Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I had a phone with a cracked screen & screen was black and not working. Was able to verify that the phone itself worked fine.

I replaced the screen assembly but before gluing it in, I wanted to make sure it works... but it's not working! Phone boots up and makes sounds, LED blinks, but the screen is 100% off.

What else could possibly be wrong? I did notice that there are contacts on the back panel which isn't attached. Does the screen somehow need the back panel to be attached in order to work?

What I'm trying to figure out is, do I have a bad screen assembly that needs to be returned, or is there something else wrong with my phone?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It's likely that you missed a connection when putting in the new one or that you didn't replace it properly. I don't think there's anything else wrong with the phone, it just needs to be repaired correctly. For that, I'd recommend sending it in to a professional for repair to save you the headache of having to buy and replace parts just to find out that it still won't work.

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
It's likely that you missed a connection when putting in the new one or that you didn't replace it properly. I don't think there's anything else wrong with the phone, it just needs to be repaired correctly. For that, I'd recommend sending it in to a professional for repair to save you the headache of having to buy and replace parts just to find out that it still won't work.

Took it in to a pro, he confirmed bad LCD screen. There was also some water damage he cleaned. (He said it would be a free diagnosis, then he bait & switched me and charged for the cleaning I didn't authorize. >:-[ Annoyed. )

Weird thing is that the screen wouldn't work at all until he fixed the water damage. (I'm not even sure how you fix water damage...) But after he cleaned it, the screen lit up but had huge white bars across it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You could get it replaced by Google. They will replace any damaged N5 bought from the play store as per yesterdays AC article.

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
You could get it replaced by Google. They will replace any damaged N5 bought from the play store as per yesterdays AC article.

Mine had been originally from T-Mobile. I'm really wishing I had bought it from Google Play now. I came here before I bought and people were saying there's no difference in the phones, but I didn't think about the customer experience of Google being different.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine had been originally from T-Mobile. I'm really wishing I had bought it from Google Play now. I came here before I bought and people were saying there's no difference in the phones, but I didn't think about the customer experience of Google being different.
Maybe they still will replace it? It's worth a try. I have a feeling they might.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood