which turns off the phone, btw). Then they hung up, nice of them.

Anyway, does anyone have any fixes or solutions to this issue? The phone turns on in my pocket, sitting in the cupholder of my car while driving (vibrations), and pretty much any time you move the button.

It's under warranty, and the phone has no water or drop damage, and is functionally and aesthetically perfect (aside from the damned button). Google just won't repair the thing because the button "works."

Thanks guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, did you actually buy your Nexus 5 from Google Play, or from somewhere else? If you bought it from somewhere else, they wouldn't be able to help you anyway--they'd direct you to where you bought the phone.

Second, when you discussed the issue with them, how much did you talk about the easy screen waking or sleeping due to inadvertent presses or minor jiggles? I would play that up, and tell them how that interferes with the normal function of the phone--especially if you're trying to use Google Maps to navigate, and it suddenly goes to sleep because the power button registered.

koreandude

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought the phone from Google Play, yes. And I did tell them about the issues in detail, but they're still denying any issues with the button.