Father's nexus 5 was completely dead in the morning.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My mother called me yesterday morning saying that his phone would not turn on. It just showed a lighting battery. It was around 90% the night before and suddenly rapid battery drain.

My mother was angry. I then plugged it in even after doing that cache wipe thing. Also the device is set to ART.

Now mine also set to ART was at 100% charge and 2 hours layer of was down to 96% I then rebooted it before I left the house. If I did not check it I would have to lug around a charger to.

There is no reason for this sudden rapid battery drain. I disabled every service possible but just like that it suddenly sucks battery life like water no reason and a reboot only fixes it.

Also my mother and fathers nexus 5 they don't know how to reboot there devices even though I showed then they are technically challenged.

Yes I have to say this since someone will mention it none of our devices have Facebook app installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sudden battery drain is usually due to some misbehaving app, but obviously the challenge is to figure out which one. I've see this happen on my Nexus 7, and which I have attributed to certain live wallpapers that have network access, but I can't be sure.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, or does 4% in 2 hours not seem to bad - especially if it was backing up photos or performing some other task...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me, or does 4% in 2 hours not seem to bad - especially if it was backing up photos or performing some other task...

Yes, but I think the OP was primarily concerned about the mother's phone that drained from 90% to presumably 0% overnight.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My phone after rebooting it the other day was still draining quicker then before. I had about 74% battery and after about 6 hours of doing nothing it was down to about 68%. I since cleared the partition cache and rebooted it again and now in only 4 1/2 hours it only went down to 2%. I notice that this all starts whenever they update the Google Play services.

Also B.Diddy you mention that you have this problem on your Nexus 7 (2013) but the Nexus 7 rarely if ever starts to rapidly drain the battery. I usually don't have to reboot it for weeks and I just do it anyway just to refresh the device. I also rarely if ever have to clear the partition cache.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, actually I was referring to my 2012 N7 (I have both generations). You're probably right--I don't recall my 2013 version draining quickly, but I've definitely seen it happen with my 2012. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci