Nexus 5 Battery Bad?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I wonder why people say the N5 has bad battery life. I just did a test on a normal use day:

Took phone off charger at 530am and just put on charger at 620pm. No top ups. Had 4% left after 13 hours. There was about 4h15m of screen time. On WiFi 80% of the time but moving around a lot. A lot of switching between WiFi and LTE. NFC running the whole time. Screen on auto detect so no low screen brightness. Only 15 minutes on the phone, but pretty frequent/moderate use.

Not sure I'd expect more from any phone. Should I be disappointed?

Posted via the Android Central App

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you should be disappointed if that's fine for you. Coming from a nexus 4 my nexus 5 battery was great, but compared to other phones it's just ok. For example when I had my nexus 5 I took it off charger at 6am and by 3pm I'd have to plug it in (that's not on WiFi and I'm a heavy user). Same use case with my g3 I take it off at 6am and when I get home around 315 I still have 50% battery left. I think any battery is fine if it works with your life.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you should be disappointed if that's fine for you. Coming from a nexus 4 my nexus 5 battery was great, but compared to other phones it's just ok. For example when I had my nexus 5 I took it off charger at 6am and by 3pm I'd have to plug it in (that's not on WiFi and I'm a heavy user). Same use case with my g3 I take it off at 6am and when I get home around 315 I still have 50% battery left. I think any battery is fine if it works with your life.

OK. Funny no one complains about the M8 battery, but mine is worse than my N5.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on what you come from. If you went from something Like a g2 to a nexus 5 you'd be disappointed but like I said coming from my nexus 4, the battery on the 5 was amazing. Never used an HTC one. I say enjoy what you have if it's working well for you.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I don't understand how people are getting such bad battery life.

Being rooted, I easily get over 7 hours SOT.

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Id be okay with that battery time. I really want a Nexus 5. So battery life isn't as important to me.
Right now my LG Volt has been off the charger for 14.5 hours, with a screen on time of 4.5 hours, and I have 40 percent battery left.
Wish they'd put that battery in a Nexus.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I agree, I don't understand how people are getting such bad battery life.

Being rooted, I easily get over 7 hours SOT.

I don't see how the N5 could get 7 hours SOT... Does being rooted make that much of a difference? I'm stock and on my best day I get 4 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how the N5 could get 7 hours SOT... Does being rooted make that much of a difference? I'm stock and on my best day I get 4 hours.

That is a lie. He would have to post a ton of screen shots to prove that.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Underclocked and undervolted that is. Min speed - 0.3GHz, max speed - 1.2GHz, max speed (screen off) - 0.7GHz and volted -62.5mV. GPU is underclocked to 389MHz too. I have yet to experience any lag or stutter.

That is a lie. He would have to post a ton of screen shots to prove that.

Why, because it's good? I can't post a screenshot today as I've been attempting to get the voltages even lower... I'll see tomorrow.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That is extremely interesting , p3ntyne...extremely interesting. Please tell us a great deal more when you have time. Is it easy to set up this underclocking and undervolting?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
That is extremely interesting , p3ntyne...extremely interesting. Please tell us a great deal more when you have time. Is it easy to set up this underclocking and undervolting?

+1. If I could get 7 hours SOT out of my nexus I would have nothing to complain about. The phone would be perfect.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
im very satisfied with the battery life, with tons of apps running (including notifications and syncing), a lot of texting, some web browsing, some gaming (5-10 mins) and a few videos i get a full 20-24 hrs off charge. I have found that the most menacing battery drainer for this device is Cell Standby, more specifically "time without signal" severly eats at the battery. Otherwise, the battery is much better than publicized in my situation.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone heard of a cell phone Power Bank charger? I have giving these as gifts to about 10 of my friends that love them. They can the keep the Power Bank with them or in their car. They work well with my Nexus 5 and every other phone we have tried. I have a friend that has a LG G3 that has a huge Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery but he plays games on his phone and by the end work it is low on power by 6PM. So he uses the Power Bank and gets a boost. I have given a couple of them to cute female bar tenders and got many free drinks ever since. These things are about the size of a pack of cigarettes and they even make much smaller ones that will hide in your pocket. All you have to do is give it a jump boost during the afternoon and it is good to go.

12000mAh Double USB Portable External Battery Power Bank Charger For Cell Phone

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Sorry for the late reply.

To answer your question, it is easy to set it up. In my case, I flashed the elementalx kernel and used the app, Trickster Mod, to change the clock speed and voltage settings.

BTW, I am trying to post a battery screenshot however, I am dealing with some unexpected Google Play Services battery drain - I'm only getting about 5 hours SOT.

These are my settings:

c75acfed49166aac8e3c4c5e41adc9f6.jpg
e2d261308686b8949afa4949c6658d47.jpg

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

To answer your question, it is easy to set it up. In my case, I flashed the elementalx kernel and used the app, Trickster Mod, to change the clock speed and voltage settings.

BTW, I am trying to post a battery screenshot however, I am dealing with some unexpected Google Play Services battery drain - I'm only getting about 5 hours SOT.

These are my settings:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/08/c75acfed49166aac8e3c4c5e41adc9f6.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/08/e2d261308686b8949afa4949c6658d47.jpg

Seems you're also running L?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

These are my settings:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/08/c75acfed49166aac8e3c4c5e41adc9f6.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/08/e2d261308686b8949afa4949c6658d47.jpg

Extremely many thanks. All this is new to me and I shall be looking into it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers