Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    I had a phone with a cracked screen & screen was black and not working. Was able to verify that the phone itself worked fine.

    I replaced the screen assembly but before gluing it in, I wanted to make sure it works... but it's not working! Phone boots up and makes sounds, LED blinks, but the screen is 100% off.

    What else could possibly be wrong? I did notice that there are contacts on the back panel which isn't attached. Does the screen somehow need the back panel to be attached in order to work?

    What I'm trying to figure out is, do I have a bad screen assembly that needs to be returned, or is there something else wrong with my phone?
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,177 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    It's likely that you missed a connection when putting in the new one or that you didn't replace it properly. I don't think there's anything else wrong with the phone, it just needs to be repaired correctly. For that, I'd recommend sending it in to a professional for repair to save you the headache of having to buy and replace parts just to find out that it still won't work.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    It's likely that you missed a connection when putting in the new one or that you didn't replace it properly. I don't think there's anything else wrong with the phone, it just needs to be repaired correctly. For that, I'd recommend sending it in to a professional for repair to save you the headache of having to buy and replace parts just to find out that it still won't work.
    Took it in to a pro, he confirmed bad LCD screen. There was also some water damage he cleaned. (He said it would be a free diagnosis, then he bait & switched me and charged for the cleaning I didn't authorize. > Annoyed. )

    Weird thing is that the screen wouldn't work at all until he fixed the water damage. (I'm not even sure how you fix water damage...) But after he cleaned it, the screen lit up but had huge white bars across it.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    You could get it replaced by Google. They will replace any damaged N5 bought from the play store as per yesterdays AC article.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    You could get it replaced by Google. They will replace any damaged N5 bought from the play store as per yesterdays AC article.
    Mine had been originally from T-Mobile. I'm really wishing I had bought it from Google Play now. I came here before I bought and people were saying there's no difference in the phones, but I didn't think about the customer experience of Google being different.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    Quote Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post
    Mine had been originally from T-Mobile. I'm really wishing I had bought it from Google Play now. I came here before I bought and people were saying there's no difference in the phones, but I didn't think about the customer experience of Google being different.
    Maybe they still will replace it? It's worth a try. I have a feeling they might.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    Anyone know the number to call?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Just replaced the screen assembly, but it's still black

    Quote Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post
    Anyone know the number to call?
    8363987 with 855 area code. Hope it's OK to post that, it's available online anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2014, 05:50 PM
  2. How to Disable the Camera Widget on Locked Screen
    By almachristinah in forum LG G3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
  3. When will the flame wars end?
    By msm0511 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM
  4. Wifi works on laptops but NOT on 2 Android phones
    By josephc41976 in forum Moto G (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions