Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why do Nexus 5 to Nexus 5 calls on T-Mobile sound so fantastic?

Is there something to this? My Nexus 5 is on T-Mobile. Calls from my girlfriend 's Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon sound like your typical cell phone crap. Calls from my cousin who also has a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile, however, sound ridiculously clear and precise. It's more like a Hangouts call via my desktop. Has anyone else noticed a difference? I didn't think the Nexus 5 could do HD voice.
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Newman View Post
    It works on my M8

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yep. Any compatible HD phone calling another HD compatible phone on the T-Mobile Network will allow HD voice to automatically be used -- which makes the call sound very clear.

Default re:

I noticed out the first time I called another tm nexus 5... Haven't tried it with another phone so I'm not sure what the deal is.. I can only assume that by keeping the call in network, they can provide a greater dynamic range
    Banned

Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default re:

It's just HD voice. It's not a Nexus specific thing, but I agree...calls to another Nexus 5 on T-Mobile are the only times I have heard it so far. And yeah, it is awesome. The calls have actual bass, which is weird to hear on a phone call.

HD voice requires support for both the carrier and the hardware, which is why it's not widespread yet.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default re:

That's fantastic. I didn't think much of the whole HD voice thing until now, but man, what a difference. Just another reason to love this phone. It must have just rolled out in my area.
    Banned

Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default re:

Would be interested to know if anyone has gotten HD Voice to work on anything other than a Nexus...the only instances I have heard about so far involve Nexus 5s.

Default re:

I don't find this to be the case.

Default re:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Would be interested to know if anyone has gotten HD Voice to work on anything other than a Nexus...the only instances I have heard about so far involve Nexus 5s.
    It works on my M8

Default re:

I can tell the differences when I call my friend with a Nexus 5 over T-Mobile but most high end phones all sound pretty good that have come out in the last year over T-Mobile. My friends S5 on T-Mobile is also clear. I sure can hear a lower quality when talking to a lot of other phones like my wife's 2 year old cell phone.

Default re:

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Newman View Post
    It works on my M8

Yep. Any compatible HD phone calling another HD compatible phone on the T-Mobile Network will allow HD voice to automatically be used -- which makes the call sound very clear.

Default re:

Galaxy Note 3 also sound crystal clear with Nexus 5.