Can Google Play Music play locally stored MP3's?

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have 20GB of music stored on my N5 and had been using Poweramp for MP3 playback. I wanted to try All Access so I opened up Play Music, but I don't see anyway to play the music that is stored locally on the phone. Is there a way to do this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AppleTraitor

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
On my LG G3, if you have a file manager, and the tracks are in a folder by album, I can move them to the Music directory and Google Music recognizes them.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
All my mp3's are in the "music" directory on my internal storage. But if I turn on airplane mode (to see if it will work offline) everything is greyed out. I thought I remembered seeing a toggle under "My Library" for "on device" but I don't see that anymore.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They changed "On Device" to "Downloaded," and I don't know if that is really only for music downloaded directly from Google Play Music, or if it will play any locally stored tracks. Does anything come up when you flip that Downloaded switch?

EDIT: I just tested it myself by copying one of my ringtone mp3's from the Ringtone folder to the Music folder. Then I switched the Google Play Music setting to show Downloaded Only. Apart from songs that have been temporarily cached from my recent listening, the only other song that showed up was that ringtone mp3 (I otherwise don't transfer any music to local storage). So that option should work for you. If you don't see the music initially, try the Refresh Music option in the Google Play Music settings.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I tried your method and it didn't work. Is your music directory the normal one on internal storage or a different folder?

karimpas7

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
On google play doesn't have a library? There it shows all my music...
Also in settings there is a re-new music selection.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried your method and it didn't work. Is your music directory the normal one on internal storage or a different folder?

Internal Storage--just the "Music" folder that is off the main root directory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you Refresh Music in the Google Play Music Settings?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I figured out the problem and feel like an *****, but I had a ".nomedia" file in my music folder..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah-ha! I didn't think of mentioning that, because I didn't think that would be the case in a folder full of media!😊 Glad you figured it out.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.