Samsung S5 to N5, am I crazy?

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking about picking up a N5 and selling my S5 and just wanted to do a sanity check. There are many things to love about the S5 such as the long battery life (25-30 hours) and the great camera, but I don't like Touchwiz and the Google Experience Launcher is like covering up the problem. Not to mention, I really want lollipop. I can probably make a few $$ on the trade, any thoughts?

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how much it helps but I went from an S4 to a Nexus 5 and I have absolutely no regrets. Honestly the main things that I miss are the AMOLED screen and the camera. The screen and camera aren't awful on the N5 but the ones on the S4 were nocibly better. But I also like the way the phone feels in the hand way more than the S4, and it is just so smooth and fast by comparison.

For me it might have been a little harder to give up the S5 since it's waterproofness would have been a huge selling point for me.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about picking up a N5 and selling my S5 and just wanted to do a sanity check. There are many things to love about the S5 such as the long battery life (25-30 hours) and the great camera, but I don't like Touchwiz and the Google Experience Launcher is like covering up the problem. Not to mention, I really want lollipop. I can probably make a few $$ on the trade, any thoughts?

good move. but i would get the Nexus 6 if you can.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Funny, my best friend has a galaxy s5 and we put my nexus 5 next to his s5 and he likes the screen on my nexus 5 better.. we both think the resolution on the nexus 5 is better.. says he's going to trade his s5 for the nexus also..

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 screen is going to be better from a purist stand point, because it is higher dpi, it is IPS with RGB pixel matrix, and not oversaturated. People who like the over saturated colors, good contrast, good viewing angle and deep black will prefer AMOLED. Each have their own advantages.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The reason I am looking more towards the N5 rather then the N6 is due to size. Have played with larger phones in the past but I don't know if I am ready to make the jump. Thanks for the input.

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both went from Galaxy S4's to Nexus 5's. I love the N5, my wife hated it. I always liked the Vanilla launcher, by wife can not live without Touchwiz. She has probably installed every launcher in the play store to get back features she says she lost. I just installed 5, and its great. I added Chomp for text, and FX for file management, and its great. She wants her old phone back :). Pick up the N5 with a couple of days return policy, and dont get rid of your S5 until you are sure. Gook luck

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The reason I am looking more towards the N5 rather then the N6 is due to size. Have played with larger phones in the past but I don't know if I am ready to make the jump. Thanks for the input.

go play with a Note 3/4 and an iPhone 6 Plus. if you get the Nexus 6 you might be able to sell your N7 and not have to buy/manage/charge/carry/sync/fight/fumble with 2+ devices when ONE Phablet can do it all.

good luck.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Nothing beats the nexus 5 for a pure google experience and speed. If that's what you want, go for it. The nexus 5 is still a great phone and will be future proof for a while. I wouldn't trade mine for any other phone.

Sure, the camera might not be as good, but for what I do it is good enough. And the screen looks real good to me.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both went from Galaxy S4's to Nexus 5's. I love the N5, my wife hated it. I always liked the Vanilla launcher, by wife can not live without Touchwiz. She has probably installed every launcher in the play store to get back features she says she lost. I just installed 5, and its great. I added Chomp for text, and FX for file management, and its great. She wants her old phone back :). Pick up the N5 with a couple of days return policy, and dont get rid of your S5 until you are sure. Gook luck

I thought about doing that but the used market is pretty good right now and rather save the money. I have played with an N5 and had no issues with it. Having said that, playing with a phone and owning it is two different things.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do anything for a few weeks until you've had a chance to see the Nexus 6. The S5 has better battery life than the N5 and it's other specs are the same or better so it doesn't make sense to trade an S5 for an N5. If Touchwiz is really such a problem (I wouldn't know I've only owned Nexus devices) you could fix it by rooting the S5 and installing an alterative ROM. The Nexus 6 has a QHD screen which is a significant upgrade from the S5 and N5 so it's easier to justify assuming that the size is tolerable to you. If I were you I would certainly want to look at the N6 before I did anything.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you're crazy - I just think that the grass is always greener on the other side. For instance, I had an S3 and then an S4 and longed for a Nexus 5, because I didn't love Touchwiz and wanted vanilla Android. Now that I have an N5, I sort of miss some of Touchwiz's features - the camera app is fantastic, etc. Sooooo... even with Lollipop weeks away, I've been looking at used Note 3's. So to me, and to you, I say let's forget it and enjoy what we have!

FreeFool

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you're crazy - I just think that the grass is always greener on the other side. For instance, I had an S3 and then an S4 and longed for a Nexus 5, because I didn't love Touchwiz and wanted vanilla Android. Now that I have an N5, I sort of miss some of Touchwiz's features - the camera app is fantastic, etc. Sooooo... even with Lollipop weeks away, I've been looking at used Note 3's. So to me, and to you, I say let's forget it and enjoy what we have!

Yeah, I moved from an S4 to a N5 and I find i do miss a few features, such as the pop out video player, also i found the N5 doesn't support all of my mp4's like the S4 did. I won't miss the bloatware though, much prefer stock android. I too have been looking at a Note, the Note 4 at least, the reviews seem good but i need to remind myself why i moved away from Samsung and stick with the N5 for at least the next 6 months.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I moved from an S4 to a N5 and I find i do miss a few features, such as the pop out video player, also i found the N5 doesn't support all of my mp4's like the S4 did. I won't miss the bloatware though, much prefer stock android. I too have been looking at a Note, the Note 4 at least, the reviews seem good but i need to remind myself why i moved away from Samsung and stick with the N5 for at least the next 6 months.
Check out an app called Viral on the Play Store - it has the pop out video you need!

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
To be clear I didn't mean to sound like i was knocking the N5's Screen because overall it is very, very good. The resolution is fantastic everything is very crisp and and overall it looks really nice. Mine does suffer a bit from light leakage in the top corner, but it's not really noticible unless in am in a dark room and looking at something fairly dark on the screen. But for me I just prefer an OLED screen though. There is just something about those inky blacks that gets me every time. Not to mention I know most people don't like the oversaturated colors, but I do. Although I think the fact that I have colorblindness may contribute to the fact that an oversaturated OLED screen just looks better to me.

Oh and even though the camera on the S4 was noticibly better I have still been able to take some absolutely phenominal photos with the N5... granted I have taken some pretty crappy ones too. But It is possible to take very nice pictures with it, Oh and the OIS is also a very nice feature to have that was missing from the S4.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I went from a Galaxy Note 3 to a Nexus 5. No regrets at all so far and I can't wait for Lollipop when its released for Nexus devices. The Nexus 5 is a really nice phone.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung are bloated and slow phones, you'll be glad you made the jump. The Nexus 5 is so much quicker and better IMO than the S5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae