Dropped the phone and the networks disappear

texasdago

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Dropped my two week old Nexus 5 on the ground... if you look at it, everything looks fine. Apps work, wi-fi works BUT I can no longer pick up a mobile network. It just shows a black signal (black triangle where the signal bars would be). I try to go into Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Operators to Search Networks or Choose automatically and it just searches but can't find anything. I can't figure it out. Everything seems to be OK but I can't get a mobile network. I took it to a cell repair place but they couldn't figure it out after opening it up. Any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could try doing a factory reset, but something tells me it won't do any good. Same thing happened to my old Galaxy S2 a while ago. Tiny drop from lap to floor, landed flat on the screen. Nothing broken, nothing loose, nothing missing, except cell service. Long story short, mother board got screwed and I got a new Note 2.

PS: You can pretty much tell if it's a similar issue if the phone cannot list its own IMEI.

PS: Two weeks old? This should still be under warranty (and in some places, even within the exchange/return period). Just don't tell them you dropped it.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Sir, well check out the screen shot.
seqy3ety.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
That is just mean... funny, but mean...

Well, it look that you are right. My apologies to you. You know, years ago I don't used cover or protection cases on my previous mobile phones. Then smart phones came around and BlackBerry was the big name out there. My four former BlackBerry were all in the Bold Series, must expensive line. One of those was dropped accidentally by my wife and dies. So since I'm not going to divorce my wife after thirty years of marriage on behalf of BlackBerry I come to Android; HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+ ( 64GB internal memory ), HTC ONE (M7), LG G2, and currently Nexus 5. All these Android devices were cover in Otter Box. When I bought my Nexus 5 I bought Google Bumper Case too. I love my Nexus 5, not as much I love my wife, but I love it. Waiting for the next Nexus , the 6 or X , no matter the name.
a2a2eden.jpg

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I have a good case on it. The whole thing is a mystery to me.

Sir, I'm really sorry about your Nexus. Something wrong here because you got it on a good case. The impossibility to connect to your carrier network is a very sad situation. I hope that you find a way to recover your network signal. Good luck Sir.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If that were the case, the message would read as NO SIM on the screen. From what I understand (and what happened to mine) is that he gets no service at all.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Could the SIM card of gotten knocked loose inside the phone?
I was thinking the SIM as well. OP, remove the SIM and re-insert it. Won't hurt to give that a try if nothing else has helped.

I'd also suggest contacting the carrier to see if they can get you a replacement.

lpbug

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. However, when I do *#*#4636#*#*->phone info, I can see the IMEI information. In signal strength it says -73 dBm and 20 asu which is fairly okay. However, as soon as I put a sim card in the signal strength reads 0 dBm and 99 asu. Don't know what's quite going on here. Also it displays the phone number as well as notify me that I have voice mail when I plug the SIM card in. However, it won't let me make calls or send texts and just says "no service".

Any ideas?

dzys88

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. I have a case and a screen protector. My n5 has survived drops to concrete and kitchen tiles unscathed. However a small drop from waist height onto carpet killed its signal. Most likely antenna fried. Or worse the transceiver.

Qaz321

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
I realize this thread is old but I found it when searching google for "dropped phone no signal" at the top of the 1st page of Google. Just thought I would post a possible fix (to at least try) for this in case someone comes across this from a search. I was able to fix this issue on my phone by powering the phone off and removing the sim card. I restarted my phone with no sim and of course no sim detected was displayed. I then powered it off and put the sim card back in and powered it back on. The signal was restored for me. I had tried several other suggestions I had found online including a factory reset none of which worked. Hopefully this may help someone else.

hopecode

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
I realize this thread is old but I found it when searching google for "dropped phone no signal" at the top of the 1st page of Google. Just thought I would post a possible fix (to at least try) for this in case someone comes across this from a search. I was able to fix this issue on my phone by powering the phone off and removing the sim card. I restarted my phone with no sim and of course no sim detected was displayed. I then powered it off and put the sim card back in and powered it back on. The signal was restored for me. I had tried several other suggestions I had found online including a factory reset none of which worked. Hopefully this may help someone else.

thanks it was useful to me. my phone has dual sim. at first only one sim worked..i repeated the process few times and made some changes in settings..and now both sims
are working.

Last edited:

C Sam

Apr 5, 2021
Visit site

OMG. Thank you so much. It worked. I had done so many things from adding new APN to factory reset. But nothing worked. I'm so glad I read your comment and thanks to you for posting it.
Though im a little worried if it will stop working again after a while. I do hope not.
But thankyou for suggesting a possible fix.