How do they know my N5 isn't from the Google Play store? Can I get around this?

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I thought all Nexus 5's were created equal. Apparently I was wrong.
nex5-play.png
I got a used Nexus 5 that was from T-Mobile. I wanted to sign up with Ting, which says they support the Nexus 5, (ting.com/shop/nexus5) but apparently that's only if you got it from the Google Play store (or Sprint, I think). Since mine was from T-Mobile, I can't sign up. AUGH.

How do they know? And more importantly, is this an actual technical limitation, or is there some way to trick them into thinking I've got a Google Play phone?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
How do they know? And more importantly, is this an actual technical limitation, or is there some way to trick them into thinking I've got a Google Play phone?

Well, I guess they could reference the IMEI/serial numbers.... I would assume that they know which Nexus phones went where. But I'm not sure what the issue is.... A Nexus on T-Mobile is identical to a Nexus on any other carrier, or the one you get from Google Play for that matter.

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Must be a restriction that Ting put in, based on the IMEI/ESN - to prevent on-contract (or stolen) devices from being activated with Ting (that uses Sprint's network).

Yah, must be. But I don't know why they would just globally ban all IMEIs from any phone except from Sprint or Google. Why limit your customers like that? It's certainly not winning them or Sprint any good will.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
They are on Sprint's network after all, and want Sprint to make more money (not T-mo) :)
They would be happy to sell you a Sprint branded phone.

(I agree with your thought though - monthly revenue should be the focus, not just the device revenue)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
They are on Sprint's network after all, and want Sprint to make more money (not T-mo) :)
They would be happy to sell you a Sprint branded phone.

(I agree with your thought though - monthly revenue should be the focus, not just the device revenue)

Well this is a Bring Your Own Device plan anyway--none of the carriers are making money, I bought it used. Also, I think that Sprint loses money on the Nexus 5, that's part of why they have to sell it for more than the price in the Google Play store. And also, they allow you to use phones bought through Google Play, so it can't just be a "buy it from us" deal anyway.

There must be some actual technical or legal reason, because none of this makes sense.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well this is a Bring Your Own Device plan anyway--none of the carriers are making money, I bought it used. Also, I think that Sprint loses money on the Nexus 5, that's part of why they have to sell it for more than the price in the Google Play store. And also, they allow you to use phones bought through Google Play, so it can't just be a "buy it from us" deal anyway.

There must be some actual technical or legal reason, because none of this makes sense.

have you actually tried to activate it on Ting? I got my Nexus 5 from the play store and originally used it on Sprint.... and then I moved it over to T-Mobile.. At first it didn't work at all on T-Mobile and required a factory reset and then it worked perfect on T-Mobile.

Because the phones should be exactly the same no matter if you bought it from Google, T-Mobile or Sprint (as mentioned above by someone else) the device is exactly the same in every way shape and form.... I know at launch my Google play device was a BIOTCH to activate on Sprint.. it took 48 hours to do it originally... It was an issue with the IMEI/ESN for the 32 gig model not being loaded in the Sprint Data Base... had to get their technical support people to load that number into their system and then it activated right away...

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
have you actually tried to activate it on Ting? I got my Nexus 5 from the play store and originally used it on Sprint.... and then I moved it over to T-Mobile.. At first it didn't work at all on T-Mobile and required a factory reset and then it worked perfect on T-Mobile.

Because the phones should be exactly the same no matter if you bought it from Google, T-Mobile or Sprint (as mentioned above by someone else) the device is exactly the same in every way shape and form.... I know at launch my Google play device was a BIOTCH to activate on Sprint.. it took 48 hours to do it originally... It was an issue with the IMEI/ESN for the 32 gig model not being loaded in the Sprint Data Base... had to get their technical support people to load that number into their system and then it activated right away...

No, I just ran the IMEI through their BYOD page. It said this when I entered the IMEI:
That's not an ESN we recognize.
If it's a Sprint device, then it's probably a typo.
If it's not Sprint, then we can't activate it.

Also their info says

You can bring most used, inactive Sprint® devices to Ting.

Devices from other carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Boost, Virgin, etc.) are not compatible with the Ting network. We can help you trade for a device that is though.

It seems that Nexus 5 is the exception to the above rule, since it says that you can buy it from the Google Play store and it doesn't have to have been a sprint phone. Yet it specifically blocks my IMEI. I wonder if I can get Sprint to add it to their Database for me if I call customer support.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I can get Sprint to add it to their Database for me if I call customer support.

I'd call their customer support and ask... sounds completely stupid just because there is no difference... It has all the radio's to work on just about any network but Verizon..... I took my from the play store to Sprint and Now T-Mobile.... but as mentioned before it took two days to get it activated because the ESN/IMEI was not in the Sprint Database.. I had to talk to Technical Support and they had to open a ticket to have the IMEI/ESN added to their system and only THEN could I activate on Sprint.... T-Mobile a factory reset and plugged in the SIM card and I was up and running without a hitch...

Good luck!!!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If it's a 32 GB model, try leaving the last digit off when you type it in the BYOD page. Apparently that solves a lot of the Sprint problems with the N5.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the underlying problem is sprint. Sprint in their infinite wisdom won't accept phones not already in their database. For whatever reason nexus 5s sold through any source other than Google or sprint are not entered into the database. Apparently it is a PITA do get sprint to do anything about it.

Check out this thread:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/mo...ssion?content=/api/core/v2/discussions/150262

Posted via the Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I believe Google, Sprint, and Ting share a database that has information on whether a particular Nexus 5 was bought in the Play store or not. That is how they know.

Ting and Sprint have an agreement on what can and cannot be used on the network. Ting is obligated to enforce the restrictions if they want to continue using Sprint's network.

I'm sure if Sprint updated its internal database to put all Nexus 5 phones on the list of eligible devices, that would solve the problem. However, I don't think Sprint will update its policy. There's no technical limitation. It's just Sprint being stubborn.

It's probably better if you sell your Nexus 5 and get one from the Play store to use on Ting. You could also just use your current Nexus 5 on T-Mobile (or maybe on AT&T). I don't think there's a trick you can do to outwit the system to let you use your current phone on Ting.

Just to clarify, Ting won't even activate Nexus 5 phones from Sprint, according to their help center (website link here):

"Currently the only Nexus 5 devices that can make the leap to Ting are ones purchased from the Google Play Store. Devices purchased from Sprint®, Amazon, Best Buy cannot be brought over to Ting."

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the underlying problem is sprint. Sprint in their infinite wisdom won't accept phones not already in their database. For whatever reason nexus 5s sold through any source other than Google or sprint are not entered into the database. Apparently it is a PITA do get sprint to do anything about it.

Check out this thread:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/mo...ssion?content=/api/core/v2/discussions/150262

That thread is absolutely hilarious. What a collection of clowns. Why anyone would put up with this to join SPRINT of all carries is beyond me!

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
That thread is absolutely hilarious. What a collection of clowns. Why anyone would put up with this to join SPRINT of all carries is beyond me!

Yeah it's amazing. For every sprint employee who seems to understand the problem and is trying to help, 3 or 4 jump in who are absolutely f'n clueless. Almost eye watering. Unfortunately my experience with other carriers isn't much better.