Back to Android from Windows Phone - Nexus 4 currently, considering Nexus 5 now!

Nexus 4 to Nexus 5 - Your Opinion?

• Total voters

NAMISH

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been jumping around on platforms since I started using smartphones. Call me crazy, but I actually love each individual operating system despite their weaknesses - yes, each one has them. And now, after having used the Lumia 920 for almost a full year and then having moved to Lumia 1520 back in June, 2014... I made the decision to sell my Lumia 1520 and switch to Android kind of suddenly.

It all happened after my wife's really outdated phone died out. Since I was a little strung out for cash at the moment, I decided to sell off my Lumia 1520 and get both of us new phones that could essentially be purchased without adding more dough to the mix.

The Lumia 1520 was easily sold off for PKR 38,000/- (Approx. $380), which was a really good price for it. (It was under warranty thus why it was sold off with ease). I purchased a slightly used Lumia 925 along with a new Lumia 530 from the same shop. Once I returned home, I was somewhat disappointed by the 530. It's size, and the limitation of 512 mb ram did stand out quite a bit. And as fate would have it, the back cover of the Lumia 925 started squeaking... (i.e. apparently the phone was refurbished and I was led to believe otherwise)

I returned back to the shop, returned both phones and after much deliberation, ended up getting a Nexus 4 for myself and an HTC Desire 500 for my wife. She loved her phone, and I'm totally in love with my Nexus!!! (Both were slightly used, thus i was able to get them by adding only a little more money)

I can't believe how much i'm enjoying Nexus 4 right now. I don't play that many games, but the ones that I do have installed and have tried, don't lag. The overall system performs flawlessly - my days with the Galaxy S3 when it was first released are a bit of sore point when it comes to Android with multiple performance issues.

I understand why people rave about stock android! Plus, KitKat has really smoothed things out a lot.

Anyways... I'm expecting my salary within the next day or two. I'm considering handing my Nexus 4 to my wife and switching the Desire 500 with a (used) Nexus 5 device after paying the difference. I'm extremely satisfied with the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 5 does appeal to me.

For those here that moved from Nexus 4 to Nexus 5... how are you finding the newer model? Based off of specs, the biggest improvement is screen resolution. Is there anything else potentially worthy to consider? (Performance on Nexus 4 on KitKat is exceptional as is, and rumors are that Android L will hit Nexus 4 too)

What would you recommend? I also have the same option of getting an HTC One for the same price as a Nexus 5. I'm a little hesitant about that, but you have to admit, it's kinda gorgeous! :)

Regards.
Salman Khalid.

Last edited:

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Why not just wait to see what the next nexus has to offer? They should be announcing it fairly soon. If it's not for you than I'm sure that you could find a used N5 for a decent price since quite a few users would be upgrading.

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd choose the Nexus 5 over the HTC One, for stock Android, and for updates. Why don't you wait to see if the next Nexus is announced? Even if you still want a Nexus 5 at that time, after the next one is announced, the Nexus 5 will probably cost less. You might be able to buy a new one from the Google Play store if there's a sale.

NAMISH

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd choose the Nexus 5 over the HTC One, for stock Android, and for updates. Why don't you wait to see if the next Nexus is announced? Even if you still want a Nexus 5 at that time, after the next one is announced, the Nexus 5 will probably cost less. You might be able to buy a new one from the Google Play store if there's a sale.

No direct purchase from the play store here in Pakistan. In fact, nexus 6 won't come at its actual price down here but at a heftier one.

My rush is that I have a week's worth of time before I can make the switch by returning the desire or nexus 4 at the same price I got it for. After that, he'll adjust it at a discounted rate... :)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I loved my N4 which I gave to my Dad, but I'd say the N5 is a fairly significant upgrade. Most notibly in my experience is the screen (brightness/colors/etc over PPI), the bottom mounted spreaker rather than rear, and most definitely the OIS camera. That said, I'd definitely just enjoy the N4 until the N6 comes out. Even if it's a while until it gets to Pakistan you will be getting Android L on your N4 which should bring even better battery and will likely make it feel like a new phone (being a major OS update). Good luck!

NAMISH

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I loved my N4 which I gave to my Dad, but I'd say the N5 is a fairly significant upgrade. Most notibly in my experience is the screen (brightness/colors/etc over PPI), the bottom mounted spreaker rather than rear, and most definitely the OIS camera. That said, I'd definitely just enjoy the N4 until the N6 comes out. Even if it's a while until it gets to Pakistan you will be getting Android L on your N4 which should bring even better battery and will likely make it feel like a new phone (being a major OS update). Good luck!

Thanks!! I'm seriously considering that, as so far, the Nexus 4 hasn't disappointed. Exceptional performance...! (My biggest disappointment is the Camera, considering I cam to it from the Lumia 920 and then the 1520, but it's not that bad either)

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No direct purchase from the play store here in Pakistan. In fact, nexus 6 won't come at its actual price down here but at a heftier one.

My rush is that I have a week's worth of time before I can make the switch by returning the desire or nexus 4 at the same price I got it for. After that, he'll adjust it at a discounted rate... :)

Oh, got it. Sorry about that. Still go for the Nexus 5 if you can.

Ray Adams

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I was on Windows Phone for a long time. Mostly because I am developer for WP. The last phone was 1520, but the lack of applications turned me from WP. I bought Nexus 5 as I like to receive last updates directly from Google without waiting for lazy dev's in other vendors.

What can say ? I like N5, it is as smooth as WP or iOS, has more than WP in terms of apps. Not bad camera, although even Lumia 920 has better camera, but I can live with that. Battery live, if comparing to 1520 - awful. But what can you expect from smartphone if you are going to use it whole day? I am using navigation whole day, I do not think there are any other smartphones that can last longer for a whole day of using navigation !

I used to use Nexus 4 on my job as developer device, it is not bad, but Nexus 5 is far behind it. So if you can easily switch to it, do it.
Or wait for the next Nexus, but do not expect it will cost same price as current N5!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2