Why do Nexus 5 to Nexus 5 calls on T-Mobile sound so fantastic?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there something to this? My Nexus 5 is on T-Mobile. Calls from my girlfriend 's Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon sound like your typical cell phone crap. Calls from my cousin who also has a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile, however, sound ridiculously clear and precise. It's more like a Hangouts call via my desktop. Has anyone else noticed a difference? I didn't think the Nexus 5 could do HD voice.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

I noticed out the first time I called another tm nexus 5... Haven't tried it with another phone so I'm not sure what the deal is.. I can only assume that by keeping the call in network, they can provide a greater dynamic range

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
re:

It's just HD voice. It's not a Nexus specific thing, but I agree...calls to another Nexus 5 on T-Mobile are the only times I have heard it so far. And yeah, it is awesome. The calls have actual bass, which is weird to hear on a phone call.

HD voice requires support for both the carrier and the hardware, which is why it's not widespread yet.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
re:

That's fantastic. I didn't think much of the whole HD voice thing until now, but man, what a difference. Just another reason to love this phone. It must have just rolled out in my area.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
re:

Would be interested to know if anyone has gotten HD Voice to work on anything other than a Nexus...the only instances I have heard about so far involve Nexus 5s.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
re:

I can tell the differences when I call my friend with a Nexus 5 over T-Mobile but most high end phones all sound pretty good that have come out in the last year over T-Mobile. My friends S5 on T-Mobile is also clear. I sure can hear a lower quality when talking to a lot of other phones like my wife's 2 year old cell phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

It works on my M8

Posted via the Android Central App

Yep. Any compatible HD phone calling another HD compatible phone on the T-Mobile Network will allow HD voice to automatically be used -- which makes the call sound very clear.