Google Play services outage, RPC:S-7:AEC-0 error

chris.moses

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Putting this here to hopefully save someone else the trouble I went through. Starting yesterday morning (9/3/2014) my Nexus 5 was unable to download any updates or new installs from the Play Store. When I tried I got the error, "...could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC-0]).

Reboots didn't help, so I looked on the interwebs and found a number of posts that listed some options for fixes. These included clearing cache on the Play Store and Framework, removing the gmail account and re-adding it to the phone, and doing a full factory reset.

NONE of these options worked. Yes, I even did a full factory reset/format from recovery mode. Same error, unable to download or install anything. Called Google support this morning and was informed that this is a known issue that started yesterday morning with some accounts. It's on their end, so there's nothing that can be done to fix it from the user side. They're working on it and consider it a major outage, no ETA for a resolution.

If you're having this issue, I'd recommend calling Google to make sure your account is on the list, but don't do anything to your phone, it won't resolve the issue.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Putting this here to hopefully save someone else the trouble I went through. Starting yesterday morning (9/3/2014) my Nexus 5 was unable to download any updates or new installs from the Play Store. When I tried I got the error, "...could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC-0]).

Reboots didn't help, so I looked on the interwebs and found a number of posts that listed some options for fixes. These included clearing cache on the Play Store and Framework, removing the gmail account and re-adding it to the phone, and doing a full factory reset.

NONE of these options worked. Yes, I even did a full factory reset/format from recovery mode. Same error, unable to download or install anything. Called Google support this morning and was informed that this is a known issue that started yesterday morning with some accounts. It's on their end, so there's nothing that can be done to fix it from the user side. They're working on it and consider it a major outage, no ETA for a resolution.

If you're having this issue, I'd recommend calling Google to make sure your account is on the list, but don't do anything to your phone, it won't resolve the issue.

Thank you for post this information Sir.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That happened to me once because I kept clearing the google services framework. If you log out of your google account and log back in it should work again

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

chris.moses

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
No, it won't. I tried not only that but a FULL factory reset. Google support confirmed that it's a problem on their end and nothing I do would solve it.

Doing more research, this is definitely gmail account related. I get the same error on my Nexus 10, although my wife's gmail account on the SAME tablet is able to install and update apps normally.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoxElite

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

I created an account just to say thanks for the info, it's been doing my head in all day, i've tried everything, at least I now know it's an issue on Googles end.

consumersauto

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, although Google just said they would check into it and email me back. I noticed when I log in to the play store in a browser it won't show my apps there either. I did a full reset as well. Hope they get on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

batpot

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody know how I can update play services? i rolled it back stupidly, and now lots of apps are effed up.
tried a browser and it never installs.

btw, having this issue on a rooted galaxy s4.

Last edited:

BamDiggity

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
All app downloads are broken for certain accounts. Once they resolve the issue, your app update will be able to complete. To get around this for now I removed the account with the problem from my device and I was able to update the app again using another google account. Then I added my other account back to my device. This should do the trick for you but your mileage may vary.

batpot

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I wiped, and started new....now I'm missing apps like Voice, and like OP, still no workie.

But...I used another google acct, and I can dl again.
I swear I tried that before the wipe and it didn't work; wish I hadn't lost everything...ah well.

katzora

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Gosh - I'm so glad I'm not the only one ... I completely freaked out yesterday - reset my main tablet half a dozen times (almost useless now w/o any of my main apps), only then tried out my other Android devices and finally play.google.com - only to find out it doens't work at all anymore.

Google's European helpdesk in Ireland wasn't utterly helpful but at least they called back and later sent an email that they look into it ...

Hope this doesn't last too long ...

Haste75

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks OP, I'm having this issue too.

I dont want to wipe my device, but I have cleared all the data from playstore and add/removed my goolge account. It's still not working. I am using the HTC ONe if that helps.

There's a lot of fixes out there but they are for a differnt error code - no one else seems to have RPC:S-7, its all RPC:S-5.

BeLikeWata

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm going through the exact same thing with my HTC M8. Cleared App settings, removed accounts, Factory reset, Hard Factory Reset. None worked. Problem seems to be linked to the google account you use. If I log in with an alternate google account, I'm able to install/update apps. But if I use my main google account, I will get the titled error message. Even after restoring from a cloud backup, the previously purchased apps don't recognize you had already paid (since I assume the app can't verify with the google services).

This is hell....

BamDiggity

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone actually read previous posts before posting? This is a problem on the server side at google. All the posts about clearing the cache aren't going to help you. If you wiped the device before getting to this page, then use another google account to login and download/update the necessary apps until they have resolved the issue.

dennybacon801

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this issue for longer than a week. I tried all the standard solutions but nothing.
Can you give me Google's contact number please?
Thanks

tonywattsedu

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Please, nobody full wipe just yet. It is a known issue that is currently being escalated and analyzed as quickly as possible. Tickets are being filed left and right and is a much different issue than anything you see online prior to August 2014. Remember that if you wipe the phone, once you add your account on startup you will not be able to install all the apps you would normally install because it cannot access your Google account to sync the Store via Services. Just hold tight and know that the guys are on it. If you can contact Play customer support, please do so and have them file a ticket. The more tickets the more resources and focus. It has been happening to me since 8/30 and I have contacted people through standard Play customer support and also internal Google Play support and filed tickets and bug reports for both.

batpot

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
One thread I found suggested fixing expired CC in Wallet...wasn't my problem, but I messed around there anyway, and deleted a card.

This is troubling because it's been days w/out resolution, and only affects certain users.
There must be something we have in common...

The tech that contacted me said it's a known issue with a number of users, and they're working on it, but I couldn't help but notice it seemed to be nothing but lip service when he asked me download some bug report app from the store...DUH.

chris.moses

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Update, I was just able to install several apps. Might be worth checking on your services. I'm not sure it knows which apps I've purchased though.