Hangouts??

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
First of all I generally love the new Hangouts/Voice integration (finally). I often work in concrete bunker office buildings with poor reception other than WiFi so it's clutch. So what happened that I can no longer click the green hangout icon (for another Hangouts user) in the left side of the text field and change from Hangouts to SMS?! I'm almost positive after the initial integration with Voice I could select from all three...send via Hangouts (if they have it), send carrier SMS, or send Voice # SMS (say for WiFi only to a non-Hangouts users cell #). That was awesome. Also when making a WiFi/data call in Hangouts, which uses my Voice # I used to have to choose if I wanted to call another Hangouts user's # or if I wanted to call their cell number (for example my lady has unlimited mins so I want to call her cell # not use her data). I have the correct settings (I think) on the g Voice website and in the Hangouts app itself. Was there another "update" that removed this functionality? Can someone confirm this is the case? I can't seem to find a decent answer searching. Thanks in advance.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You should have different tabs on the hangouts app - one for hangouts, one for sms and one for dialer (assuming you installed the hangouts dialer app)

The SMS tab will allow you to send SMS via your carrier's # or your GV # or "smart select" (where it selects the last number you communicated with that person with) - you can select that in hangouts options
The dialer tab will allow you to call regular phone#s