How can I uninstall Kitkat from my Nexus 5?

ted fletcher

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I am a 65 year old pensioner. I bought my wife a google nexus 5 phone for her birthday. It was great until Google without my knowledge or permission ruined it by downgrading the firmware to KITCRAP!!! She can no longer use her phone because after two years learning how to use Jelly Bean she now is faced with a completely new operating system which we didn`t ask for and don`t want. I am trying to get some good old fashioned CUSTOMER SERVICE from Google but it seems to be an alien concept to them. Consequently if they don`t contact me or do something about it I will take them to court for the cost of the ruined phone and my inconvenience. What may seem to Google to be an all singing all dancing wonder of modern technology is in fact to others a ruddy nuisance and they don't seem interested in helping either. There seems to be no way to contact them. All I can do is keep posting on forums until they notice that they have an unhappy customer and come down off their haughty perch to offer a mere customer some help. Can anyone out there???????????????????????

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
re:

?

Kitkat is an evolution of android. Mostly its behind the scene stuff which gets upgraded.

And the nexus 5 hasn't been out for two years

Could you give an example of something that has changed?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
re:

Yes, let us know what problems you are having and we'll try to help. Keep in mind that the Nexus 5 was never on Jellybean; KitKat is the only Android version released for the device.

Let us know how we can help you like KitKat and enjoy the Nexus 5.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
re:

Between the four Android devices I've owned, two tablets & two phones, I've used Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and, now, KitKat. And several launchers. TBH: I've not found switching from version-to-version particularly onerous. I am definitely liking KitKat on my phone. I switch between that and Jelly Bean on my tablet with no problem.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

I am a 65 year old pensioner. I bought my wife a google nexus 5 phone for her birthday. It was great until Google without my knowledge or permission ruined it by downgrading the firmware to KITCRAP!!! She can no longer use her phone because after two years learning how to use Jelly Bean she now is faced with a completely new operating system which we didn`t ask for and don`t want. I am trying to get some good old fashioned CUSTOMER SERVICE from Google but it seems to be an alien concept to them. Consequently if they don`t contact me or do something about it I will take them to court for the cost of the ruined phone and my inconvenience. What may seem to Google to be an all singing all dancing wonder of modern technology is in fact to others a ruddy nuisance and they don't seem interested in helping either. There seems to be no way to contact them. All I can do is keep posting on forums until they notice that they have an unhappy customer and come down off their haughty perch to offer a mere customer some help. Can anyone out there???????????????????????

You can do web chat with them for Nexus 5 support.

Posted via the Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
re:

As srkmagnus indicated, the Nexus 5 was released with Kitkat. (I'm assuming of course that you meant Kitkat, and that you didn't somehow manage to get a non-Google OS installed on your N5 that is actually called Kitcrap)

You indicated that you contacted Google customer service,and they didn't respond - How exactly did you contact them? Did you call them? Can't see how they could have avoided responding to you on a call.
If all you are doing is posting on community forums, be aware that Google has absolutely NO obligation to do anything about it. You will likely get help, as you are getting now (you could do better by being a little nicer and explain your issue, rather than rant about how Google is the devil, but that's besides the point), but NOT from Google.

BTW, when Google does release an update to the OS, it doesn't update by itself - you (or your wife) will be notified about the update, and asked whether you want to install it. No exceptions. So don't say that Google installed a "completed new operating system" "without your knowledge or permission". You (or your wife) would have received the notification, and then, intentionally and knowingly selected the option to actually install the update.

If you want to go back to previous version of kitkat, you certainly can - Google provides factory images that you can use to revert back.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a very good reply, and this part of it

(I'm assuming of course that you meant Kitkat, and that you didn't somehow manage to get a non-Google OS installed on your N5 that is actually called Kitcrap)

made me laugh out loud.

Posted via Android Central App

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
re:

(I'm assuming of course that you meant Kitkat, and that you didn't somehow manage to get a non-Google OS installed on your N5 that is actually called Kitcrap)
rofl.gif

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
re:

I am a 65 year old pensioner. I bought my wife a google nexus 5 phone for her birthday. It was great until Google without my knowledge or permission ruined it by downgrading the firmware to KITCRAP!!!

You were presented with a dialog telling you that you could update, and given a choice to do so or not.

She can no longer use her phone because after two years learning how to use Jelly Bean she now is faced with a completely new operating system which we didn`t ask for and don`t want.

As mentioned, your phone came with KitKat already installed. The Nexus 5 is not two years old, either.

I am trying to get some good old fashioned CUSTOMER SERVICE from Google but it seems to be an alien concept to them.

Yes, anything old fashioned is an alien concept to Google.

Consequently if they don`t contact me or do something about it I will take them to court for the cost of the ruined phone and my inconvenience.

For what? Your phone is not ruined. You being inconvenienced is worth exactly zero dollars, or Euros, or BPS, or shillings or whatever currency you use.

What may seem to Google to be an all singing all dancing wonder of modern technology is in fact to others a ruddy nuisance and they don't seem interested in helping either. There seems to be no way to contact them.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3053039?hl=en

All I can do is keep posting on forums until they notice that they have an unhappy customer and come down off their haughty perch to offer a mere customer some help. Can anyone out there???????????????????????

Call the closest number in the list provided at the link above.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
re:

The nexus 5 isn't even 2 years old. If you explain what issues you're supposedly having, maybe others could help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

Don't you dare take my precious Google to court. It's already bad enough Google is being sued for a [language] 100 million over Apple's unsecured i[language]Cloud. Seriously, the majority of those celebs were C-list celebrities and they will rack in more money from this lawsuit than what they would make in a decade of work.

Fight me, Ted.

Last edited by a moderator:

E Murray

May 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

What I find funny is that the OP thinks someone at Google pours over every smartphone forum on the web... And upon finding his 3 trillion posts will leap to his aid to protect Google reputation.
If nothing else this post had good entertainment value :)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
re:

I think you should get a full refund on the condition that you sign a binding agreement to never buy another Android device. I'm a lot older than you but I went from 4.2 to 4.4 with any problem whatsoever. I'm also not an obnoxious twit.

So, promise Google you'll never use Android again and perhaps you'll get your money back.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
re:

Dont worry ted your not alone half these Android fan boys preach on about how it's Linux on there Android device yet few of them are even coders...!

And fewer still manage THEIR spelling ...
BTW, my mother tongue is german, but even I recognize something like that.
So take this as a friendly word of advice: before yapping about how others know so little about something, better clean your own house first. And as you are such a cool programming wizard, you might wanna start using a spell checker to "parse your prose" so to speak.

my 2 Euro-cents.

BTT: Android moves on. That is good. If you don't want an update, don't update. That is easy.
Good and easy, what else could one ask for?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
re:

Ja, dank!
"blah blah"

Good thing - you have a choice! Don't use Microsoft or Google products. Stick with pure unadultrated Unix. Stay off the internet, lest somebody flushes the toilet that the internet is supposedly going down.

Yes, there are issues with how the govt snoops/monitors. Given the current state of the world, it doesn't seem avoidable (without other consequences). If you are not ok with it, do what you must to stay 'safe'. All the very best.

What exactly does your rant have to do with the Android update to 4.4.4??