Will Google Improve The Nexus 5's Camera Further?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has had a rough reputation when it comes to photography, in my opinion it has always taken great photos and Google addressed most issues related to speed.

However having used the Nexus for quite a while now, I just wish that is we're a bit faster. What I mean is that the camera constantly refocuses and there is a few seconds of delay from when you press the shutter and when the phone takes the photo.

And the shutter speed isn't my biggest concern, it's the focusing. This phone is capable of great photos but if you are often in a hurry it's going to blur.

I took this photo on the the road the other day and when the camera app opened it blurred, while I could've simply fixed it with a tap to focus the camera software itself was slow to focus and simply took the blurred shot.

1410371323677.jpg

I often find myself correcting the focus by tapping on certain parts of the screen, or keeping the phone stable until it becomes clear, and the focus in video is even worse. If you start taking a video and the viewfinder in video was blurred, it simply doesn't want to refocus when video is recording(you can't correct this by tapping the screen).

Google promised more improvements in speed and focusing after the Android 4.4.1 update.

1410370958718.jpg

They are completing the first half of that equation. Android L will feature an 8 MP burst mode at 30 FPS:

Android "L" Feature Spotlight: New Camera API Enables Burst Mode, Thorough Control Over Photos, And Much More

This phone can take great images but most of them are taken when you aren't in a hurry and let the camera properly focus.

1410371530738.jpg
1410371551225.jpg
1410371541907.jpg

Do you think that Google will uphold its promise about improving focus or no?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although quick focus right when aiming for a shot would certainly be nice, realistically it's not much different from dedicated point & shoot cameras that I've had (good ones from Panasonic and Nikon). If I use one of those cameras and take a quick shot without letting it focus, it's more often than not blurry. So when I take a shot with my Nexus 5, it's second nature to tap the screen quickly to start the focus process, then snap the shot soon after. I can do it pretty quickly.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Although quick focus right when aiming for a shot would certainly be nice, realistically it's not much different from dedicated point & shoot cameras that I've had (good ones from Panasonic and Nikon). If I use one of those cameras and take a quick shot without letting it focus, it's more often than not blurry. So when I take a shot with my Nexus 5, it's second nature to tap the screen quickly to start the focus process, then snap the shot soon after. I can do it pretty quickly.

But the thing is that the camera is perfectly capable of achieving focus, it just needs a push(by tapping the screen). The necessary hardware is there but seems like Google's software just doesn't handle the camera all that well.

Some people like Marques Brownlee(one of the best tech reviewers IMO) said in his Nexus 6 wish list video that Google needed to improve the camera software because there are other phones with a camera sensor similar to Nexus 5 and they take better photos.

I used AOSP camera on Cyanogenmod for a day or two and jt achieved focus much much faster than Google Camera on Stock. I managed to take this stable photo while the wind was blowing with the AOSP camera. :D

1410452957858.jpg

I really hope that Google improves focusing in Android L.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^If it's any consolation to you, I've occasionally had wrong-focus shots from that Emperor of Camera Phones, the Nokia Lumia 1020, and also from my LG G3, which sports an infra-red laser focus assist. Even smartphones make misteaks.☺

Posted via Android Central App

Ray Adams

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
^^^If it's any consolation to you, I've occasionally had wrong-focus shots from that Emperor of Camera Phones, the Nokia Lumia 1020, and also from my LG G3, which sports an infra-red laser focus assist. Even smartphones make misteaks.☺

You right, but Nexus 5 make more mistakes than other phones. I also got a lot of unfocused pictures with N5 and now I just always taping on screen to focus before make the shot. I do not think Google will do anything with it as I do not believe that Google cares about it at all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I must disagree. (A) I rarely get blurry shots, and (B) I believe Google would care if the problem were widespread, with a groundswell of complaints. But as it stands, the complaints are relatively sporadic--you don't see many on this forum, or on the various G+ Nexus 5 communities. To the contrary, I see quite a number of posts extolling the virtues of the camera.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I do think the camera on the N5 requires a little more patience. However, the picture quality, especially with true HDR, is fantastic.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
You right, but Nexus 5 make more mistakes than other phones. I also got a lot of unfocused pictures with N5 and now I just always taping on screen to focus before make the shot. I do not think Google will do anything with it as I do not believe that Google cares about it at all.

Actually Google does care, that's why we got the Android 4.4.1 update.

The camera is definitely capable of taking photos and it's not like all of my photos are blurred.

But the camera is definitely capable of focusing faster, I've seen it happen much faster on the AOSP camera on Cyanogenmod.

However the focus can be pretty hit or miss in lowlight, when it does achieve focus it takes some pretty amazing photos in all conditions.

Sorry, but I must disagree. (A) I rarely get blurry shots, and (B) I believe Google would care if the problem were widespread, with a groundswell of complaints. But as it stands, the complaints are relatively sporadic--you don't see many on this forum, or on the various G+ Nexus 5 communities. To the contrary, I see quite a number of posts extolling the virtues of the camera.

I've continually uploaded photos just to prove to people that focus isn't terrible, but could be improved slightly.

Google acknowledged that there was still a lot left to be done even after their Android 4.4.1, since then they've improved the camera experience (Google Camera) however they haven't offered any more Nexus 5 camera updates.

Hopefully they will when Android L arrives.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The question is not can Google improve the camera, it is, does it make sense (financially) for Google to invest the resources in an older phone..

I actually have a sense the actual sensor is decent to possibly good, but there is something maybe software holding it back.

Dan

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sure they'll improve it...If we know Google the N6 will have the N5's camera with "New" and improved Software... ;)

Posted via Serenity

neodoru

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, they can only do so much, you know. The fact that the company who manufactures the nexus devices also competes with them, is a pretty awkward situation.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand op's frustration, but must honestly say I've never had a bad shot on my Nexie. Yes, gifts could be a tad quicker, but that's all.

Posted via the Android Central App

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
HDR mode gets me good pictures but I'd like it to take them faster. Overall I'm happy with the camera. I'd never say no to updates though :)

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I understand op's frustration, but must honestly say I've never had a bad shot on my Nexie. Yes, gifts could be a tad quicker, but that's all.

I'm not frustrated, camera is amazing but I just want it to be a tad faster.

HDR mode gets me good pictures but I'd like it to take them faster. Overall I'm happy with the camera. I'd never say no to updates though :)

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Haha same.

Ray Adams

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

Rarely does not mean never! I am getting blurry shot a lot of times as I am trying to catch the moment as fast as possible. You guys just do not want to accept that Nexus 5 does not have excellent camera and android on it has awful camera app :)
Google cares? :) I do not think. The whole android is shows HOW google cares about it.
sorry for a little off-topic.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There aren't many phone cameras out there that are very good at capturing fast action shots. My wife's previous iPhone 4S took terrible blurry action shots.

Anyway, I could show you a lot of excellent photos I've taken with my Nexus 5, but it probably wouldn't change your mind.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I never understood the bad rap on the camera. I've only had my nexus 5 for 3 months but I've been perfectly satisfied with the camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21