Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default In depth guide on how to downgrade to 4.4.3??

Hello guys,
    so I've pretty much had it with my N5. yesterday it shut off and wouldn't turned on and was showing a red blinking led light.. i searched around and now got it to boot. but then OMG it's not even charging ffs…
    I've used like 139248238 different chargers. connected to my laptop..to the wall still having problems..
    i finally got a charger that would work only if the phone was switched off. but it's been charging for almost 10 hours now.. when i turn it on, it's on 70%. if i try to charge it while the phone is on.. it''ll be showing "charging" but the charge will be decreasing to 69..68..

I've searched around and I've seen people say it's the 4.4.4 update that has so many issues.

so please I'm asking for an in depth guide to downgrade it.. i read somewhere that you could.
    my n5 isn't rooted right now btw.

Thank you

Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: In depth guide on how to downgrade to 4.4.3??

While it *is* possible to downgrade to 4.4.3, be aware that the problem you are facing really has nothing to do with that.
    The OS update isn't causing the charging issues - that has to do with either your battery, or your charger or your charging cable, or your charging port. If you have the OEM charger and the OEM charging cable, use that and see if that works. Try to borrow a Wall charger/cable from a friend who has a relatively new(er) Android phone (Samsung S4/S5 or HTC One M7/M8 etc) and see if that helps.

Do you have access to a Qi charger? if so, try that.
    (I assume you are on the stock kernel)

Downgrading to 4.4.3 is relatively straightfoward - read the steps (and warnings) at https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images - but read my note above - your charging issues have nothing to do with the OS update. You can try a factory reset (which will wipe all your data off your phone) if you suspect a software issue with some app.

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I'm inclined to agree with the jj14x regarding the problems you are experiencing. It has nothing to do with the OS update itself, instead, it's likely related to hardware or a charging cable/power source.

Let us know if a factory reset fixes the problem or if it continues.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Alright man..thanks a lot for the reply.
    I'll go get the Qi charger today and see how that works out first.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I went and got the factory Charger but it still doesn't work. matter of fact all charger cable/dock no longer work any more.
    but i went ahead and got the Qi wireless charger and it's been working perfectly so far. so i guess i'll be using that for now. but it's really an inconvenience

Sounds like you've got a hardware problem with the USB plug on your N5. If you still got the option to send it in an get a replacement, I would do that.

Before you dig in with brain surgery or warranty claims, may I suggest a can of compressed air and a toothpick?

My N5 also wasn't charging, and the USB port was flaky to boot. Turns out, the two little prongs on the top of the USB cable weren't latching inside the port. Between the end of a toothpick and a blast of canned air, I cleaned out the gunk and problem solved! I have no idea if that will help you, but it's worth a try.

If you do want to perform a brain transplant, I like the Nexus Root Toolkit. It makes things a one-click operation.

--Qfg