Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google creates new free replacement program for damaged Nexus 5 phones

This Android Central story needs to be pined on this Nexus 5 page.

Google creates new free replacement program for damaged Nexus 5 phones | Android Central
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Google creates new free replacement program for damaged Nexus 5 phones

Just heard about that a few minutes ago. Impressive.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy and Shilohcane like this.

Global Posts
    9,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Google creates new free replacement program for damaged Nexus 5 phones

I've seen multiple people online confirming that devices are being replaced, which is a good thing. Although I don't think it's something Google is expected to be doing, it's a good PR move on their end to offer onetime replacements when applicable.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Mod note: Thread stuck.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    This Android Central story needs to be pined on this Nexus 5 page.
    How's that for customer service from the folks here at AC?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Sweet!

Not that mine's damaged yet, but it's nice to know.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

It is pretty great! Wonder if they feel the need to compete with the other flagships?

This is exactly the kind of thing that lead me to leave apple for google in the first place. So nice to see a company assist their customers instead of one that views an accident as another opportunity to rip customers off. Thank-you google.

Posted via Android Central App

Just finished my phone call...they are replacing my first Nexus. Pretty cool, now I have a backup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    daihard2008 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmhotch View Post
    Just finished my phone call...they are replacing my first Nexus. Pretty cool, now I have a backup.

You mean they won't make you return your damaged phone? That's pretty nice.

Yes, u need to return your damaged phone within 7 days or they will charge you for a full price.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanked by:

That makes sense!

They provide a prepaid shipping label to send in your broken device and they place a hold on your card until they receive it. It shipped at 1 AM and is out for delivery at 5 AM. Good service!
    Thanked by:
    Hvacmanjc likes this.

If only they did this on devices bought from someone else. Bought this recently used and it has really bad scratches on the screen (I got a deal).

I'm sure they could look up where the phone was purchased using the serial # or something?

Are replacements still being offered? I'm wondering how many Nexus 5s does Google have left in stock because all Nexus 5 models are listed as out of inventory on the Google Play Store and the Nexus 6 was launched recently/

I believe they still offering that free replacement till further notice and plus, you're getting a refurbished phone so it doesn't really matter if the site says they're our of stock I'm sure they still have it

Posted via the Android Central App

I just called this morning on mine. Dropped out of my jacket pocket and fell about 1.5ft onto brick sidewalk. Bottom corner is broken glass and there are cracks on the rest of the screen.

They are sending me a refurb so the offer is still available.

Does this cover water damage? Or just cracked screens?

From what I've read, it's anything, as long as you bought it from Google Play.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Is this why all 6 options of the Nexus 5 are out of stock on Google Play? They have to withhold them as replacements.
    HTC Inspire 4G - retired
    HTC One X+ (HOX+) - retired
    LG G2

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

It was a joke...
    HTC Inspire 4G - retired
    HTC One X+ (HOX+) - retired
    LG G2

They replaced mine a few months ago after mine was dropping LTE. They put a hold on my credit card, shipped me the new one with a return label and i sent the old one back right away. They removed the charge before they even got the phone back. Didn't cost me a penny. Awesome service!
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by theduder View Post
    I just called this morning on mine. Dropped out of my jacket pocket and fell about 1.5ft onto brick sidewalk. Bottom corner is broken glass and there are cracks on the rest of the screen.

They are sending me a refurb so the offer is still available.

Almost the same exact thing happened to me and they said they couldn't help me.
    Nexus 6 - Unlocked bootloader - Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Samsung Chromebook - Chrome OS - Ubuntu dual boot

Previous:
    Nexus 5 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Nexus 4 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G - Unlocked Bootloader - Rooted - GB ASOP

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticPsychotic View Post
    Almost the same exact thing happened to me and they said they couldn't help me.
    That sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

Here's the TL;DR.
    My wife dropped her N5 and destroyed the screen. I just got off the phone with Google support and they are sending us a replacement.

The Full Details
    Here are a few details of how my call went for those curious. I started the call by saying that I had purchased 2 N5's from the Play store and that my wife had dropped hers and shattered the screen. The rep confirmed my account information. I told the rep that I had heard that Google was offering to replace phones and I wanted to see if that was true. I also told the rep that I wanted to see what my options were regardless of the promotion. He placed me on hold. A few minutes later, he came back and told me that he had to transfer me because he was having problems with his computer. No big deal.

The second Google rep had to confirm my info a second time and I explained what was going on. He told me that Google reviews issues like these on a case by case basis and that often they refer people to the manufacturer. However, he said that he was going to see what he could do for me. I was placed on hold for a few minutes. He returned and said that he was able to get us a replacement. Awesome. Within a few minutes I received an email with instructions, I ordered the replacement (with FREE next day shipping!), my account has a hold on it and I should be seeing the phone on Monday or Tuesday.

Seeing that not everyone has had success, I would say that it depends on who you are talking to. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to try a second time and see if you can speak to a different rep. Also, I would highly suggest being super friendly as I think that may have helped in my case instead of demanding a replacement because I read it on the internet. Good luck to everyone!
    Shilohcane likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast